Archery and Bow Hunting, TME

I'm moving back to Wisconsin from Hawaii next month and I am thinking about getting into Archery/Bow Hunting but I am a complete noob when it comes to anything related to the subject.

Rather than going to Gander Mountain or Cabela's and looking like a total tard, I'll do it here because the OG is a wealth of knowledge on most subjects.

So yeah, where do I begin? Phone Post 3.0

You kill things with sharp sticks. Phone Post 3.0

MegaCholo2000 - You kill things with sharp sticks. Phone Post 3.0
This the the kind of valuable insight that makes the OG...special. Phone Post 3.0

Sub for OG knowledge Phone Post 3.0

I only have a 12lb bow which is pretty much for a 12 year old. Definitely want to learn more. Phone Post

Check out archerytalk.com. I have learned a lot from their boards. Phone Post 3.0

Longtime bow hunter/ competitive archer here, one thing I suggest is getting the absolute best setup you can AFFORD. Not always best money can buy as new archery equipment (bows, sights Ect.) drop off substantially after purchase. Few small tips that work for me, doesn't mean they work for everyone.

Buy a good bow: I don't know that there are really "bad" bows anymore but def some that stand out from the pack, a 2-3 year old Matthews archery or bowtech bow will shoot like a dream and be reasonably priced. Get something with good brace height, and for starting out the shorter axle to axle bows I would avoid as they are less forgiving to shoot, stay above 34 inches axle to axle and you should be good

Get good sights- if you are going to splurge on a item I would say get the most highly reviewed sight on the market that you can afford, I like single pin adjustables but there are some great multiple pin sights now that are visible in lower light

As far as rests go id say only get a drop away if you have a local pro shop that can set it up for you as they can be finicky. If all you are doing is hunting the Carolina whisker biskut is great for keeping the arrow where it needs to be without being loud but you loose about 10-15 feet per second on the arrow speed.

That's a quick run down if you have other questions post them and I'll give it my best Phone Post 3.0

I have a PSE Bow Madness XS that I love. The bow is pretty fast while still being reasonably quiet.

I would suggest going to an archery shop and see what fits you. Let the tech or bowyer help fit you, they can walk you through the whole process if they're any good at their job.

Mark Krumrine - Longtime bow hunter/ competitive archer here, one thing I suggest is getting the absolute best setup you can AFFORD. Not always best money can buy as new archery equipment (bows, sights Ect.) drop off substantially after purchase. Few small tips that work for me, doesn't mean they work for everyone.

Buy a good bow: I don't know that there are really "bad" bows anymore but def some that stand out from the pack, a 2-3 year old Matthews archery or bowtech bow will shoot like a dream and be reasonably priced. Get something with good brace height, and for starting out the shorter axle to axle bows I would avoid as they are less forgiving to shoot, stay above 34 inches axle to axle and you should be good

Get good sights- if you are going to splurge on a item I would say get the most highly reviewed sight on the market that you can afford, I like single pin adjustables but there are some great multiple pin sights now that are visible in lower light

As far as rests go id say only get a drop away if you have a local pro shop that can set it up for you as they can be finicky. If all you are doing is hunting the Carolina whisker biskut is great for keeping the arrow where it needs to be without being loud but you loose about 10-15 feet per second on the arrow speed.

That's a quick run down if you have other questions post them and I'll give it my best Phone Post 3.0
That's awesome. I'm sure I'll have questions, it's just getting late here haha.

What are some price ranges for good bows?

What kind of money should I expect to spend starting out? I'm not loaded, but I'm not poor either so I can afford something good. Phone Post 3.0

You're really asking to vague a question. Are you...

Looking to stalk or shoot from a stand?

Traditional bow or compound?

The only advice I'll give you without knowing exactly what your looking for is to take a year and just practice, practice, practice. Don't buy a bow 2 days before the opening of the season and expect to immediately go out. Skip that first season and shoot as much as you can. You and your future kills will thank you for it.

amadeus - You're really asking to vague a question. Are you...

Looking to stalk or shoot from a stand?

Traditional bow or compound?

The only advice I'll give you without knowing exactly what your looking for is to take a year and just practice, practice, practice. Don't buy a bow 2 days before the opening of the season and expect to immediately go out. Skip that first season and shoot as much as you can. You and your future kills will thank you for it.
I'm not looking to go hunting right away. More like looking to practice for a while and get some time in front of a target and get comfortable.

Like I said....very green when it comes to this and this is literally the first place I came for info....didn't even search Google yet. Haha Phone Post 3.0

Have you ever shot anything before? Do you know how it feels to take an animals life. How do you know you'll even like hunting? My suggestion would be to pay for a hunting trip and see if you like it first. Then we can move onto the smaller details.

Find a pro shop, don't mess with cabelas or any of the other big box hunting stores. If they don't measure you up first before they suggest a bow don't bother with them and move unto the next pro shop. Having the right sized draw makes a world of difference and comfortability. Perfect practice makes perfect. Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Phone Post 3.0

Get out your checkbook. This is worse than taking a dog to the vet.

I have to replace my bowstring, minimum cost is $100. Phone Post 3.0

jscorbett - Get out your checkbook. This is worse than taking a dog to the vet.

I'm in the same boat but I'm just considering getting a whole new bow since mine is so old. I'm not talking about a like '05 bow or anything, apparently my bow is older than me and I'm 21. So yeah I'd say its time for a new one but its so hard since this was my first bow I've ever had. Phone Post 3.0

jscorbett - Get out your checkbook. This is worse than taking a dog to the vet.

How are you spending $100 on a string!? I use custom flemish twist strings and those only run me about $25...

Subbed Phone Post 3.0

Sub! I'm doing my hunters safety class next weekend. Phone Post 3.0

Get lost on an island for 5 years and learn the craft to fight against a super soldier. Phone Post 3.0

Screw bow and arrow. Go hardcore. Hunt with clubs and spears. Be a real man! Phone Post 3.0

it's the most fun and exhilerating type of hunting