anyone stop itemizing deductions?

just stared putting my 2019 taxes togeather and thanks to these unreal interest rates i refied at earlier this year and the new, higher standard deduction, this might be the first year i take the standard deduction in like 20 years.  i know old people have wrestled with this for ever, but i'm only 45.  i guess it makes things a lot easier.

anyone else take the standard deduction in 2019/ 2020 after itemizing for years?

I did because it ended up about the same. 

The rules for what can be itemized changed drastically. Most people found that itemized deductions no longer equaled a return. If your taxes are calculated correctly you wouldnt owe or get a refund. If your still using turbo tax or HR Block software. I wouldnt expect you to understand that simple concept. 

Yeah we don't have income tax in wa and with the higher standard deduction I am on that now. The news tax policy has dropped me close to 3%. 

I do. i don't care if itemizing might save me a little bit of money, its worth it to me to not waste any of my time dealing with thinking about any of that bullshit. Is anyone here actually itemizing so much more than $12k that it actually makes it worthwhile?

Of course you still have to do all the work to see which way you are better off so it really doesn't save any time. 

EricM -

I do. i don't care if itemizing might save me a little bit of money, its worth it to me to not waste any of my time dealing with thinking about any of that bullshit. Is anyone here actually itemizing so much more than $12k that it actually makes it worthwhile?

Its 2x that if you're married.

I used to itemize before the recent tax changes, it barely saved me any money when I did it.

Fake Pie -

Yeah we don't have income tax in wa and with the higher standard deduction I am on that now. The news tax policy has dropped me close to 3%. 

I'm in CO so our income tax is pretty low and is phased out around 40k.  Were all pretty healthy.  Even with my property and sales tax deductions, I'm thinking it's going to be a wash.

And I'm a Jew so obviously not much of a charity deduction.

TzTinkle - I used to itemize before the recent tax changes, it barely saved me any money when I did it.

If  you have an expensive house with a new 30year mortgage at a high rate it often makes sense.  But I only owe 460k on mine and I just refied at 2.625 from 3.875 so that's like 12k of interest year 1.  I have to come up with another 12k in deductions.  Hard to do.

I itemized until Trump increased the standard deduction.

baj54 -

The rules for what can be itemized changed drastically. Most people found that itemized deductions no longer equaled a return. If your taxes are calculated correctly you wouldnt owe or get a refund. If your still using turbo tax or HR Block software. I wouldnt expect you to understand that simple concept. 

no, the standard deduction changed dramatically.

just locked a crazy mortgage rate.  good bye itemized deductions.

EFM - 
baj54 -

no, the standard deduction changed dramatically.

It was both. They also put caps on the major itemized deductions.

I still itemize because I can fully deduct all of the spousal support I pay. Otherwise I probably wouldn’t.

Trump fixed the tax code. No more shady accountants putting the entire country in danger of audits because of shitty standard deductions, overloaded tax brackets, and loophole tax breaks.

oranos -

Trump fixed the tax code. No more shady accountants putting the entire country in danger of audits because of shitty standard deductions, overloaded tax brackets, and loophole tax breaks.

It was McConnells bill.

pm1964 - I still itemize because I can fully deduct all of the spousal support I pay. Otherwise I probably wouldn't.

Damn dude that sucks. 

pcuzz - I itemized until Trump increased the standard deduction.

This

Yes last year but only because of the new SALT limitations. My propert taxes alone maxes that out. 

I will be itemizing this year since my wife has a new job working from home.