anyone replace their own cell phone screen?

so i finally managed to crack the screen on my galaxy s4. cell repair places want over $100 to replace it. i have found DIY repair kits online for under $30. anyone try to do this themselves? im just curious how easy or hard anyone else has found this.

Is the DIY kit just the glass lens, or is it the whole LCD/digitizer assembly?

If you get the frame assembly it is easy. Just glass sucks and you might break your digitizer. I wouldn't put any money into an s4 Phone Post 3.0

I replaced the screen on my iPhone fairly easily. There's likely a tutorial on YouTube that'll walk you through it. Phone Post 3.0

Man, those DIY screen replacements can be tough. I ordered one for my old iPhone 6 and apparently there is a screen on top of the touch screen part. If the bottom screen gets damaged at all, then it can be a problem, apparently. I even looked it up on YouTube and they all said to take it somewhere to be fixed if you haven't done it before.

Not sure if it applies to your phone, but just telling you what I ran into when my screen broke 2 months ago. Phone Post 3.0

Get an Otterbox Defender case next time to minimize the chances of cracking/damaging the phone.

I tried once... Watched some tutorials, looked pretty easy, bought the kit, broke the phone worse than it was, bought a new phone. Good luck buddy. Phone Post 3.0

took it to the local mall and paid 99 dollars, 15 mins later I had a new screen.

this is the link to the kit im looking at. says it has the digitizer as well. probably gonna be $40, since I will want to get the tool kit as well.

http://www.repairpartsplus.com/LCD-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Galaxy-Ace-4-White-p/GPS27802.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmpW6BRCf5sXp59_U_ssBEiQAGCV9GrzqaTUEYhc9-g-N1-ivZ0x1hsd_CV895GbDMgBnIHMaAl5w8P8HAQ#links

I've done it before with my old blackberry phone via Youtube tutorials. Tried doing it on an S6 but ended up breaking one of the adaptors, of course I was at work and doing a bunch of other shit.

You definitely need precision screwdrivers, peace and quiet, and a clean area to work with.

TFK_figure8 - I replaced the screen on my iPhone fairly easily. There's likely a tutorial on YouTube that'll walk you through it. Phone Post 3.0
I did my wife's battery which goes past the remove the screen part. Definitely second websites and YouTube videos. I got my parts on eBay for cheap. Phone Post 3.0

back in the days i repaired my old iphone 3gs, it was a bit of a pain in the ass but doable.

Every model is a bit different, some are easier, some are a bitch, so i'd look up a tutorial for your model and see how you feel about the whole procedure.

frankenchrist - this is the link to the kit im looking at. says it has the digitizer as well. probably gonna be $40, since I will want to get the tool kit as well.

http://www.repairpartsplus.com/LCD-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Galaxy-Ace-4-White-p/GPS27802.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmpW6BRCf5sXp59_U_ssBEiQAGCV9GrzqaTUEYhc9-g-N1-ivZ0x1hsd_CV895GbDMgBnIHMaAl5w8P8HAQ#links

This part is for a Galaxy ACE 4, not a Galaxy S4.

Remove the battery and find the model number of your phone please.

<blockquote>VFR - <span id='userPost57237308' class='User-353372'><blockquote>frankenchrist - this is the link to the kit im looking at. says it has the digitizer as well. probably gonna be $40, since I will want to get the tool kit as well.<br /><br />http://www.repairpartsplus.com/LCD-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Galaxy-Ace-4-White-p/GPS27802.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmpW6BRCf5sXp59_U_ssBEiQAGCV9GrzqaTUEYhc9-g-N1-ivZ0x1hsd_CV895GbDMgBnIHMaAl5w8P8HAQ#links&lt;/blockquote>

This part is for a Galaxy ACE 4, not a Galaxy S4.</p><p>Remove the battery and find the model number of your phone please.</p></span></blockquote>

good call. mine is the sch-i545.<br /><br />what about this one? makes it sound like the digitizer doesnt really matter.

http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Replacement-Samsung-Microfiber-Instruction/dp/B00DUR2GZM

I did this on a Galaxy S3 and fvcked the camera LMAO
but hey the screen is working pretty well

I replaced the screen on my iPhone once. Told myself I wouldn't do it again. My time is better spent elsewhere, plus you don't save all that much doing it yourself. The last repair company (iCracked) drove out to my work site, replaced the screen, and put a screen protector/plastic film on my phone in 30 minutes. The screen protector/film thing is great because I ended up cracking the screen again, the film over the top is holding it together and I can barely notice the cracks. Phone Post 3.0

frankenchrist - <blockquote>VFR - <span id='userPost57237308' class='User-353372'><blockquote>frankenchrist - this is the link to the kit im looking at. says it has the digitizer as well. probably gonna be $40, since I will want to get the tool kit as well.<br /><br />http://www.repairpartsplus.com/LCD-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Galaxy-Ace-4-White-p/GPS27802.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmpW6BRCf5sXp59_U_ssBEiQAGCV9GrzqaTUEYhc9-g-N1-ivZ0x1hsd_CV895GbDMgBnIHMaAl5w8P8HAQ#links&lt;/blockquote>

This part is for a Galaxy ACE 4, not a Galaxy S4.</p><p>Remove the battery and find the model number of your phone please.</p></span></blockquote>

good call. mine is the sch-i545.<br /><br />what about this one? makes it sound like the digitizer doesnt really matter.

http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Replacement-Samsung-Microfiber-Instruction/dp/B00DUR2GZM

If you've never repaired a phone before, then it will be near impossible for you to replace only the glass lens. If you only do the glass lens then you may also lose some touch screen sensitivity and increase the thickness of the screen (i.e. the new lens might sit above the edge of the frame, and then if you add a screen protector it will be even thicker).

There is a layer of LOCA (liquid optically clear adhesive) between the lens and the digitizer. Meaning that you actually look through the lens, LOCA, and digitizer in order to see the picture displayed on the LCD. If you do just the glass lens you have to scrape all that off without damaging the digitizer and LCD before installing the new lens. The new lens comes with strips of adhesive that you cut and apply around the outside edge of the screen, so instead of a layer of LOCA between the lens and digitizer you would just have empty air space. That's why touch screen (digitizer) sensitivity can be affected. And the strips of adhesive are usually thicker than the layer of LOCA, which is why just replacing the glass lens can make the screen thicker.

I would suggest replacing the LCD/digitizer assembly. If you can get the framed part (LCD/digitizer already installed in the frame housing) that would be the easiest, just make sure you get the frame housing specifically for your verizon i545. The LCD/digitizer is the same for all the different variants of the S4, but its the frame housing that is different depending on the model numbers.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to answer.

I did my iPhone 6, it was a pain but doable Phone Post 3.0