APEX: CAGED INFERNO -- JAN 13TH

APEX: CAGED INFERNO
JANUARY 13TH 2007 AT THE ROBERT GUERTIN ARENA IN GATINEAU

Budweiser presents APEX: CAGED INFERNO, the debut of cage fighting in the national capital region. For the first time in APEX history all mixed martial arts bouts will take place in a chain linked, six sided steel cage.  This event takes place on Saturday January 13th, 2007 at the Robert Guertin Arena in Gatineau, Quebec.

Fans at the Robert Guertin Arena we will be part of a nostalgic evening as they will not only be privy to this inaugural moment in Canadian MMA history, but they will witness to the return of a Canadian MMA icon.

Saturday January 13th, 2007 marks the return of the 'Pimp', Sean 'Pimp Daddy' Pierson (4-3), as he takes on APEX Canadian Middleweight Champion Fritz 'The Animal' Paul (8-3). There is no love lost between these two fighters, as both are brash, both are cocky and both do not think to highly of each other. 'Pimp Daddy' holds a first round submission victory over Paul's trainer, Ali Nestor, so at APEX: Caged Inferno 'The Animal' will be looking for redemption. Paul was extremely impressive at APEX: A Night of Champions where he won a close 3-round decision against popular home town favourite, Nabil “The Thrill” Khatib.

Khatib (5-1) has also been added to the APEX: Caged Inferno card as he looks to return to his winning ways against Edmonton’s Daryl ‘The Storm’ Bonar. Bonar, a member of the Canadian military brings a record of 3-1 to the cage and is looking to position himself amongst the top tier of APEX Canadian middleweights. The winner of this bout will take on the winner of the Paul/Pierson bout for a shot at APEX Canadian Middleweight Championship Gold.

In a battle for the vacant APEX Canadian Lightweight Title, undefeated APEX veteran Shaun ‘The Phenom’ Krysa (4-0) takes on the experienced Thierry ‘The Surgeon’ Quenneville (9-5) who is coming off a tough 3-round decision against Greg Compton. Fireworks are bound to explode in this bout as both fighters are not known to back down from an all out war.

The debut of the cage is not the only 'first' at APEX: Caged Inferno. For the first time in the organization's history, there will be a woman’s fight in the National Capital Region. Not since the days of MMA events on Indian reserves has there been a woman’s fight in Quebec. On this night, Kingston’s Rebecca Sweeney (2-0) brings her undefeated record to face the extremely tough and talented Jessica Aguilar (2-1) representing the much heralded American Top Team. This bout will be for the APEX Women’s World Lightweight Title.

Fans of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu will be happy to hear that making his North American debut at APEX: Caged Inferno will be one of the worlds top Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practictioners in Leo Santos (1-2). Santos’ MMA debut was against Pride champion Takanori Gomi, where he took him to a close decision on only two weeks notice. Santos’ record in BJJ is legendary and he is proud to join the APEX stable of fighters, where his brother Wagnney Fabiano has been featured as a main event fighter.

Also competing on the card will be Mike ‘Hurricane’ Hong, Bryan Edge, Dan ‘Bighouse’ Grandmaison, Jacob ‘Hot Sauce’ Macdonald, former Canadian Olympian Ainsley Robinson, Cedric Grenon, Ronin MMA’s Wade Shanley and Rory McDonell. Look for more information on the fighters competing in the other bouts shortly. Also, look for an additional top level bout to be added in the very near future.

Unfortunately due to a medical suspension incurred in his most recent UFC bout, Jeff ‘The Inferno’ Joslin is unable to compete at APEX: Caged Inferno. Joslin will still be attending the event on January 13th to support his teammates on the card and to meet all his loyal fans.

Tickets for APEX: Caged Inferno are available through all Ticketmaster outlets at www.ticketmaster.ca or by calling (613) 755-1111. Don’t miss this spectacular event where you are guaranteed to see some epic battles in the APEX cage, brought to you by the region’s top MMA event: APEX CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTING.

APEX: Caged Inferno could not be possible without the support of our partners, Hardcore Championship Fighting, Budweiser, Ottawa Sun, Team 1200, Hayabusa Fightwear, Team Bushido Martial Arts, Ronin MMA, Ottawa Academy of Martial Arts, 100% Martial Arts, Brauti-Thorning LLP, The Score Television Network, Bell Express Vu, Viewers Choice, Cineplex Odeon Theatres, Liam McGuire's and Showdown Entertainment.

