Anyone Shoot Lever Guns?

you already know not to get it. not a rifle caliber. unimpressive. 

I had a very nice upgraded Browning lever .308. never liked it. If you need a general purpose rifle. get one of the many bolt action rifles with a shorter barrel for less than that. Savage makes some real nice decent rifles. bore lap it when you get it brand new. makes them very accurate. 

Any firearm will become super valuable eventually, IMO

John Cable -

you already know not to get it. not a rifle caliber. unimpressive. 

I had a very nice upgraded Browning lever .308. never liked it. If you need a general purpose rifle. get one of the many bolt action rifles with a shorter barrel for less than that. Savage makes some real nice decent rifles. bore lap it when you get it brand new. makes them very accurate. 

What’s a “rifle caliber”?

Not trying to thread jack but I’ve never thought twice about owning a lever action long gun. Always fancied semi autos and bold action. I think I want one now. What’s the issue with tube fed models?

Tube fed rifles are slow to load and can be picky about loading different calibers. 

Burt Reynoldz -

Not trying to thread jack but I’ve never thought twice about owning a lever action long gun. Always fancied semi autos and bold action. I think I want one now. What’s the issue with tube fed models?

Centre fire rifles in a tube lines up the primer with a pointed tip, so you can’t use those (oops, boom); plus, using a hammer to fire is not very sturdy so it can’t handle modern  high pressure rounds. Some levers like the BLR and the savage 1895, 1899 and 99 use a sliding block action which elimates the load pressure issue. I’m only superficially familiar with the BLR, so not sure what type of magazine it has, but the Savages use a rotary, so there’s no issue there either. 

I love lever action rifles. May not be a popular opinion but I hate Henry rifles. I think they’re shitty. I think my uberti 45 long colt is my favorite gun to shoot. 

My second rifle was a 25.20 and loved it. I was a kid. I don’t know how it would hold up if I shot it today but I loved it back then. 

I like lever actions. My marlin 30-30 that my grandfather bought me is probably my favorite gun. I’ve killed more deer with it than any other.

I had a Henry 22 when I was a kid. Really nice gun. My dad said someone stole it out of his truck but I’m pretty sure he pawned it for beer money.

1 Like

.357 and .38 special are easy as hell to reload

I have Winchester 22 and 30.30 94s and a marlin 357 lever.  All are awesome and work perfectly.  Recommend 10 out of 10!

Also, you're having trouble finding 38 ammo?  That's about the only thing I always see in stock!

OP, since you bought the Rossi, I recommend you buy this DVD which shows you how to smooth out the action and other improvements:

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=2&zenid=02am8cv3603rjjj250bakabek1

I used it and it made a world of difference in my Rossi 92 .357 magnum. I bought mine about 6 years ago and the action was really rough. Rossi supposedly has improved their QC and the Rossi levers coming out now are supposed to have much smoother action out the box. I bought a .44 Mag Rossi last year and indeed it was much smoother out the box than my .357 from years before. But the DVD I suggested will help with other issues too like the load gate being too stiff and the ejector flinging the cases about 10 yards away, among other things.

Buy that guy’s DVD and his DYI Action Job Kit. But don’t buy his other stuff like sights and rails, which don’t get very good reviews.

1 Like

Look at the Puma version. It is like the Rossi, but fit & finish are WAY nicer.

I shoot a Marlin 1895G in .45/70.

I have never owned a pistol caliber rifle, so I can offer no help other than to say lever-guns are fun as hell, and quite reliable.

The downside to my gun is the fact that good ammo is about $3 per shot.

1 Like
Pilgor the goat - 
Burt Reynoldz -

Centre fire rifles in a tube lines up the primer with a pointed tip, so you can’t use those (oops, boom); plus, using a hammer to fire is not very sturdy so it can’t handle modern  high pressure rounds. Some levers like the BLR and the savage 1895, 1899 and 99 use a sliding block action which elimates the load pressure issue. I’m only superficially familiar with the BLR, so not sure what type of magazine it has, but the Savages use a rotary, so there’s no issue there either. 

With large caliber (or any other cal. besides a .22) lever-guns you use hard-cast, flat-point, solid bullets.

A Ruger #1, and the Marlin lever-gun, are both specifically listed on the box of ammo.

They are the ONLY guns that can handle the 35,000 lbs of pressure these cartridges create. It literally says to use them in no other gun but those two. Especially not a rolling block or a trap-door gun.

I am speaking of specifically .45/70 ammo from Garrett, Buffalo Bore, Corbon, or the like.

1 Like

The OG rocks. Thanks for all of the advice. I'll let you know if I shoot my eye out.

FatChrist Magic - 

The OG rocks. Thanks for all of the advice. I'll let you know if I shoot my eye out.

You’ll have lots of fun doing it.

Another good thing about lever guns is that they will likely NEVER end up on any state’s “banned” list.

While it will never be as fast as a semi-auto, with practice you can cycle them very quickly, and the .357 Magnums out of a carbine have a LOT of velocity and stopping power.

I've had a .444 Marlin since I was a teenager and i love it. It'll put down anything I'll ever want to hunt. In times like these you can still find ammo, but it's better to reload because it's not cheap.

It's a fun round to look into.