Arabian sounding scale

Does any of you know of a scale that sounds arabian or middle eastern, i have this riff in my head that i always seem to lose cause i don't know where to play it....

thanks in advance

Thats the one I was thinking of too. There is also an arabian scale

It is an eight-note scale consisting of the FIRST, SECOND, FLAT THIRD, FOURTH, FLAT FIFTH, FLAT SIXTH, SIXTH and SEVENTH degrees (1, 2, b3, 4, b5, b6, 6, 7) of the entire major scale.

"this is copied from the web, but I think its right."

Play with the Phrygian mode, it has a certain eastern feel to it. In the key of E it has the same notes as C Major: E Phrygian= E,F,G,A,B,C,D, C Major= C,D,E,F,G,A,B. Hope this helps....Joe

yeah!!! thanks!

Check the song "War" by Joe Satriani and it will have all the "arabian" sound you can handle.

Jcuff is correct.

Major: E Phrygian= E,F,G,A,B,C,D, C Major= C,D,E,F,G,A,B. Hope this helps....Joe

Ok, i need to brush up on my theory, how do i get the phrygian mode?

*sheepishly backs away into a corner*

The Secret Ritchie Blackmore Snake Charmer Scale?

Say you were playing in the key of E minor your notes woud be; EF#GABCD, but if you play in E Phrygian the notes would be EFGABCD (you basically now have a minor 2nd and a major 3rd instead of a major 2nd and minor 3rd). There are certain chord progressions it sounds better over but I would just experiment and see what you come up with. Let me know if you need any other help with this....Joe

thanks man

DasBeaver, the scale you describe is also the C whole/half diminished scale.

To play the E phyrigian scale, just play the C major scale but start and end on E. It sounds more like flamenco than arabian music. There is also a "flamenco scale" that is the same as E phrygian but with the major 3rd as well:

E F G G# A B C D E

Played up and down it doesn't sound like much, but in chords you'll get it. Play these chords: E major triad, F major triad, G major triad, then back down again. You'll recognize it as sounding like flamenco.

Hey, thats pretty cool.

there is a scale that is called(I think), the Hungarian minor you might try. It is built with the 1,b2, major 3, perfect fourth, perfect 5th,b6th,bseven, octave. I don't think that explanation was very good, let's say you are playing in E minor. The notes would be: E,F,G#,A,B,C,D,E.
Guess it could be called a phrygian with a sharp 3rd.

Yougottawanna, I didn't fully read your post. I guess my example was the same as yours.

TTT, this thread is great, lotsa new ideas for me :)