Aquaman and outrage to come? SPOILERS

This should be interesting...oh and SPOILERS

So, something really big happens in this month's AQUAMAN (Aquaman #44).  It should be a very big deal for SJW, but I'm betting it won't be.

SPOILERS next post

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/30/the-aquaman-story-that-will-launch-a-thousand-headlines-major-spoilers/

In Aquaman #44, Aquaman teleports into Atlantis for an impromptu appeal to the better nature of Mera, his ex-partner-not-wife who he has been in mortal combat with.

And guess what? It seems to go well…

Make-up sex is always the best kind of sex, even when it’s over a fight over who should have won X-Factor. So when it’s over a major international and superheroic incident, it should blow the roof off.

Except…

It’s not Mera. It’s never been Mera. And right then, it definitely wasn’t Mera.

Sexual impersonation has been a long standing literary device, especially in a fantasy setting where shapeshifting becomes part of the common parlance, but of late it’s been interpreted as what it is. Rape. Which caused much more discussion in comics of late in Amazing Spider-Man, Batwoman and Superior Spider-Man.

So, yes, under any real definition, Aquaman has been raped, even though the act in the moment was consensual, it wasn’t informed. Another change to add to the list. And I think the conversation about this has just begun.

IMAGES NEXT POST

paw comments:  I don't follow Aquaman.  That said, if we switched genders on this, I'd be the SJW would NEVER stop yelling about this.  But since it's a male character, I'm betting there won't be any outrage.  

What do y'all think?  Outrage or silence?

I have no idea who that person is or why it matters.

I like how Aquaman's motor-boating that rapist on the second page.

BigWilliam - I have no idea who that person is or why it matters.

this.

Folks on another board as saying it's Siren

As to why it matters, well, that's a longer discussion.  I suppose it is a pretty big thing for the character - but I suspect this will be ignored/quickly forgotten.  Anyhoo, I posted this because I bet no one really cares - because it's a male character.  However, if this had a been a female character, I would bet that SJW would out in droves.  So far, judging from other message boards, it looks like my hunch was right.

I find that very....interesting, to say the least.

There are other reasons why might matter, and those might be very valid reasons and all, but I was only interested in if there would be an outrage from a certain segment of the population....and there doesn't appear to be.

Siren is apparently Mera's sister. There is going to be silence and if there is outrage from SJWs then it will be fake outrage over the motorboat panel. Phone Post 3.0

paw - 

Folks on another board as saying it's Siren

As to why it matters, well, that's a longer discussion.  I suppose it is a pretty big thing for the character - but I suspect this will be ignored/quickly forgotten.  Anyhoo, I posted this because I bet no one really cares - because it's a male character.  However, if this had a been a female character, I would bet that SJW would out in droves.  So far, judging from other message boards, it looks like my hunch was right.

I find that very....interesting, to say the least.

There are other reasons why might matter, and those might be very valid reasons and all, but I was only interested in if there would be an outrage from a certain segment of the population....and there doesn't appear to be.

I agree there is a double standard. I just get annoyed that dc comics seems to find it impossible to put a single fucking narrative bubble in an image like that which makes it impossible for a new reader to know what that reveal is a big deal.

At this point I so expect the double standard that I cannot even get annoyed about it.

My only double standard is I don't care about DC

So SJWs, do your best!