Are lockdown corners worth the $$$?

Having a discussion with friends on fb and they don't seem to understand why all of these CB's are getting paid so much. I told them that the NFL is a passing league, so pass rushers and CBs are at a premium. They're Niner fans so of course they're biased due to our success without a lockdown type. What say you? Is Joe Haden worth 68 mill? Phone Post 3.0

yep, pass happy league now

CB's were the weak link for my Chargers this past season. I'm really hoping our 1st round pick works out.

They keep pointing to the Seahawks. Had to just school then about why the Seahawks are so efficient. Phone Post 3.0

Having a great corner like Sherman etc. opens up a lot of options for the defensive coordinator and limits choices for the offense. They are worth it if they stay healthy throughout the contract. Phone Post 3.0

I agree with OP. CB and DE values exceptionally high and RB values exceptionally low for a reason.

It depends on the rest of the team. Oakland went 4-12 for years with one of the best shutdown corners in football. With no pass rush, run defense, or offense they're worthless.

cruedi - It depends on the rest of the team. Oakland went 4-12 for years with one of the best shutdown corners in football. With no pass rush, run defense, or offense they're worthless.
The Raiders problem was terrible management. Phone Post 3.0

Niners front 7 is amazing and their secondary is pretty bad ass. No "lockdown" corners but some solid players. Carlos Rogers was a pretty decent cornerback.

Niners have generated a ton of sacks by only rushing 4, so they can drop more into coverage as well. Phone Post 3.0

I think cornerbacks are obviously really valuable but it seems like a bubble may be forming, especially considering what Peterson is going to get paid. Just so much cap space locked up in a guy who isn't a QB or pass rusher.

I'm from San Diego we just have safeties and linebackers. I don't know what a CB is.

MightyMorphinPowerReptilians - I think cornerbacks are obviously really valuable but it seems like a bubble may be forming, especially considering what Peterson is going to get paid. Just so much cap space locked up in a guy who isn't a QB or pass rusher.
I think middle tier QBs are doing the same thing. Stafford/Cutler/Ryan etc don't deserve that kind of dough Phone Post 3.0

ImStillHereChief - I'm from San Diego we just have safeties and linebackers. I don't know what a CB is.

Jason Verrett is going to make you introduce you to one... Kid is a flat0out BALLER!!

No. There has been plenty of good corners that played on crappy teams. Pass rushers are way more valuable. Almost every championship team has had a good pass rush. More championship team had had 4 good defensive backs, few have had superstar corners Phone Post 3.0

It's a copycat league. Seahawks won SB with a stud secondary so all stud CBs are getting paid. Phone Post 3.0

Thought this was gonna be about bigger stakes for bouncy houses. Phone Post 3.0