Anyone Train Gracie Combatives?

Been training in BJJ a long time, and now Judo. But I'm also really interested in Gracie JJ, as rolled out by Rener and Ryron. Anyone here train with them or a satellite school. Would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance!!

Old Fart

no but i watched the videos

good instructionals

I heard that even if you come in with a BJJ black belt, you have to put a white belt back on because it's a very specific system they teach. Wow.

SeagalDancingInChechnya - I heard that even if you come in with a BJJ black belt, you have to white belt back on because it's a very specific system they teach. Wow.
To be fair you only have to wear the white belt for the length of time it takes a blue belt to arrive through the mail from Torrance.

??

i have a few friends that do the combatives thing. they kind of think their lineage is 'pure' and all other sources aren't. i do think it's a good system for teaching and learning self defense, but definitely wouldn't go there to learn the latest techniques.

lol

Years ago there was a thread that featured Royce demonstrating the techniques.

IIRC,  they would get you hurt.    Not a very good system from what I remember.

that was the self defense stuff from the book with charles. The combatives dvd's are mainly really detailed basics videos.

I did for a while. It's a pretty solid system imo. I have since moved on. If you start off as a white i think you'll be pretty happy. If your a higher rank get ready for headaches and politics.

SeagalDancingInChechnya - I heard that even if you come in with a BJJ black belt, you have to put a white belt back on because it's a very specific system they teach. Wow.

That sounds bad at first, but don't worry because you'll get another black belt in six weeks from them or your money back

the interwebz blue belt promotions are B.S, the instructionals themselves are very well done though. I've been collecting instructionals for over 30 years and as far as grappling goes, those are probably the best set for a beginner, imho.

As greasy as the internet blue belt thing is, i heard Roy Harris has interwebz promotions all the way to brown.

de braco -

the interwebz blue belt promotions are B.S, the instructionals themselves are very well done though. I've been collecting instructionals for over 30 years and as far as grappling goes, those are probably the best set for a beginner, imho.

As greasy as the internet blue belt thing is, i heard Roy Harris has interwebz promotions all the way to brown.

haha, they offer black belts after a one week in person evaluation...