Are cathedrals...

Catholic or COE? Phone Post 3.0

They're pretty cool looking. Phone Post 3.0

Gothic I think Phone Post 3.0

Both. Cathedral is Latin for chair, as in throne. Bishops have chairs. So all a cathedral is is a church that is important/large enough that the priest in charge is a bishop.

Catholic churches and COE both have bishops.

Sometimes cathedrals can start out Catholic, become Protestant and then end up technically not a cathedral at all.

When Constantinople became Istanbul, one of the oldest cathedrals in the world became a mosque.

phydeau - Both. Cathedral is Latin for chair, as in throne. Bishops have chairs. So all a cathedral is is a church that is important/large enough that the priest in charge is a bishop.

Catholic churches and COE both have bishops.
Thanks. I thought only Catholics had bishops. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not religious at all but I was amazed by the cathedral structures when I went to Paris. The acoustics and architecture are awe inspiring there. Phone Post 3.0

Shinsplint - I'm not religious at all but I was amazed by the cathedral structures when I went to Paris. The acoustics and architecture are awe inspiring there. Phone Post 3.0
Definitely. Notre Dame was pretty awesome.

St Peters in Vatican City was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. Surreal. Phone Post 3.0