Anyone teach MMA and TMA??

I believe Jason Delucia is succesfully teaching and incorporating
MMA with Aikido. Apparently it confused and pissed off some
people on an Aikido forum.....it was quite funny.

Anyways sounds interesting. Would love to hear if BJJ/Aikido can
work together and how. There is a very respected Aikido Sensei
(One of the founders students) who is also teaching BJJ.

Here's the link to Delucia

http://www.aikidog-sales.com/aikicenter/

TTT for a TMA Forum

One of Ueshiba's students teaches BJJ???????

Unfortunately, there is not enough real interest in having a TMA forum. a couple months back the deal was almost sealed, but fell thru from lack of interest to help set it up from other forum members.

glock4life --

I'd be glad to help, what's involved ?

Nowhereman22000...gonna go find the book and reference for
you.

Made a mistake. The Aikido's teacher lineage is as follows

Kimeda Sensei under Shioda Sensei (direct stundent). The Aikidos
teacher name is Mits Yamashita who's teacher is also Rorion
Gracie.

Taken from a book called " Aikido Talks : Conversations with
American Aikodoists".

Here is a qoute from Yamashita:

"When we grappled it was no contest. I attacked this man (Helio)
who was 75yrs old and 130lbs with everything I had but there was
nothing I could do to him. He would neutralize my attacks without
breaking a sweat. He would hold me down, laugh as I was
struggling and talk to his son. For 30 minutes I was humilated.

On the ground , Helio would neutralize my movements without
using strength just as Ueshiba Sensei would neutralize his
attackers movements while standing.

Brazillian Jiu Jitsu is Aikido on the ground"

Intresting/

nhbphotographer, I need your e-mail.

I teach BJJ/MMA, and I also teach Kenpo Karate/Modern Arnis. Here's why:

1) The BJJ/MMA program rents its space from the Kenpo studio, which is not mine. If I discontinue the Kenpo, my BJJ program may no longer be welcome.

2) A few of the Kenpo instructors are open-minded enough that they attend some of my MMA classes and workshops. They are even entertaining the idea of adding a small grappling/mma component to the mandatory kenpo curriculum.

3) I do not yet have the funds to start a kids program in MMA, so I work with kids the best I can in the kenpo classes. I help them train the material in an alive, real way so that they build functional skills, despite the heavily choreographed curriculum. This makes me feel better about the 15 years I spent learning kenpo.

~TT

glock4life

My yahoo account is inactive, please email to
rrohling@mmaphotos.com when you have time.

Thanks

"When we grappled it was no contest. I attacked this man (Helio) who was 75yrs old and 130lbs with everything I had but there was nothing I could do to him. He would neutralize my attacks without breaking a sweat. He would hold me down, laugh as I was struggling and talk to his son. For 30 minutes I was humilated. "

That's a GREAT quote for the BJJ community though! How old was Yamashita?

NHB, check your mma.tv e-mail.

replied back , thanks/

Nowhereman ---It doesn't mention his age at the time, ut I'm
assuming 40's.

Here's another good qoute

"It would be useless to have competition in Aikido, the beauty of
Aikido is flowing and harmonizing with a partner. But , if Aikido
students want to develop warrior spirit , they can do it with
grappling." - Yamashita

Check it one more time.

I have taught "Americanized" versions of Karate and JJJ classes for over 10 years, now. They are loosely based on the original TMAs, but they are technically not TMAs any longer. I've always taught with with more of an MMA approach, although we still retain a belt system (similar to JustinM's program, it sounds like). The Karate class is structured with TMA type formality and discipline, and geared more for the teens who need it. It is also geared more for developing fitness and coordination, with a practical self defense emphasis. A lot of the material I have learned from Tony Blauer has been integrated into it at this point, as well. (And anyone who's trained with Tony, knows that he is about as "alive" as you can get!)The Jujitsu class is really an MMA class that my original instructor and I started in 1992, and is geared more for those who want to learn all aspects of street AND sport fighting. It's evolved a lot over the years as my instructor retired from teaching (he is now following God's new path for him), and I have taken it in directions that have paralled and followed the whole crosstraining revolution. I teach a grappling/BJJ program as well, as outlined and authorized to me by Roy Harris.Finally, I still teach a traditional Kenpo Karate class - TOTALLY TMA - to those who wish to learn it. I keep it around for a few reasons:
1. It balances out the curriculum for those who do not want to be combat athletes, yet just enjoy doing "katas" for exercise.
2. It is a bridge to black belts from other TMAs (especially the multitude of TKD schools around). They see it as "similar" to what they do, which gives us a reference point for comparing the other classes I teach without "offending" them. I don't ridicule what they do, but I can give them constructive criticisms on the "weakness" of their program for certain applications, and criticize one of my own programs at the same time for the exact same weaknesses (it's all about psychology, folks!!) Instead of being insulted, they sometimes check out what the other classes have to offer - and those that have are usually hooked pretty quickly. Much easier than saying "your style won't work, you should just do what I do."
3. For those who have never been athletic, or those intimidated by a "full contact" program, it is a good class for them to get their feet wet, develop a baseline of fitness and coordination.
4. Lastly, for those who have taken the Kenpo class and decide to move on, they have a better and deeper understanding of what the TMA classes are all about, having seen the grass on both sides of the fence. Let's them more intelligently discuss issues within the arts, rather than succumbing to trolling-type remarks or getting bogged down into martial politics born of ignorance.All martial arts have their place in society. Not everyone WANTS to be "effective" in the street or ring. Some people would rather do a Kata than an aerobics class, or point spar than play softball. The students I have that are like this REALIZE that what they are learning will likely not save their life, but that isn't why they took up training in the first place.Adam LaClair

Adam,

Thanks for sharing. It's imtresting to see how TMA's are adapting
to MMA.

Very good post Adam.

Although i have only been going on and off the HITS program does the style i used to do through blackbelt (Escrima and Kenpo) and mma/bjj. The Dog Pound in Corvallis does TKD and Bjj. There are several more in Oregon that i know of.

Adam,

are you a proffesional MA teacher, or do you have to support
yourself with a day job ?

Just curious.

By the way,

I laughed my ass off at the "thread license agreement."

- Adam

nhbphotographer,

I have always had a day job up until recently. A few years ago, I got promoted to supervisor and all but closed my school for 2 years. A year ago I got laid off, and now I am just working a part time job during the day and teaching at night. Not really making much money - we are in an economically depressed corner of Vermont, where people can't afford classes if I charge more than $50 a month for UNLIMITED!! But I enjoy it and have helped keep quite a few kids out of trouble. Getting into real estate investing now. If that pans out, I'll be able to just teach for the fun of it! :)