Applying to Graduate School TME

Bachelor's in accounting, applying to HR master's programs.

Looking for any information at all

If you're in a relationship, expect to be out of it by the end.. Unless you're very substantially on the same page at the outset. It's going to be a huge time sink, especially if you're already busy with work/other stuff. Phone Post 3.0

True, was in quite a few fights in grad school with my now wife (thank god) about time. Some broken promises in my part there... Phone Post 3.0

What's your questions specifically? You left it very wide open, be more helpful for you if you have some specific concerns we can address.

That being said, grad school IMO is a load of bullshit unless you're going for a degree that's going to allow you to be some type of licensed professional that can start his own business, think Med School and Law School as examples.

I've seen lots of my coworkers over the years get their MBAs and once they completed them, they got neither a raise nor a promotion. Most often, the ones I am familiar with had to leave the company to find better opportunities with other employers.

So that being said, I think if your company is paying for you to get the degree, definitely take advantage of that benefit but if you're paying out of your own pocket, I would carefully consider if this is going to advance your career sufficiently enough to justify the costs.

Ok, that's just my general opinion based on my experiences. I am sure other OGers will chime in with the opposite position as mine and that should help give you a more balanced perspective.

Good luck bro, I wish you the best with whatever path you pursue. Phone Post 3.0

dahosse - If you're in a relationship, expect to be out of it by the end.. Unless you're very substantially on the same page at the outset. It's going to be a huge time sink, especially if you're already busy with work/other stuff. Phone Post 3.0
This guy is incorrect.

I completed a bachelors, then a master's while simultaneously also doing most of another bachelors and had gf whole time.

Win. Phone Post 3.0

My MBA program was the best two years of my life. I had a blast Phone Post 3.0

cant find a job or can't afford the payback?

Outlaw'd Stretched My Anus -
dahosse - If you're in a relationship, expect to be out of it by the end.. Unless you're very substantially on the same page at the outset. It's going to be a huge time sink, especially if you're already busy with work/other stuff. Phone Post 3.0
This guy is incorrect.

I completed a bachelors, then a master's while simultaneously also doing most of another bachelors and had gf whole time.

Win. Phone Post 3.0
My wife and I were in grad school at the same time. We both had busy schedules so neither of us had an issue.

We were childless at the time too, which helped

Mark Phone Post 3.0

Mark1 - 
Outlaw'd Stretched My Anus -
This guy is incorrect.

Win. Phone Post 3.0
My wife and I were in grad school at the same time. We both had busy schedules so neither of us had an issue.

We were childless at the time too, which helped

Mark Phone Post 3.0

Something....something...BBC....something else.....Detroit.

That Master's Degree will open up previously closed doors for you, but as other posters have already said, they will be outside of your existing workplace most likely.

Good luck man. A very small minority of American have a Master's degree from a reputable institution. Phone Post 3.0

By the way, switching to HR is a good call.  In my entire career, I have met very, very few decent HR employees.  It is really easy to get ahead in HR if you have half a brain.

Thanks for the input so far!

Some background:

I've applied to NYU and am almost done with my Cornell and Georgetown applications (hopefully one of the three accepts me).

I live in rural WV and I want to move to a larger area. I've done a good bit of research and HR seems to be a good field with good compensation and plenty of work. I am currently single, so hide your daughters.

I have a job and zero debt, but I want to make more money and do something I don't hate :)

My train of thought is that the quantitative background in accounting will help me be a better employee to management, but my personal background (coming from a not so wealthy family of people, as well as union workers) will make me more empathetic to the needs of employees.

I feel a good bit more passion for this than the soulless world of accounting

The way I would pitch the accounting background to future employers is that it will help you deal with compensation and benefits in HR (particularly health care) because you have a head for #'s.

When I was in grad school, there were several guys I knew that were CPA's trying to leave accounting by getting an MBA with a concentration in marketing.  They hated accounting.

UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

The way I would pitch the accounting background to future employers is that it will help you deal with compensation and benefits in HR (particularly health care) because you have a head for #'s.

That's a good point. I'll have to put that in the statement of purpose. Voted you up, by the way

When I was in grad school, there were several guys I knew that were CPA's trying to leave accounting by getting an MBA with a concentration in marketing.  They hated accounting.

I think every accountant hates accounting, to be honest.

T?bikan J?dan - 

I look at the really young auditors that I deal with every year, some of them hide their hatred for their jobs better than others, but they all hate their jobs.

T?bikan J?dan - 

I look at the really young auditors that I deal with every year, some of them hide their hatred for their jobs better than others, but they all hate their jobs.

Yeah, hopefully I can get into a decent school and get into a different field. Praying