Apparently Mendes tried to pry open Conor's gash.

john joe - 
JonJonesBreaksPregnantWomen'sBones - Is it illegal to fuck with a cut using the fingers? Phone Post 3.0

yes its illegal

its also something which to the best of my knowledge was pioneered by Mark Kerr during his prime 'smashing machine' days, but that was when it was NHB

pro boxers do it as well, when they clinch up they will try and rub the cut with their cuff/laces before the ref separates them

So what's the concensus among fighters? Is it just one of those dirty but accepted things or is it taboo?

Rumble Young Man Rumble - 
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - 
Rumble Young Man Rumble - Takes time to point this out to reason as to why this can't be a fix. Lol, this shill.
He is a shill for pointing out a legitimate discussion issue? Cool story, bro. Phone Post 3.0

Have you seen the threads he posts on most of the time? And it's not bringing up the part about clawing at the cut, its the part where he makes it into a reason as to why this fight can't be fixed (which I don't think it was to begin with)

I apologize for saying that you'll call anyone a shill for disagreeing with you. Obviously you'll call them a shill even if you agree with them.

I remember Mark Kerr talking about doing this in 'the smashing machine'. Was saying something along the lines of, if he had to do some dirty shit like that to win the fight then so be it.
Not something that I agree with. I remember seeing it during the fight and thinking that was dirty as fuck. Phone Post 3.0

Steve Iceman Little - This is interesting, I did notice Herb Dean constantly telling him to watch his fingers but I didn't notice him just try to scratch his cut open even more.

I don't blame Chad, when you have a dude cursing you out non stop you get pissed. Conor brought it on himself.
How stupid, had nothing to do with that, he was just trying to hurt him, it is a foul though! Phone Post 3.0

Low class move. I'd had the impression Mendes was more sportsmanlike than that.

It's obviously dirty.

I know the rules don't allow putting your fingers in any orphace of their opponent including but not limited to a cut.

However where it's gray is the prying apart thing. He could grab the skin that isn't cut, on opposite sides of the cut and do as they say in prison...."SPREAD EM".

Diesel67 - 

If he cut himself on his glove tape, call time out and fix it.  If YOU caused the cut, RIP IT APART.

I think people used to think "just bleed" guys were "new fans", but I think you're like me, old school and remember when you could remember all the rules, no biting, eye gouging, or fish hooking, that's it.  I like your attitude on this matter.  Making me feel more comfortable with my complacency with Chad.

Also good point Steve Iceman Little. Conor was talking shit, so if Chad wanted Conor to stop talking or stop talking shit to him, Chad gave him something else to talk about to the ref.

time traveling 12er - beep

I haven't seen this discussed but Mendes tried several times to rip open the cut on Conors eye. Here's a gif from reddit: http://gfycat.com/FastLegitimateKingbird

Dean warned him several times and it appears he even chastised him between rounds. Pretty dirty if you ask me. If there was a fix, this was a perfect opportunity to take a point from Mendes given he still did it after Herb Dean said he would take a point if he did it again. But nah, I'm sure it was still a fix.

They eye gouge in professional wrestling all the time, but interestingly enough you don't see that many eye patches in the WWE.

Arona Style. I'll allow it Phone Post 3.0

so what we have is, mendes is one of the dirties fighters. willing to break a rule to win,ufc is filled with them.

if you brake a rule it's no big deal

herb is a weak ref for not enforcing the rule.

a rule with no penalty is not a rule

Knockoutimus - GSP is awesome Phone Post 3.0
I can follow this well.

Though its illegal, its a sport where ya try to beat the shit out of another person, but it is illegal nonetheless Phone Post 3.0

Rip it open and make the bastard bleed.  All is fair in love and war.

(function(d, s, id) {  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3";  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));

(function(d, s, id) {  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3";  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));

Arona vs Sakuraba: RIP IT!

Ricardo Arona had opened a cut on Kazushi Sakuraba's face in their fight in Pride.  He proceeds to thumb the cut to open it up more.  The crowd boos and the ref warns him.  I don't know why.  Attacking an injury is part of the game, especially when YOU caused  the injury.  I say RIP IT OPEN!

Posted by Zev Stern on Thursday, April 4, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/diesel.strongboy/videos/10200951738066086/?l=6353494063969456930

D241 - Bull's eye. At 63 my days of remembering stuff may be numbered, but as long as I can I'll bring up what fights used to look like, should look like, and would look like if not for government bureaucrats and squeamish females. Ronald Reagan was right: government is not the solution; government is the problem.

Silverball - "They eye gouge in professional wrestling all the time, but interestingly enough you don't see that many eye patches in the WWE." You do know that pro wrestling is fake, but poking and gouging aren't the same. Gouging involves sticking the THUMB in the medial corner of the eye and raking it across laterally with mean intentions, as per American backwoods rough and tumble fighting:

"The emphasis on maximum disfigurement, on severing bodily parts, made this fighting style unique. Amid the general mayhem, however, gouging out an opponent's eye became the sine qua non of rough-and-tumble fighting, much like the knockout punch in modern boxing. The best gougers, of course, were adept at other fighting skills. Some allegedly filed their teeth to bite off an enemy's appendages more efficiently. Still, liberating an eyeball quickly became a fighter's surest route to victory and his most prestigious accomplishment. To this end, celebrated heroes fired their fingernails hard, honed them sharp, and oiled them slick. 'You have come off badly this time, I doubt?'' declared an alarmed passerby on seeing the piteous condition of a renowned fighter. "'Have I,' says he triumphantly, shewing from his pocket at the same time an eye, which he had extracted during the combat, and preserved for a trophy."

Yea I remember saying how shitty that was while watching the fight. I honestly think mendes was in survival mode. Phone Post 3.0

Diesel67 -

If he cut himself on his glove tape, call time out and fix it.  If YOU caused the cut, RIP IT APART.

STFU Phone Post 3.0

"but but, herb dean was paid off"

I could imagine the uproar on the UG if this situation was reversed. Conor would be crucified. Phone Post 3.0

Wtf wow I thought he was warned for eye pokes. Phone Post 3.0

Kinda dirty move but these things happen in huge fights. Like Anderson vs chaels shorts. Herb would of had to stand chad up to take a point Phone Post 3.0

This thread title sounds so dirty when read out loud Phone Post 3.0

I don't know if this was just because Chuck hates Tito so much, but I saw him on a talk show many years back and he said the refs call it the "Tito Ortiz Rule."

He then went on to explain that Tito was sticking his fingers into a guy's cut. Phone Post 3.0