AR guys. Question on 2 builds...

Got bored this weekend and pulled out the spare parts bin and had enough to put together an Anderson AR15 lower and an Aero AR10 lower.

Thinking about keeping it simple and putting an 18 inch Aero upper on the A5 and calling it a day. Doesn't have a specific purpose really other than taking it along when I shoot my .308 bolt rifle to the long distance range.

For the AR15 I'm on the fence a bit. I may want to try 3gun matches when things get back to normal, so I was considering putting a 12.5 inch upper on it so it could be a 3gun/fun range gun.

Otherwise I thought it might be fun to put something more fun like .350 Legend or .458 SOCOM. I reload so ammo cost could be mitigated somewhat, and it would primarily be a range toy.

Don't have a specific "need" for either one, but i finally got tired of staring at the stripped lowers.

What would teh OG do?

Which one can I shove up my ass?

nek - 

Which one can I shove up my ass?

12.5 inch AR15 would be the easiest I guess, but if you're in a "go bis or go home" mood then I'd say take the 18 inch AR10...

In. 

Id love to build something but I live in New Yorkistan and the laws are pretty fucktarded. I’d have to do a lot of research before I was comfortable building something out so the ATF doesn’t come kicking my fucking door in. 

Speaking of ATF. A local kid ordered a number of motorcycle oil filters online. These are longer and thinner than say a car oil filter. When "UPS" delivers them, the delivery dude flips out a badge and says he's with the ATF and wants to know what they are for. The kid takes him to a very old, very rusty motorcycle in his back yard. The ATF guy bought it and left.

.350 legend seems to be somewhat of a disappointment and .458 or .450 seem to be better hunting calibers and if not hunting I’d say don’t really bother. 

id want a real stock for 3gun so I’d go 16” or 14.5” for that. Ar pistols are fun though. 

for the AR10 you could look at doing 6.5. 

Nitecrawler -

In. 

Id love to build something but I live in New Yorkistan and the laws are pretty fucktarded. I’d have to do a lot of research before I was comfortable building something out so the ATF doesn’t come kicking my fucking door in. 

the ATF probably doesn’t give two fucks about NY laws as they care about fed laws. Now NY state PD might be a different story. The big thing is just build within whatever the ny rules are. 

awilson82 - 

.350 legend seems to be somewhat of a disappointment and .458 or .450 seem to be better hunting calibers and if not hunting I’d say don’t really bother. 

id want a real stock for 3gun so I’d go 16” or 14.5” for that. Ar pistols are fun though. 

for the AR10 you could look at doing 6.5. 

Yeah, I don't hunt so the "odd" calibers are probably off the table. Hard to justify the expense of the build and ammo if I'm only going to shoot it twice a year at the range. If I keep it in .223/5.56 it will see more use.

I think I'm talking myself out of 12.5 inch just because the laws in my state are so shitty. I can do the build now (within a very narrow list of requirements) but it could become illegal with the swipe of a pen, so maybe 14.5 is the way to go.

Arodjohns - I'd go with a good old fashioned 5.56 AR/M4. Now's not the time to be experimenting with stuff.

Fair point.

Parts are pretty scarce, so it could get pretty expensive very quickly if I try to build something too "different".

You’re going to want to use at least a 16” barrel for 3 gun. Many competitions won’t let you use a pistol with a brace in place of the rifle. You’ll need the extra velocity the added length gives anyhow. 

Surgeon308 - 

You’re going to want to use at least a 16” barrel for 3 gun. Many competitions won’t let you use a pistol with a brace in place of the rifle. You’ll need the extra velocity the added length gives anyhow. 

Being a noob to 3gun I was worried that some MD's might not let me shoot with a brace gun. They're "legal" right now but even some shooting ranges don't like them.

I don't imagine this being a long-range gun so I'm not worried about the velocity loss between 14.5" and 16".

I started shooting with a 14.5” barrel and over the years went 16” then 18”. The rifle balances better, the gas systems on longer barrels are more shooter friendly. You’ll want at least a mid-length gas system or even better an intermediate or rifle length. A 14.5 is going to offer you carbine length systems only. The felt recoil is sharper which makes follow up shots more difficult. 

combine a longer gas system with low mass carrier and a good brake, your AR will shoot like a squirt gun. 223 is not by any means an uncomfortable round to shoot but making these adjustments and a couple more will really have you ahead of the game with your gear. 

Surgeon308 -

I started shooting with a 14.5” barrel and over the years went 16” then 18”. The rifle balances better, the gas systems on longer barrels are more shooter friendly. You’ll want at least a mid-length gas system or even better an intermediate or rifle length. A 14.5 is going to offer you carbine length systems only. The felt recoil is sharper which makes follow up shots more difficult. 

combine a longer gas system with low mass carrier and a good brake, your AR will shoot like a squirt gun. 223 is not by any means an uncomfortable round to shoot but making these adjustments and a couple more will really have you ahead of the game with your gear. 

BCM and at least a couple other barrel makers have 14.5 mid length barrels.