Anyone use Power Block or Bowflex dumbells?

Looking to buy a set.  Reviews?

My friend has a powerblock that goes up to 50kg+ and he swears by the thing and claims he never needs to buy another set of dumbells again.

I was looking at buying some myself but the initial cost was far too much for what I actually needed it for.

I suggest a high quality product off of eBay if you don't want to pay retail price and don't mind a little wear.

I have been looking on ebay and craigslist but it doesn't look like I will find a set below a $300. 

From what I have learned it seems like people prefer the Power Block but they look so big and cumbersome. 

I own two sets of the Bowflex adjustables (up to 52.5 and up to 90) and I love them. I doubt they offer anything more than the Powerblocks, and I wouldn't have purchased the 90s but I got them on sale at Dick's (the Powerblocks never seem to go on sale). They are large and cumbersome, particularly at 90, but you get used to it.

You have to be pretty careful with the Bowflex version, though. They seem, and I've heard they are, very delicate. I lift on some durable thick carpet, and I still make sure that I sit them lightly on the carpet and NEVER drop them. By looking at them, I think the Powerblocks would be more durable.

Powerblocks go up to 125 fyi. I'm pretty sure 90 is the largest for the Bowflex version.

They have powerblocks at our work gym. If i had my own set up, they would def be what I would buy. They are a little awkward vs regular dumbbells, but you save a ton of $ and space using them. You can get a great workout with them and do pretty much any exercise with them you could do with reg dumbbells & they are great for pull overs.

Good stuff. VU's

I've used the Bowflex ones before several times while on holidays.

They're convenient but they feel awkward. Better than nothing and useable but as a gym-goer for 15 years I wouldn't want to have to use them regularly. Phone Post 3.0

5 years ago a friend who used the bowflex ones was doing chest press, and one of the weights came down and almost hit his face. It got his shoulder instead.

He stopped using them from that point forward... Phone Post 3.0

Another note about the Bowflex ones is that they are a bit picky and you have to have them set very precisely sometimes to get the weight that you want.

Not the end of the world but annoying.

No experience with the power blocks so I don't know if they are the same. Phone Post 3.0

LitUp - Another note about the Bowflex ones is that they are a bit picky and you have to have them set very precisely sometimes to get the weight that you want.

Not the end of the world but annoying.

No experience with the power blocks so I don't know if they are the same. Phone Post 3.0

The gym at my office has 4 sets. They all seem to have their own weird quirks you have to figure out. Kind of a pain in the ass, but again, best case scenario if you have a home gym IMO. I think the boflex at least have the advantage of not having the annoying pillar design.

the bowflex are too long so you wont get full range of motion on certain exercises as the dumbbells will be hitting eachother. i have some powerblocks and they are great.

I have a BF set and use them 4-5 tiems per week.  I like them and have had zero trouble with them.

Both of these products hold their value so that says something.

I've had my power blocks for 20 years and they still look like new after using them all of this time. So easy and so convenient.

Don't get the bowflex. I had a similar story as the user above. My plate fell out and landed on my iPhone. The locking mechanism doesn't work right on some of them. Just Google it Phone Post 3.0

I just bought a set of powerblocks for my wife at sears. She does the body beast program..lol...Anyhow, Theey are good. They are actually have a nice feel to the grip and changing the weights is pretty quick and easy. I'd recomend them

ThePrinceThatWasPromised - 
johnsonbarr - 

Both of these products hold their value so that says something.

^came here to say this actually.

c2 rowers, versaclimbers, powerblocks, york barbells...

What they have in common is that certain things hold their value in the strength world with nothing more than word of mouth. it's because they're fucking fantastic and generally well built (and of course scarcity).  

I would love to have the c2 dynamic rower but that's $1,250.  Can't justify that.

Good post.

I've been running the powerblocks for years (15 years) they go up to 90 I think. Have tried bowflex and don't like them. The stands suck, they are always the same length no matter the weight, and feel cheaper than the powerblocks. Phone Post 3.0

I have a set of IronMaster Quick Locks

Vote for power blocks here. Phone Post 3.0