AOJ Instructor Fired Because of Facial Hair

Or word on the street is :

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/art-of-jiu-jitsu-instructor-fired-because-of-facial-hair/

Man, some of those rules are a bit much. Phone Post 3.0

I remember reading a list of Gracie Barra rules before. AOJ's remind me of that:

01. Always be respectful.

02. Always address Rafael and Guilherme as Professor and non-black belt instructors as coach.

03. Absolutely NO coaching your children or other students during class.

04. If you are late, wait outside the mat until the professor gives you permission to join.

05. Do not leave the mat area without permission from the Professor or Coach.

06. During class, when the instructor is demonstrating the techniques, every student must sit or stand in good posture.

07. Talking should be kept to a minimum level and should relate to the class subject.

08. No foul language inside the school.

09. Keep feet clean. No dirty feet on the mat.

10. You must wear shoes or flip flops when you are not on the mat.

11. If you are wearing flip flops, you must clean your feet before you step on the mat.

12. You must always wear a shirt or rash guard inside the academy.

13. All training gear and bags should be left in the locker room, not on the benches around the training area.

14. The uniform must be clean at all times. A dirty uniform is a sign of disrespect.

15. Be respectful towards your training partners.

16. All jewelry, piercings, necklaces, and other items should be removed during training.

17. Keep fingernails and toenails neatly trimmed.

18. All students and visitors must wear a white uniform.

19. Absolutely, no other school/ affiliation patches may be worn for training.

20. No electronic devices allowed in the training area.

21. No shoes, food, or drinks on the mat.

22. Be humble.

23. Believe & Achieve.

With that said, I feel that facial hair is perhaps not the real reason this guy got fired.

When I visited it was pretty strict but Rafa and Gui were very welcoming.

I get what they are doing and can appreciate it to a degree but it's certainly not for me. Phone Post 3.0

Almost the exact same rules as Barra.

Also, the guy claims its facial hair but I will reserve judgement until the mendes Bros say it was that.

People who are fired say all kinds of shit Phone Post 3.0

A hairy situation either way

Brian McLaughlin -

Exit thread left Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post 3.0

It is their academy and they can dictate what they want plus I do not see the rules too strict.

lol my club would already fail 14 out of 23 AOJ rules

NicolasRGC - lol my club would already fail 14 out of 23 AOJ rules

really, why? most of those rules seem like common sense. which ones are excessive?

People can say what they wish. Fact is, I am 100% sure they didn't just fire a person because he didn't shave one day. People want to hate on AOJ a lot. From coaches to keyboard warriors. Fact of the matter is, they run a very successful academy, they are world champions. And a website took a disgruntled persons facebook post and turned it into a headline. Always 3 sides to every story my friends.

BALEIA - People can say what they wish. Fact is, I am 100% sure they didn't just fire a person because he didn't shave one day. People want to hate on AOJ a lot. From coaches to keyboard warriors. Fact of the matter is, they run a very successful academy, they are world champions. And a website took a disgruntled persons facebook post and turned it into a headline. Always 3 sides to every story my friends.
Agree'd when I went to visit there they were all very welcoming

I have a hard time believing that? Phone Post 3.0

walbjj -

really, why? most of those rules seem like common sense. which ones are excessive?

Aside from hygiene and maybe talking a lot are over the top.

My Professor is VERY chill with all of that Phone Post 3.0

Brian McLaughlin - 

Voted up.

The kid who got fired is a former student of mine, great kid and slick BJJ. I think he has been on a spiritual journey of sorts really embracing yoga and a more eastern philosophy lately. From what I gather he has been letting a beard grow for quite a while and didn't want to shave and just be natural and that's why they let him go. Evidently coaches there are not allowed to have excessive facial hair, as he has a small goatee for a while. There still may be more to it as well.

walbjj - 

02. Always address Rafael and Guilherme as Professor and non-black belt instructors as coach.

04. If you are late, wait outside the mat until the professor gives you permission to join.

06. During class, when the instructor is demonstrating the techniques, every student must sit or stand in good posture.

07. Talking should be kept to a minimum level and should relate to the class subject.

11. If you are wearing flip flops, you must clean your feet before you step on the mat.

13. All training gear and bags should be left in the locker room, not on the benches around the training area.

14. The uniform must be clean at all times. A dirty uniform is a sign of disrespect.

Pretty sure we'd break these rules on a regular basis

NicolasRGC -
walbjj - 

Pretty sure we'd break these rules on a regular basis
Same but 4,11 and 14 Phone Post 3.0

-11 Phone Post 3.0

I don't know if I could train in a place where selfies on the mat are banned