Are mechanics at car dealerships competent?

My experience with them has been that if the car's computer doesn't tell them exactly what the problem is, they are pretty much lost and are unable to do any troubleshooting that actually requires them to think a little bit.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Better than big o tires. I've been waiting almost 4 hours for an oil change. They were also balancing and rotating my tires. Idiots stripped my stud and lugnuts. Phone Post 3.0

The dealer is a haven for idiots. Phone Post 3.0

My dads Audi had an odd electrical problem that his usual garage couldn't solve that was causing it to not start intermittently.
It kept giving different codes and he had a few sensors replaced but it didn't solve it.

In the end he took it to Audi, they gave him a courtesy car, had it for 4 days, stripped it down and found a tiny little resistor or something underneath the radiator connected to the cooling system had burnt out. Only cost him £400 too. Pretty good if you ask me. Phone Post 3.0

the last place I would take anything is too a dealership. they are competent in ripping people off.

The mechanics at the dealership I work at are good. Phone Post 3.0

I'm sure there are plenty of new and incompetent dealer techs, but I think it's the culture in general that does not favor developing troubleshooting skills. It's all about the job and meeting the "book time" for completing, and I think they get their balls busted if they can't do everything to book time. Not sure this lends itself to intellectual curiosity if they have a choice in the matter. I guess if I drove something new or under warranty I would take it to a dealer, but I prefer to go to a local place or a shadetree where I can stand there and talk to them and give them info to help them figure out an issue.

Some are and some aren't. You do realize though that the scanner doesn't tell you what's wrong with the car. It doesn't work that way. Phone Post 3.0

Complain about incompetant technicians, or learn to fix your own car. It's that simple.

THERESmyCHIPPY - Some are and some aren't. You do realize though that the scanner doesn't tell you what's wrong with the car. It doesn't work that way. Phone Post 3.0

You mean he was wrong about something? Get the fuck out of here

Its not called the stealership for nothing Phone Post 3.0

PatK -
THERESmyCHIPPY - Some are and some aren't. You do realize though that the scanner doesn't tell you what's wrong with the car. It doesn't work that way. Phone Post 3.0

Lol. I started out in the dealership. There were some really smart techs there and some idiots. There are a lot of ppl though who think the scanner tells you what is wrong with the car. There are some codes that you pretty much know what's wrong when you see them but the code really just gives you a starting point. It just tells you what circuit/component is malfunctioning. There can be several different things causing the issue. I still have ppl try to tell me how it's easier to work on cars now since we have the computers. Lol. These are the same ppl who probably can't even change/check their own oil. Phone Post 3.0

Most shops will have one or two guys with training/ experience. The guy working on your car most likely has little experience and is probably one fuck up away from working at Mcdonalds Phone Post 3.0

Yes. At an Audi dealership here in Toronto, they couldn't figure out that my battery needed to be replaced. WTF?

Bobsdf - Yes. At an Audi dealership here in Toronto, they couldn't figure out that my battery needed to be replaced. WTF?

WTF, does Canada have socialized car repair as well as socialized medicine?

depends- my brother is a gm master tech with all certifications and a genuine problem solver. he says most of the dealership techs arent worth their weight in dogshit because they just want to do oil changes and brake jobs since they pay the best according to book time. any engine/tranny/electrical work ends up going to him since he can handle it and dig deep if needed AND beat book time. 

wish i had a job where i could work 40 hours, and bill 80. 

Bobsdf - Yes. At an Audi dealership here in Toronto, they couldn't figure out that my battery needed to be replaced. WTF?

Read OP as "incompetent". What I meant was No.

THERESmyCHIPPY - 
PatK -

Lol. I started out in the dealership. There were some really smart techs there and some idiots. There are a lot of ppl though who think the scanner tells you what is wrong with the car. There are some codes that you pretty much know what's wrong when you see them but the code really just gives you a starting point. It just tells you what circuit/component is malfunctioning. There can be several different things causing the issue. I still have ppl try to tell me how it's easier to work on cars now since we have the computers. Lol. These are the same ppl who probably can't even change/check their own oil. Phone Post 3.0

^
This... Im also a tech. Ive worked at a dealership and now independent shop. So ive seen both sides of it. I have worked with idiots at both places. Problem is this job just burns you out, wears you down, and everyone thinks your a crook.

Every dealership garage has the 2 or 3 gurus and then half of the group are good for oil changes, brake jobs and tires. With OBDII the scanner really does tell the mechanic what the problem is 90% of the time, maybe even more. I wouldn't knock a guy for being stumped by something like chafed wiring harness causing all sorts of unheard of intermittent problems, but I will talk shit about the guy who can't separate a ball joint.