Are big lumbering white dudes still acceptable...

as NFL linebackers?

Haven't followed NFL in a while, who are the current Zack Thomas's and Brian Urlachers?

Not as predominate as they used to be. That model of player is typically a middle linebacker or inside linebacker in a 3-4 D.

Luke Keuchly, Paul Pusluszny, James Laurinitis are about the only white MLB/ILBs I can think of off the top of my head. Chris Borland too. (just retired after like 2 seasons).

Browns just got a mini Zach Thomas in the 7th round in Scooby Wright. Athletic limitations, but dudes an over achiever.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2083731/scooby-wright-iii

HODOR!!!

I don't think it's a matter of being accepted still as much as its a matter of those kind of players are just rare to come across. Urlacher was a freak. Huge and can cover a lot of ground. Previous guy mentioned Keuchly, the Puz and Laraunitus. Can't forget Sean Lee and Clay Matthews. Phone Post 3.0

PeteyWheatstraw - as NFL linebackers?

Haven't followed NFL in a while, who are the current Zack Thomas's and Brian Urlachers?
Do you realize how fast Urlacher was? Phone Post 3.0

He ran a 4.57 40. What part of that is lumbering? Phone Post 3.0

Cincy just drafted Nick Vigil who looks to be a Kuechly clone

Sean Lee tears shit up when he's healthy.

But, lumbers, he does not Phone Post 3.0

On a side note, I didn't tell my wife where I came up from the name "Zachary Brian" for our kid until after it was wrote down and announced.

Bronco Lawrence and Taylor Ray didn't make the cut. Phone Post 3.0

Cushing plays in the middle too right?
But come to think of it, I wouldn't call any of these white boys "lumbering". Especially Urlacher and Zach. Phone Post 3.0

Zack Thomas wasn't "huge and lumbering" per say, I've met him, super dooper nice guy btw. He was like 5'7 and 200 plus lbs. crazies part was how huge his head and neck were, I kid you not this guys neck had to of been 30 inches around. It was like a basketball in diameter. He's a solid "big" guy but he was short and stocky, not huge and lumbering. I still wear that autographed jersey with pride Phone Post 3.0

Thomas was undersized, and Urlacher was an athletic freak. Neither really fit the criteria.

Chad Greenway used to be pretty fast, but does he lumber around now after a decade in the league?

Wasn't Urlacher a converted safety.

I don't think slow describes him Phone Post 3.0

I'm honestly trying to think of "lumbering" white linebackers in the last 20 years

I can't think of any

Keuchly put up combine numbers similar to Patrick Willis. Borland/Urlacher/Sean Lee/etc. are all athletic freaks

ttt

PeteyWheatstraw - as NFL linebackers?

Lumbering? Urlacher ran a 4.5 at the combine and was the size of a DE.

When did people start shitting on Urlacher? Until his knees and legs were destroyed by 12000 cut blocks, he was a physical freak. I still remember him running down Michael Vick in his prime multiple times in a Bears/Falcons game. Phone Post 3.0

Richard III - Wasn't Urlacher a converted safety.

Correct... He actually played a variety of positions at UNM, including wide receiver and punt/kick returner.

Richard III - Wasn't Urlacher a converted safety.

I really wish there was an alternate reality where we could witness the career of Brian Urlacher the 6'4" 260lb safety Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_Messiah -
Richard III - Wasn't Urlacher a converted safety.

I really wish there was an alternate reality where we could witness the career of Brian Urlacher the 6'4" 260lb safety Phone Post 3.0
I met Urlacher at a party last year. He was a friendly guy and 6'4" 260 is no exaggeration. The guy is big. Phone Post 3.0