Are drummers athletes?

No 

Dudes are most definitely well conditioned. Guys like Chad Smith, Brann Dailor, Keith Moon, John Bonham. They are certainly in better condition that the bass player.

bjtrashman -

No 

So given the definition of an athlete as a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise you wouldn't consider a drummer an athlete?

Drummers are musicians. Being as fit as ya can must help bigtime!

Pumpkin Spice Jesus - 

I exert more physical energy fucking your mom.

Am I a motherfucking athlete?

About as "athletic" as crossfitters or soccer players I would say. 

Buddy Miles was a chubster

Pumpkin Spice Jesus -
homegrowncone -
bjtrashman -

No 

So given the definition of an athlete as a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise you wouldn't consider a drummer an athlete?

If drummers are athletes, so are body builders.......

and neither are athletes. 

Not negating the skill or conditioning it takes, but athlete? Fuck outta here 

Seriously OP?

Pumpkin Spice Jesus -
homegrowncone -
bjtrashman -

No 

LOL

This is the perfect response from this crowd and I'm surprised it didn't come earlier.

If you don't consider drumming a form of physical exercise you're already a lost cause trying to discuss this with.

bjtrashman -
Pumpkin Spice Jesus -
homegrowncone -
bjtrashman -

No 

If drummers are athletes, so are body builders.......

and neither are athletes. 

Not negating the skill or conditioning it takes, but athlete? Fuck outta here 

Drummers and body builders have very little in common.   Do you actually equate a body builder posing to a drummer performing in front of an equal or MUCH greater crowd as being the same thing?

opieandjimmy - No buts it's close, I've played in bands where I can rock out playing guitar but will stand in awe at dudes that can do double bass peddles and just ruuuuun shit.
You can make the same argument for guitar players as it relates to finger speed and coordination. The physical demands of these things can be called "athletics", because there comes a point in which natural ability sepeates the greats from everyone else, but to call them athletes would be like calling pro gamers athletes.

opieandjimmy - No buts it's close, I've played in bands where I can rock out playing guitar but will stand in awe at dudes that can do double bass peddles and just ruuuuun shit.

At least somebody is honest

homegrowncone -
Pumpkin Spice Jesus -
homegrowncone -
bjtrashman -

No 

LOL

This is the perfect response from this crowd and I'm surprised it didn't come earlier.

If you don't consider drumming a form of physical exercise you're already a lost cause trying to discuss this with.

No one is saying it isnt physical in nature. But it's an art, not a sport. In theory, I can perform a just a bunch of half notes on a snare drum and be considered athletic?

mrblonde1281 -
You can make the same argument for guitar players as it relates to finger speed and coordination. The physical demands of these things can be called "athletics", because there comes a point in which natural ability sepeates the greats from everyone else, but to call them athletes would be like calling pro gamers athletes.

You can not make the same argument that playing the guitar and playing the drums requires the same amount of physical ability or coordintation.  That's ridiculous.

lol. Of course not.

I wanted to say no, then I thought about Tom Brady being a glorified dart thrower with no athletic ability and you can make a strong case that dart throwers aren't athletes