Apollo Creed: American Patriot

One the most overlooked aspects of the Rocky movies is just how much of a patriot and good guy Apollo was. He was never the villain. He was alway a patriot and a warrior.

He gives a local fighter a shot, a white guy at that, because he believes in America. A smart businessman, but at his heart a noble move.

So he has a hell of a fight, gets his ego checked. Gets hatemail calling him a fraud and wants his revenge. He gets told dead in his eyes by his trainer to pass on a rematch and take the easy fights. He will have none of that. He is the world’s heavyweight champion. He isn’t backing down from no man. He gives it his all, but falls short. He does the honorable thing and gives props to his opponent, something most alpha males couldn’t do in that situation dealing with defeat.

He then befriends the white guy who beat him to help train his friend to beat a black man. Let me get this straight, American was always this rotten, racist place but we have a buddy film from 40 years ago that didn’t care about their race?

5 years retired some cheating Communist on roids challenges him, too cowardly to fight him fair. Despite being probably a decade out of his prime he accepts the fight because he is a true American patriot.

“It’s us against them, Stallion.”

He was willing to die to fight Communism. He went out on his shield like a warrior. He believed in America because it gave him the opportunity to become the man he was. Apollo Creed was the epitome of what an American should be. Probably one of the best characters in cinema history.

37 Likes
2 Likes

I want this painting in my house

3 Likes

The character was marvelously used as both a Muhamed Ali’esque foil and as an American hero. And Weather’s performance was stellar.
Rocky uses some pretty deep mythological patterns to weave a timeless classic. But if you’re an SJW nut, you can easily interpret the plot as White supremacism.

3 Likes

His son did him proud.

5 Likes

Yes, this would be a perfect painting for my basement/gym.

1 Like

A perfect post. You sir win.

3 Likes

Truff

3 Likes

apollo GIF

Yes.

4 Likes

Sylvester Stallone Smile GIF by Rocky

Sylvester Stallone Running GIF by Rocky

sylvester stallone legacy GIF by Creed II

3 Likes

I still get an endorphin drop when I hear the GET UP ROCKY music.

People who say nobody can take a beating like that and keep going need to watch Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 2 and 3.

sylvester stallone fight GIF by Rocky

4 Likes

Great thread and write up OP!

Apollo is the greatest… even Rocky says so.

4 Likes

“THERE IS NO TOMORROW!!!”

2 Likes

Great post

1 Like

Copy-of-No-Matter-What1

4 Likes
2 Likes

Yo Apollo!

1 Like

Apollo is great, but the motherfucker’s been ghosting us.

He gives away our position one more time i’ll bleed him, real quiet like…leave him here

2 Likes

Apollo was a great character and the messages contained in Rocky were all positive. They don’t make movies like this anymore.

5 Likes

I want this painted on my house

1 Like