anyone use Blackberry to admin Network remotely?

looking for network admin apps to allow remote admin stuff with a blackberry. Anybody do this now?

Never seen any before for the blackberry. I use my blackberry as a dialup modem via bluetooth and then vpn into work from my laptop when i'm on the road.

Rove has a slick App called PC Mobilizr which is basically RDP to a desktop or server. Its not available currently though, think its in testing, they closed registration.Rove also has Mobil Admin, which is damn nice, unified for most all platforms, has a client for the Blackberry, then an install on the servers. Here's a link..http://www.rovemobile.com/mobileadmin/features/I am currently trialing RDM+ client from SHAPE. I can actually RDP to my machine with it, but of course the connection speed sucks. It will do in a pinch while on vacation, etc.

I don't know of an app for the devices, but many firewalls allow for SSL VPN/webvpn which can give you some limited access to apps without requiring a client push.

Wow small world. I'm a developer at Rove. I work on Mobile Admin. If you have any questions about the product let me know.

We use Rove. It's badass. Just load the server component on network server and load the app on your blackberry and BOOM!... you are administering your shit

Thanks JBALL! It's nice to work on a 'badass' product.

You are right, the goal of Mobile Admin was always to allow you to administer boxes without having to install an 'agent' on every box.

I can't promise anything but our plans for version 4.2 of Mobile Admin include adding RDP, VNC, SSH and TELNET capabilities to both our Blackberry AND Windows Mobile clients.

This way you can use our existing GUI style administration as well as a shell style of administration via your smart phone.

We also offer up a web client so you can use our product to administer from a laptop as well.

Any more questions let me know.

what's a job pay to be that connected?

i use my laptop with a broadband card to vpn in.

stephen

NHBDaddy - Rove has a slick App called PC Mobilizr which is basically RDP to a desktop or server. Its not available currently though, think its in testing, they closed registration.Rove also has Mobil Admin, which is damn nice, unified for most all platforms, has a client for the Blackberry, then an install on the servers. Here's a link..http://www.rovemobile.com/mobileadmin/features/I am currently trialing RDM+ client from SHAPE. I can actually RDP to my machine with it, but of course the connection speed sucks. It will do in a pinch while on vacation, etc.

NHBDaddy,

Is the product (IT management from a mobile device) you are looking for something you would just use in a pinch or is it something you would use on a regular basis?

StephenL - what's a job pay to be that connected?

i use my laptop with a broadband card to vpn in.

stephen

StephenL,

Let's say you were caught away from your laptop would having a solution on a mobile device be helpful? Would it be something you could/would use?

"Is the product (IT management from a mobile device) you are looking for something you would just use in a pinch or is it something you would use on a regular basis?"

I'm thinking regular basis. I'm a sys admin at a care facility, and my main need is getting to AD to create and edit accounts like every damned weekend. I would like to be able to do that from anywhere instead of being chained to a laptop or my home comp. The blackberry isn't the best device for this, but seems functional for what I need.

Stephen is def. going the safest route with the bb card over VPN, but I just dont wanna drag a laptop to the beach or camping for the weekend ya know?

if i'm on call then i carry my laptop.

there's no way that i could do what i need to do on a dinky screen.

stephen

I'm thinking regular basis. I'm a sys admin at a care facility, and my main need is getting to AD to create and edit accounts like every damned weekend. I would like to be able to do that from anywhere instead of being chained to a laptop or my home comp. The blackberry isn't the best device for this, but seems functional for what I need.

Stephen is def. going the safest route with the bb card over VPN, but I just dont wanna drag a laptop to the beach or camping for the weekend ya know?

NHBDaddy,

Do you use Mobile Admin for your AD administration? It basically break down the Active Directory MMC into individual screens. It would probably be easier than RDPing.

StephenL - if i'm on call then i carry my laptop.

there's no way that i could do what i need to do on a dinky screen.

stephen

StephenL,

What specifically can't you on a dinky screen?

Mobil Admin looks sweet. Can you add specific programs to it? I have an inhouse app t hat I need to run and add users too as well, thats why RDP is nice to open it through the front end on the server

As of now Mobile Admin does not offer plugin support but it is coming within the next few releases. We are doing this to speed up in-house development and also to allow customers to manage their custom apps.

The good thing about Mobile Admin is we have a wide range of tasks you can perform, we even do Domino admin, but if we don't support your task, you can RDP/SSH/VNC through the Mobile Admin server so you don't have to poke holes in your firewall.

We have clients who need RSA authentication, which Mobile Admin supports. So they log into the Mobile Admin server via RSA and then SSH authenticate to their target box, not to mention the built-in encryption through the BES connection.