Apple admits to slowing older iPhones

Apple on Wednesday said a software feature released last year makes your phone operate more slowly to offset problems with its aging lithium ion battery. As batteries get older, they don't hold their charges as well as newer batteries, and can have worse problems when the charge is low or the temperature is cold. 

The aging battery means your phone could have trouble operating or might unexpectedly shut down, like happened to the iPhone 6 and 6S last year. The processors in those devices wanted to hit faster speeds, but their batteries couldn't handle the demand, prompting some phones to simply switch themselves off.

To address that, Apple's iOS software, starting with last year's iOS 10.2.1, included better power management capabilities, the company says. The operating system slows down your device to prevent it from shutting down, Apple says, but only in cases of cold temperature, a low battery charge or very old batteries. 

Last year's software applied to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, 6S and 6S Plus and SE. This year's iOS 11.2 extended the feature to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. It will be applied to other Apple devices in the future.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-slows-down-older-iphone-battery-issues/#ftag=CAD-09-10aai5b

Slow it down so it takes much longer to surf and run apps. That should help the battery life.

Ttt.   I had a feeling this was the case. Corporate bastards !

MY gf just upgraded to the X because her 6S was running hella slow.

Scumbags.

This is just shady as fuck business practice.  I noticed it with my phone when it was ready for the new model to come out as well.   I thought it was just me but had a feeling it was related to the update .

class action lawsuit needs to happen so that companies don’t get away with this crap .

Suckers

It seems to me like a scenario that is lose-lose. The options seem to be:

1) You can reduce the performance but leave 'screen-on' time about the same.

2) You can keep the performance the same, but now 'screen-on' time will be reduced.

How about just not making a piece of shit phone that shuts off at random because it can't handle simple tasks like web browsing?

Fuck Apple.

lol@iphones.

My iDr. says to never install ios upgrades.

It's got fuck all to do with extending battery life, the newer ios's are more power hungry than the previous, and need more resources to run, hence why older phones slow down. It's the exact same when you upgrade your Windows on your laptop, you have to make sure you have enough RAM and CPU power to handle the OS before anything else runs. Batteries my arse!!

So I told a friend about this, and we tested it. He has a 6s that has been acting up. We got a battery online and replaced it, IMMEDIATE and significant performance noticed for sure. 

Jason - 

So I told a friend about this, and we tested it. He has a 6s that has been acting up. We got a battery online and replaced it, IMMEDIATE and significant performance noticed for sure. 

I mean, that should be common sense no? Battery performance degrades over time, so of course a new battery would ameliorate performance issues caused by a degraded battery. Am I missing something?

The problem is, Apple ASSUMES your phone is suffering from a weaker battery, so an otherwise decently running iphone gets throttled on the next update because of this assumption. 

I have said for years now that Apple throttles the performance of the phones after updates, and everyone's rebuttal to that was, "well there are geeks on the internet who break everything down and would instantly find that out in some kind of software code."

I guess this is them doing that? I have a perfectly good referbished iphone 7 that I can barely do anything with because the performence went to shit after the last major update. It would freeze and shut down everytime I tried to quickly scroll though my camera roll. This was previously NEVER a problem, but I guess if the CPU performance was suddenly less, it might lag then crash. 

I love the build quality of apple devices, and the iOS makes sense to me. I hate my android work phone, but damn if things like this don't make me want to consider leaving apple. 

Biggest problem is transparency.

If you go to upgrade your OS there are obvious MSRs to tell you that your PC may not handle it.

Apple meanwhile knowingly pushed updates which did not inform users that their performance or battery life may degrade after the update in the hopes it would push you to buy their newer phones.