Is Jason Von Flue off the card as well? Or are you guys going to try and find him an opponent for the main event?

Von Flue got injured in his fight with Cung Le and had to be replaced as well. The main event is now Sean Pierson vs Fritz Paul

Even without a main event this card is looking to be pretty exciting. I've seen alot of those guys on the past Apex cards and they have put on some great performances. I'm really looking forward to seeing Santos and Robinson as well, should be a fun night of fights. Are there any local clubs where we can pick up tickets to avoid paying the ticketmaster tax?

Cool to see Ainsley fighting MMA.

Greg, thanks for the support. We were really looking for a great fight between Joslin and Von Flue, but these things happen in the sport. We were hoping this fight would have gotten Jeff to the UFC, but the UFC were smart enough to bring him in earlier and they were excited about this fight as well.

We're looking to add another couple fights as well and get a very solid opponent for Leo.

Tickets will be available with Nabil Khatib at Team Bushido Martial Arts and Ronin MMA. Email me at alex@apexfighting.com and I will give you their contact info.

I'm going to be a happy man in January. This card on the 13th, then the next weekend the KOTC Freedom Fight card. Good time to live in Ottawa! Too bad there weren't any fighters from Igor Yakimovs or OAMA on the card. The local guys always seem to put on a hell of a show.

Local fighters are always welcome on APEX events. Unfortunately the timing wasn't right with OAMA this time around, but I expect to see at least Mark Holst in the cage/ring by next show.

card looks awesome, can't wait!

Mark Holst is one guy I am especially interested in seeing fight again. In his Apex debut he looked to be about 20 lbs smaller than his opponent, but Marks striking was amazing. That was an A+ fight. The other OAMA guy put on a great show too, he had Grandmaison in trouble a bunch of times but just couldn't finish. I've been extremely impressed with both the OAMA and Ronin camps out of Ottawa. Looks like lots of fight talent in Ottawa.

Is Adrian "The Bully" Woolley a top level wrestler? If so I remember him from my high school wrestling days, scary individual, looking forward to seeing that fight, he tore guys up in wrestling.

Greg Compton

Mother F@$!%, I wanted to see The Inferno tear apart Von Flue, still a good card though

Definately a ton of tough guys at OAMA and Ronin. The second OAMA fighter was Nick Castiglia. He dominated Grandmaison for at least one round, but unfortunately Dan had just too much heart to give up. That fight sold me on Dan as a warrior and Nick as a real talented competitor.

Adrian Wooley is the wrestler. He was recommended to us by Sean Pierson and we've heard a lot of great things about him. Chris Myra has wanted to get into the ring for a long time and was willing to fight anyone, so we put this together.

Pierson alone is worth the price of admission. His entrances are crazy!!!

Huge props to Pierson for fighting a VERY tough Fritz Paul in his first fight back. Pierson could have easily taken a few 'easier' fights but wanted to face the champ immediately.

Pierson's entrances are crazy but, IMO, the real reason why he is worth the price of admission is the fact he has more raw talent for this sort of thing than is actually necessary. If he shows up ready to go . . . Fritz gets to say he lost to one of the best.

Rebecca Sweeney is facing a real opponent here and we predict she will shine.

Of course, Leo Santos (Nova Uniao multiple time BJJ World Champion, great instructor and all round nice guy) brings to the table the skills to elevate the whole promotion to another level.

Yup, we like this card!!! :) Congratulations!

Rebecca made a lot of fans in her first two fights and she really wanted to step up in competition. I'm learning the fighters in the women's divisions but I went to one of the world's top schools and they recommended Aguilar. That was good enough for me.

Leo's two losses have come against some of the world's top at his weightclass. I think we'll see in January how similar he is to his brother.

To give folks an idea of how Leo Santos likes to proceed in Sub Wrestling, when he faced GSP at the ADCC, he performed a FLYING ARMBAR to get what appeared to be an easy win! Not sure what sort of MMA exhibition we will see from Leo, but this guy is a grappling marvel - no question.

ttt for Leo Santos.

And yes, Rebecca is facing a tough opponent (nice person also) but can get the win.