Are college text book prices a scam?

Ive been out of school for a while but the college text book market seems unfair to me. I understand college text books are low volume sellers and would need to be higher to recoup the costs of producing them, but the costs dont seem fair even with this taken to account.

Seems like schools and professors change text books often to prevent students from buying or selling used books. Ive heard of professors requiring multiple books, some of them which they wrote, and the content not being discussed in class or used in tests.

I heard Apple wanted to put text books on Ipads for 15 bucks but that got shit canned.

Mbs Direct is a company in the town I live. Over 800 employees and made a profit of $55 million last year. They sold to Barnes & Noble for $172 million a few weeks ago.

College is a scam.

Yes, they're a scam. They're much easier and cheaper to make and you have a guaranteed audience so they're way lower risk. I don't understand how any of that warrants a higher price.

Yes books on the best sellers list get higher circulation but does the average book really get higher circulation then the average textbook? I don't know about that. Most books don't sell more than a few copies. 

Yes.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121565135185141235
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/textbook-publisher-kickback-scam/

Yes and, unless you want to be a doctor, an engineer or something along those lines, so is college.

After the first year of school I either would wait a few weeks to see if we really needed the book or buy an old edition. Nowadays I hear some professors make you do online work attached to the textbook so you can't buy used anymore.

Of course. In addition to college bookstores absolutely ass fucking the kids. The sell 4 dollar calculators for 25 dollars and a have huge markup on books. Depending on the school they are really fucking the tax payer by providing book vouchers for kids on financial aid that they can only use in the bookstore as the money is pulled from government grants or subsidized loans.

Hard science teachers usually tell you to get a book that's used/a few years replaced. Soft science teachers have you go out and buy one of their buddies brand new shit science books in addition to a few of theirs.

Les Deplorables - Hard science teachers usually tell you to get a book that's used/a few years replaced. Soft science teachers have you go out and buy one of their buddies brand new shit science books in addition to a few of theirs.

It's always bothered me how professors and adminstrators claim to be liberals but are taking advantage of 18 and 19 year olds who don't know a thing about the world. It's really scummy stuff and no one calls them out about it.

They change a couple of words, then call it a new edition to prevent students from buying used books.

sugarhigh - Ugh, the thought of buying college books again makes my stomach turn. I would work all summer to pay for my books and housing. Buying that first quarter"s books for 300-400 bucks was such a deflating feeling.

I would have gladly taken it in the ass at the time not to have to pony up that money for books.

i wished.  usally 1200/semester and the only thing changed between editions were the questions and this was in the 90s.

My daughter is renting one from Amazon but I think it's all a hustle....as is college.

yep, considering how some professors will make you buy the book they wrote for the class, at least thats what happens at the college I work for

A lot of the times the only changes in the 'updated versions' were the sequence of chapters. This way when you used an old book you couldn't go by the page numbers or chapter index the prof gave you.

Then there's the whole 'student ambassador' thing that even tech companies are getting in on.

Perhaps the OP should start a business focused on producing affordable college text books.

one profs told us he would never use the same book twice because it was the book stores making all the money, and not saving students any money.

This worst is having a prof that assigns their own book

Packback seems like a cheaper option.

i used to do drugs with the guy who started it