Are custom shop guns worth it?

Lately I've been thinking of sending some of my guns in to get worked on.  Things like trigger jobs and polished feed ramps.  It occurs to me that this might be a lot like the guys that are constantly tweaking their cars with new exhausts or rims.  

Does this kind of stuff make a difference or is it just another way to throw money at an already expensive hobby?

I don't know if it's worth if you don't compete. Then again, people tend to like to pull every bit of performance from the products they own (like throwing headers or power adders on a street car that will never see a track). 

Maybe try doing minor things yourself?

nottheface -

Lately I've been thinking of sending some of my guns in to get worked on.  Things like trigger jobs and polished feed ramps.  It occurs to me that this might be a lot like the guys that are constantly tweaking their cars with new exhausts or rims.  

Does this kind of stuff make a difference or is it just another way to throw money at an already expensive hobby?

Depends on the gun and what they're charging for the service to be done.

What guns and service for each are you considering?

For the most part don't expect to ever recoup the money you spent on these services if you ever decide to sell the guns.

Depending on the gun, doing things yourself, like trigger jobs, can make a pretty big differnce. I put Apex trigger kits in both of my S&W pistols (Shield, and M&P 9), and it resulted in a very noticeable improvement. Another DIY immprovement you can do is to upgrade the sights.  I have had zero feed problems with my guns, so i have not taken a hard look at polishing the ramps.

I am far from a gunsmith. But if you have a popular weapon, there WILL be a YT video that will walk you thru the more common diy improvements.

Next up - about to order a Geissele trigger for my AR.  Plan on dropping it in myself.

tbizzle - For the most part don't expect to ever recoup the money you spent on these services if you ever decide to sell the guns.

This. I've spent some money on fixing up my Glock (stippling, undercut the trigger guard, new sights, new trigger, etc).  I don't expect to get much more, if any at all, over what I paid for the gun if I were to ever go and sell it. Having said that, I do it because I like shooting. 

Ive seen guns on gun broker and armslist where people will list all of their gun mods that total up to $500-$1,000 and then they are asking for $100 off the total amount of their guns plus mods. It doesn't work that way. Just because you paid that amount and set the gun up that way, doesn't mean I would spend that much or want it setup that way. Even if I did, I'm buying from you to get a deal and not pay full price.  

Bottom line, know that you are not going to get out of the gun what you put into it and if you're fine with that, then go ahead and do it. 

I PUT GEISSELE TRIGGERS IN MY AR-10 AR-15 AND MY X95. FUCKING LOVE THEM.

I would do it if you have specific issues with the gun such as you want the trigger to be cleaner or don't like the sites. I want to send my P226 in for work since I hate the trigger on it.

Triggers and feed rap polishing can be done on your own. youtube is your friend. Only work I have ever sent out to have done is a stipple job on my Glock 43.

BIGWHITESEXY - I PUT GEISSELE TRIGGERS IN MY AR-10 AR-15 AND MY X95. FUCKING LOVE THEM.

Still have a semi from the pics you posted in the other thread

BIGWHITESEXY - I PUT GEISSELE TRIGGERS IN MY AR-10 AR-15 AND MY X95. FUCKING LOVE THEM.

Which ones? I have an SD3G and SSE. Love the 3 gun trigger.

Fathead D -
BIGWHITESEXY - I PUT GEISSELE TRIGGERS IN MY AR-10 AR-15 AND MY X95. FUCKING LOVE THEM.

Which ones? I have an SD3G and SSE. Love the 3 gun trigger.
SD-C IN MY AR15 AND SD-E IN MY AR10.

TheMMAn -
BIGWHITESEXY - I PUT GEISSELE TRIGGERS IN MY AR-10 AR-15 AND MY X95. FUCKING LOVE THEM.

Still have a semi from the pics you posted in the other thread

I'M HARD THAT YOUR HARD.....