Apprentice Exams for State of CA Dept. of Water Resources

CDWR will be testing online for 4 apprentice positions Sept. 24-30th.

Pay is ok for an apprentice but will turn into a 6 figure position when turned out to journeyman. I’m unsure about the Utility Craftsworker journeyman pay & know that it’s a bit lower than the HEP positions.

Good opportunity for someone looking to begin a trade.

CalCareers

CalCareers

CalCareers

CalCareers

3 Likes

Any point in applying if you’re a white, heterosexual male?

4 Likes

Yes. Plenty of those work there, including current apprentices.

1 Like

I should clarify that these are 4 separate jobs & not one job with 4 openings. There will be multiple openings for each position. Number of openings for each I can’t say but they are brought on in classes.

The 4 are:
HEP Electrician
HEP Mechanic
HEP Operator
Utility Craftworker

HEP=Hydro Electric Plant

2 Likes

Still not worth living in California for

4 Likes

To each their own. If you’re already here & wanted to learn a trade or had a kid that wants to enter the trades, it would be a great opportunity. You can also earn certifications that carry across North America if leaving CA is on the horizon

1 Like

Going to bump this up. The position applications are up. Here’s one for the Apprentice Hydroelectric Plant Operator:

https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=270148

2 Likes

Zero reason to live there.

1 Like

Again, to each their own. If an OG’er has a kid that doesn’t want the college pathway, this is a good way to teach them skills that can & will stay with them for life. It’ll also give them opportunities they wouldn’t normally have open to them.

1 Like

So without training you take a test and they place you into one of 4 areas?

They hire journeymen? How often do they hire? My wife retires in a few years and we’ve talked about moving down there.

You can test for all 4 positions I believe. I didn’t apprentice at CDWR but talking with the lifers it sounds as though you test into them then apply for the position when open, if you qualified for it.

But correct, apprentices don’t need experience.

Yes. They regularly hire journey level people. If you don’t have several years of work left though I’d recommend other entities that offer more money up front with reduced retirement benefit packages

Geographically, where are you looking? I might be able to point you in a better direction

She likes Palm Springs and I like San Diego. Ha.

I have a pretty good job with defined pension and benefits so it would take a pretty good job to get me to move. More than likely we’ll get a place down there and she’ll split time and I’ll just keep on with my career here. I like what I do so I’m in no rush to retire.

1 Like

You would be in the area for SDG&E, SCE & LADWP. Farthest south CDWR goes is Riverside, San Bernardino area in the east and Burbank to the west(closer to Castaic lake really than Burbank).

SCE is a good company to work with. I used to be with the former sister company EMOMI (they both fell under the Edison International banner). SCE isn’t big on ot so you’ll just work your normal schedule outside of major emergencies.

I have a former coworker who’s a shift supervisor at the grid control center for SDG&E. Has nothing but good things to say about them as well.

LADWP, if run like their GCC, will be an overtime job. The guys & gals in the GCC can easily double their base salary from ot. Not sure if you’ll be looking for that but those are your main options.

There will be plenty of IPP’s around that area as well if you’re willing to work at an independent power plant. Calpine, AES, and several others all over that area.

If you want a small city or county utility just search the local where she picks up a house.

1 Like

Crap, I forgot about MWD(Metropolitan Water District). They’re huge in that area & now control a few of their own small hydro stations