Aoki-Hansen opinions?

We usually see Aoki jump guard and work from bottom, but his work from top- striking, passing, controlling- was also excellent.

Aoki does make history here...against someone like Hansen no less!

Yes Biggy, i was thinking the same thing....

Yeah, BJ did try the gogoplata against GSP. BJ, Schembri and Aoki are the only guys I can ever remember even trying it in MMA (I'm guessing Strebendt probably has but I haven't seen it) so Aoki deserves huge credit for catching someone the level of Hansen in it.

With that said though, I do wonder how much of an advantage those long tights give him in terms of slapping on a submission from the bottom. I mean, I know the usual comeback to that argument ("it's not illegal in PRIDE, anyone could do it...") but still, I'd like to see him in a fight without them against a guy the calibre of Hansen. Although he did son Kikuchi without them so...

Bravo is a really big supported of pants in MMA, sin't he? I seem to remember him saying that about Royce.

Granted, Aoki's getting these subs cause he's sweet, not because he's wearing ugly pants.

Max

"BJ, Schembri and Aoki are the only guys I can ever remember even trying it in MMA"

Shogun tried it on Arona. I've seen it attempted a few times in the UFC also; most of the time it works more to set up an escape or other sub.

"I was amazed one of my favorites, Hansen, got beat so "easy". Both looked like assholes though. What do people think of Trigg's comments that the tights are a big advantage?"

Looked like assholes? I was frying my balls off on acid last night and really appreciate Aoki's contribution to my trip.

...and it's true about the tights, they cause friction which makes submissions harder to slip out of.

"Shogun tried it on Arona."

That was an omo plata.

For you Good ol boys, i'm now renaming the gogoplata the "Foot All Up In Yo Neck Choke"

that gogoplata was slick

Is the vid on youtube yet?

Aoki is very good but I think Shaolin, who has ten submission wins to Aoki's five, is stil the best grappler in a MMA environment.  A fight between those two would be great but I see Shaolin dominating from top position.  The Go-Go-Plata is a rare submission but that doesn't make setting up and finishing other locks or chokes any less technical or advanced - they all require skill.

i dunno if id call him the best pure grapplers but he one of the best finishers for sure..

"i dunno if id call him the best pure grapplers but he one of the best finishers for sure.."

He's not the best pure grappler. He is the best MMA applied grappler. there is no doubt about this.

Aoki definately has the best guard in MMA.Minimizes damage while being offensive.I think Shaolin is the best grappler in MMA,with Aoki in a close second.Once Aoki has more MMA fights though I think he can surpass Shaolin.

aoki has a more dangerous body type than shaolin imo. and i think shaolin is the shit.

lol @ EY's applied MMA wisdom. Dude you never trained a day in your life have you

Also people need to give up on the whole Aoki vs. Garcia BS.Yes Aoki got smoked fast by Garcia,but Garcia doesn't fight MMA.Shaolin got smoked in ADCC by Garcia too.Once Garcia fights MMA,people can talk about how he'd do against Aoki & Shaolin in MMA.

Someone said BJ Penn with his amazing 30% Submission Finish Percentage?

Perhaps like most BJJ and BJ Nuthuggers you have confused his Knee Flexibility with Subnmission Prowess in MMA?

Aoki trembles when you mention the name Garcia, Wyatt.