Apple Reveals Its Spying Numbers for 2013 (So Far)

Apple Reveals Its Spying Numbers for 2013 (So Far)

Quickly following alleged PRISM pals Microsoft and Facebook, Apple just won government permission and disclosed a chunk of its data: here's a (very) rough idea of how many of our iPhones are under surveillance.

From December 1, 2012 to May 31, 2013, Apple received between 4,000 and 5,000 requests from U.S. law enforcement for customer data. Between 9,000 and 10,000 accounts or devices were specified in those requests, which came from federal, state and local authorities and included both criminal investigations and national security matters.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/apple-reveals-its-spying-numbers-for-2013-513764949

That's only the official requests for information on accounts. Not tapped phones or tracking via any gps etc...

Same with Google and ms they only revealed how many official requests were made for account information releases. Phone Post

I think prism is capable of monitoring 800,000 calls a minute (it's automated) Phone Post

CHILLITACO - 

I think prism is capable of monitoring 800,000 calls a minute (it's automated) Phone Post

Imagine what it'll be able to do in 10 years.

MarsMan -

It's funny that they don't reveal the numerous backdoors that allow their devices to be hacked:

How Juice Jacking Works, and Why It’s a Threat

That's crazy I had no idea! Vtfu when I hit a pc. Great read that one. Phone Post

Palmala Handerson -
CHILLITACO -  I think prism is capable of monitoring 800,000 calls a minute (it's automated) Phone Post

Imagine what it'll be able to do in 10 years.

Lol fully!
Well probably have phone chips behind our ears and the govt will just be scanning us walking down the street and know everything from phone records to medical issues to our current route to work =p Phone Post

This is why people blame Bush

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130617/01163623501/why-nsa-president-bush-got-fisa-court-to-reinterpret-law-order-to-collect-tons-data.shtml

BTW this is our government at work.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130614/23254623483/congressional-staffers-told-to-pretend-nsa-leak-docs-dont-exist-so-how-are-they-supposed-to-respond.shtml

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130617/01481223503/its-not-whether-nsa-surveillance-helped-stop-any-plots-whether-not-it-needed-to-spy-everyone-to-do-so.shtml

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130615/17251223497/more-than-half-senate-skips-town-rather-than-attend-briefing-about-nsa-surveillance.shtml

Oh and Google will own 60% =) cause your on a sidewalk Phone Post

The rest of the statement:

"The most common form of request comes from police investigating robberies and other crimes, searching for missing children, trying to locate a patient with Alzheimer’s disease, or hoping to prevent a suicide.

Regardless of the circumstances, our Legal team conducts an evaluation of each request and, only if appropriate, we retrieve and deliver the narrowest possible set of information to the authorities. In fact, from time to time when we see inconsistencies or inaccuracies in a request, we will refuse to fulfill it.

Apple has always placed a priority on protecting our customers’ personal data, and we don’t collect or maintain a mountain of personal details about our customers in the first place. There are certain categories of information which we do not provide to law enforcement or any other group because we choose not to retain it.

For example, conversations which take place over iMessage and FaceTime are protected by end-to-end encryption so no one but the sender and receiver can see or read them. Apple cannot decrypt that data. Similarly, we do not store data related to customers’ location, Map searches or Siri requests in any identifiable form." Phone Post 3.0

This is the part I find most interesting: "For example, conversations which take place over iMessage and FaceTime are protected by end-to-end encryption so no one but the sender and receiver can see or read them. Apple cannot decrypt that data. Similarly, we do not store data related to customers’ location, Map searches or Siri requests in any identifiable form."

Can any of the other companies say this? Google obviously cannot. The phone companies cannot. Facebook cannot. Skype (Microsoft) cannot. Phone Post 3.0

MarsMan -

It's funny that they don't reveal the numerous backdoors that allow their devices to be hacked:

How Juice Jacking Works, and Why It’s a Threat

The alarmist tone of that article is a little ridiculous.

Hacking an iPhone with a computer (a linux beagleboard is a computer) is nothing new. It's called jailbreaking.

Saying Apple has a flagrant disregard for security, as the article does, is a bit much as iOS is the most secure mobile platform. No one ever said that it was unhackable and in fact every version of iOS is very publicly hacked.

If apple has a flagrant disregard for security than how should google's regard be defined? Phone Post 3.0

^ way to avoid my question

I understood it. It was interesting. And alarmist. And iOS is more secure than Android. Would you dispute that?

If apple has a flagrant disregard for security then what does google have? What does Microsoft have?

This thread caught my attention because of it's 'apple spying' title when apple is the least of the people that should have fingers pointed at them. But articles like this get the clicks because its 'apple'. Our government, google, Microsoft, Facebook and others are all more worthy of scrutiny regarding this very important issue.

And none of those other companies can make the claim that apple made regarding iMessage for their respective systems. Phone Post 3.0

Fair enough.

It is true. It is not secure. But it is more secure than the alternatives.

And the alternatives are more deeply implicated in PRISM-gate as well. Phone Post 3.0

MarsMan - 
blue_tape_39 - ^ way to avoid my question

I understood it. It was interesting. And alarmist. And iOS is more secure than Android. Would you dispute that?

If apple has a flagrant disregard for security then what does google have? What does Microsoft have?

This thread caught my attention because of it's 'apple spying' title when apple is the least of the people that should have fingers pointed at them. But articles like this get the clicks because its 'apple'. Our government, google, Microsoft, Facebook and others are all more worthy of scrutiny regarding this very important issue.

And none of those other companies can make the claim that apple made regarding iMessage for their respective systems. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not avoiding your question..just ignoring it (for what it's worth, I think Google and MS are juts as insecure).

But the OP is about Apple, not Google or MS.

Apple claims it's product is secure, but it's not...simple as that.

You are not missing the point, you are dodging it. Nothing is secure against a governemnt with an infinite budget who wants to hack you.

Apple is more secure against steal your credit card type hackers but that's not what this is about. This is nothing to do with Apple, or Microsoft, or Google or any such nonsense. They are only doing what the men with guns ordered them to do.

Even if the government couldn't hach their software, when the FBI show's up and says give us the info or go to jail forever, it doesn't matter.

They have no choice, once the governmint wants it done, it must be so Number 1!

Police state 101.

MarsMan - 
blue_tape_39 - ^ way to avoid my question

I'm not avoiding your question..just ignoring it (for what it's worth, I think Google and MS are juts as insecure).

But the OP is about Apple, not Google or MS.

Apple claims it's product is secure, but it's not...simple as that.

NOTHING is truly secure, so your point is pretty much lost.

Good. Hopefully they bust  the assholes up to no good. As a private citizen with nothing to hide, they have full permission to snoop my shit, if it leads to saving some lives or busting some bad guys.

And there are plenty of them here on the OG. Shit, if I was the NSA I'd just snoop on those on threads like this that object the most and make the most noise.