anyone watch the contender?

if the rest of the series is as good as this first one, then this is a definite winner.

it was interesting showing the backgrounds of the different fighters, the drama, the build-up to the fight, then the fight itself.

the only thing i didn't like about it was the opening song; forgot what it was, but it's way overused.

i can't wait for the next one. :)

Pretty good show aside from the highly edited fight. The general audience might not be too crazy about 5 rounds of 154 pounders otherwise so it's understandable. It would be cool to be able to watch the entire fights online.

The backgrounds were well presented and looks like they got some real talent for the show. Surprising and dramatic fight.

its a good format...

even with the weight ins, press confrence, and the then fight...

million dollars ain't bad either...

I thought it was great... really great. I was upset with the editing of the final fight but yeah... what can we do about it?

I liked it. Seems like the ratings for Monday's showing weren't too good, though.

Hopefully having The Apprentice as a lead in to tonight's episode will garner more viewers. It would suck to see it get cancelled so soon.

I just saw it for the first time tonight. It's a pretty solid show. Substantially better than TNGC. I hope it gets enough rating sto stay on the air.

So Manfredo Junior lost in the first episode to Gomez? Man, what an upset..Manfredso had to be a favorite going in. What happened, was he beaten up pretty soundly? Did he pick Gomez or did Gomez pick him?

And now Johnathon Reid loses to Brinkley. Props to brinkley for stepping up and choosing him to fight.

This is a pretty interesting show...i'll watch it next week for sure.

Peace.

The East Coast team is getting tooled so far. Seems like the West Coast is indeed the best coast, eh?

At least when it comes to boxing.

That unreal. Gomez actually called out Manfredo. That guy has balls....then his teammate Jesse calls out Jonathan Reid....and they both win.

Unreal.

I also thought Manfredo could clean up in this.

"Anyone who is a boxing fan shouldn't have missed it. It was fantastic! Manfredo getting tooled by someone I've never heard is the reason why I never bet on fights."

Crap!!! I had company over while I was watching The Contender and felt like a fool when I predicted an easy KO for Manfredo.

I guess that is why boxing is referred to as the theater of the unexpected.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Contender/

Sundays is new time slot. so heads up!

One of my buddies missed Thursday's show
as he did not know it was shuffled around.

Way better than "The Next Great Champ". The fights are still too chopped up for my taste, but at least you have a decent idea of what's going on. The quality of the fighters is much better too. I could've beat those chumps on NGC, and I'm nobody.

That Ishe dude is a punk, I bet/hope that he's the first from the West to get beat.

Good point. Ishe Smith is supposedly the best guy on the team, yet he's hesitant to step up and pick someone to fight? Definitely bush league; especially since he's been running his mouth off so much.

Meanwhile Gomez and Reid call out probably the 2 best guys on the East Coast team...and proceed to beat them.

Ishe really did come across as being a little b*tch in comparison.

"Crap!!! I had company over while I was watching The Contender and felt like a fool when I predicted an easy KO for Manfredo."

lol...man how could you have known!!!

"Ishe Smith is supposedly the best guy on the team, yet he's hesitant to step up and pick someone to fight?"

The funny thing is that you're gonna have to fight eventually anyways...so why not take advantage when you have a choice of everyone and when actulaly have the choice as opposed to be the chosen one? I think their is a pyschological edge in being able to choose who you fight.

If I remember correctly, didn't Ishe get a gift decision vs Randall Bailey?

Anyways, time to go start pounding back a whole lotta Molsons.

Peace out guys.

Yeah honestly I hope ishe gets a good shit kicking. Like honestly wtf. He calls out some dude and says he will wip his ass but then when he has the chance to do somthing about it he bitches out. After that his "teammate" calls somone out and ishe hopes that he gets knocked out in the fight. Like what the fuck that punk ass bitch needs to get ktfo naw mean.

"If I remember correctly, didn't Ishe get a gift decision vs Randall Bailey"

yes, and he damn near cried after getting it

ya see..Ishe could have done this a week ago and would have been chillin....

So Manfredo is back. Hopefully he shows something this time round.

That last episode was frikkin sad with Najeh Turpain being the highlight of it. One of the last words they showed him saying was "I see greatness for myself in the future"

Very sad.