Anyone Shoot Lever Guns?

I'm hoping you can talk me out of buying a Rossi '92 16" lever action carrbine in .38 Special/.357 Magnum.

Here's what I got so far...

Cons:

Ammo is practically not available in .38 or .357, so right now it will cost approxinately $1 a round to shoot.

I already have a 9mm carbine and a modded Ruger 10/22, so it doesn't fill a ckear need.

I have a safe that stores two rifles, so I don't know where I would put it.

Pros:

It is available right now but will likely be gone by the end of the week.

It is new and is being sold for less than retail... $500.. no tax and the transfer is paid by the seller.

It is a versaitile size in a versatile caliber that matches what I carry, and it is old school understated unlike the profile of my other rifles.

So... help me to not buy this gun.

Lever actions and 38/357 are finicky. I had a Henry and if I was using .38 and tilted the gun in any direction other than up I would get misfeeds. The difference in length of the round and the lever action didn't work well together.

This might be different for a Rossi. The Henry has a bit of a weird action for the lever with the tube. The lever action does not feel anything like a Winny, imo, so a Rossi might be ok.

WikiTheWalrus - 

Lever actions and 38/357 are finicky. I had a Henry and if I was using .38 and tilted the gun in any direction other than up I would get misfeeds. The difference in length of the round and the lever action didn't work well together.

This might be different for a Rossi. The Henry has a bit of a weird action for the lever with the tube. The lever action does not feel anything like a Winny, imo, so a Rossi might be ok.

Interesting. I can't say if this is a yay or nay vote, but I appreciate the info.

1 Like

Do it faggot. 

Owned a Rossi 92 in 357 and sold it. Wish I hadn't. 

1 Like

Also took a deer with it last season using Hornady leverevolution loads. 

FatChrist Magic -
WikiTheWalrus - 

Interesting. I can't say if this is a yay or nay vote, but I appreciate the info.

I sold mine, so it's a no. But again, that was a Henry. Between the tube loading and misfeeds it wasn't much fun to shoot.

But I encourage you to get a lever action,  just not a 38/357 unless you're going to use 357 exclusively.

I've been reading up on the Rossi's and they don't seem to have any issues with feeding the two different caliber sizes... however, a number of folks have said they are inconsistent in terms of quality control.  The good ones are great for the money, but the lemons aren't worth the price of admission.  Since this would be a private sale I need to find out what kind of warranty and coverage Rossi offers.  Even basic gunsmithing is expensive, and shipping guns in MA is a complete pain in the ass.

Don't get a tube fed leveraction. 

WikiTheWalrus -

I Have had no misfires or jams with my Marlin. 38/.357. But only a couple hundred rounds through it so far.

I love a lever action rifle cause of night of the living dead 68.

Favorite guns. 

I've got a 30.30 and 44mag lever action.  The 44mag is fun but if I had to choose id go with the 30.30 just because it's more versatile.  If you aren't going to do any cowboy action shooting with a matching caliber single action revolver I'd pass

Picking it up Wednesday. Plan to be a full on cowboy this time next week.

Lever guns are my absolute favorite. In 

I have a Henry .44 mag/spl and it's fun and versatile, definitely no problems with misfeeds.  That said, .44 mag is pretty painful to shoot with a high grain load, leading me to usually shoot special for target practice, and ammo is very expensive.  It's not affordable to just plink away with. 

30-30 winchester or marlin is the GOT truck/atv beater gun. Grizzle bars, injuns, rabid coon hound; you're covered.

I have a Rossi Ranch Hand - .45 long colt

It’s solid and haven’t had any problems.  I might even sbr the fucker.

I start to fill up just hearing/seeing lever action haha. Prolly mostly a fascination I’ve carried since a kid.

ive got a .308, a .22mag, and a .410 in lever action. love them all fun to shhot (well not the .308, it can hurt)

Damn it, want to buy one now. Henry or Marlin 45-70

my favourite bush gun. Savage 1895 in .303 savage (very similar to a .30-30, nothing like a .303 British.)