Are losses tarnishing Andy Silva's legacy?

Anderson says his defeats really don't matter and he'd like to fulfill his UFC contract, which means several more fights as he's aging and his skills are eroding.

In your own assessment of P4P greats, does Silva start to slide down the list as losses pile up, especially if they start coming against mid-tier talent?

Did your opinion of Fedor change when he got stopped three times in a row by big names like Werdum, Bigfoot and Hendo?

Are these MMA veterans taking some of the luster off their outstanding achievements by hanging around too long?

Here's what Silva had to say:

“Victory in my life, in your life, in everybody’s life is important,” Silva said on today’s UFC 208 conference call. “I think the more important thing now in my life is to stay happy, work happy. I’ve been fighting for a long time in my life and working hard at fighting in the UFC. I’ve changed a little bit of my focus. I focus on my family and my different jobs outside the UFC. I think for me now it’s not important how many fights I’ve lost, how many fights I win. I just bring my heart and do my best.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/02/former-ufc-champ-anderson-silva-its-not-important-how-many-fights-ive-lost

Not at all. Dude is past his prime, no reason to compare this Silva to him during his prime. Now he just fights to fight.

I think what he says is a good attitude, but I'm not sure it's reflected in the ring. He was very passive against Nick and Bisping and Cormier, he did not really display what I would expect from someone who doesn't care about winning or losing, but only about fighting from the heart and doing his best.

Nah hes still one of the greatest.

He needs to make that anderson silva money

The Muhammed Ali question in a way. I think it has detracted slightly from the air of invincibility

Not one bit. It's really enjoyable to see him still competing. Let it be a lesson to young fighters about the type of warrior spirit and competitive nature that the GOAT had. Money isn't totally the motive, rather it's about this being his life's work and what he enjoys. Plus there's a big desire inside for Anderson to get the belt again, with Bisping as Champion I think he feels that anything is possible.

Inspirational.

It's interesting that some GSP fans don't want him to come back because he runs the risk of being a shadow of his former self. They don't want to see their hero hurt his legacy.

But by Anderson's philosophy, it shouldn't matter if GSP returns and looks mediocre in the cage. What matters is that he's enjoying himself and giving it his all.

That hasn't worked out so well for BJ Penn, of course.

orcus - 

I think what he says is a good attitude, but I'm not sure it's reflected in the ring. He was very passive against Nick and Bisping and Cormier, he did not really display what I would expect from someone who doesn't care about winning or losing, but only about fighting from the heart and doing his best.

He didn't look too passive against Bisping imo. He didn't squash Nick but I think technique, skills, etc. wise he looked good but coming from a KO then broken tibia imo made him hesitant against him. And Cormier was like on a one day notice?

I'm glad I can still see him fight. I think it is the match-up of his next fight that bothers me, what is the point?

Nope, I don't think less of MJ because of his Wizard years or Gretzky when he played for the St. Louis Blues.

I'd like to say no, but fight fans are fickle. sakuraba went from GOAT to joke by fighting far past his prime (he's still GOAT to me though).

It doesn't diminish his accomplishments, but it makes him look like a terrible fighter to new fans who werent around back then, which make up 80% of who watches ufc now.

No, what he achomplished in his career in his prime is what established his legacy. Losing at the end is sad but by no means tarnishes his legacy.

Anderson Silva was so damn dominant and amazing in his prime nothing that happens now matters. He has a legit claim to the GOAT throne, which only a very select few actually have. Out of all the MMA fighters ever, you could say Silva, Fedor, Jon Jones, and GSP have a claim to being the GOAT.

I don't think a fighter should quit because the fans think he should quit. He or she should quit because they make the decision to quit. Sometimes  fans can be wrong. Dana White himself thought Mark Hunt should have quit. Some people thought Robbie Lawler should have quit before he became champion again.

However, it's a fact that fighting is a young man's game. Older fighters like Silva risk having that lesson beaten into them in a most public manner. To me so long as he's willing to take the possible punishment and a promoter is willing to pay him, let him fight. It could dim his exit, but it takes zero away from the dominance he showed in his prime.

Can't tarnish something you've already accomplished, he's just getting older and the sport is evolving.

Nope. Can you name me any legend that has actually had his legacy tarnished?

Even BJ Penn still gets respect for when he was on top. Your legacy doesn't get tarnished if you leave a big enough one.

Hell even Josh Barnett is still a legend of thebsport and will leave a legacy and how many times has he failed a test?

The only reason he isn't truly appreciated is he has yet to retire. Give it a few years and everyone will be talking about the GOAT. 

If you look at his recent losses there is nothing to be ashamed of but he definitely took a lot of losses in a row.  In a rematch with Bisping he can win it, he was just timid coming off of previous issues.  Cormier is just too big for Silva even if he prepared for it, surprisingly he didn't get KO'd against Cormier.