Are soccer kicks to the body legal on a downed....

Opponent ? Under the unified rules. Also stomps to the body and legs.

I assume if you can kick the legs of a grounded fighter, a soccer kick to the ribs of a turtled opponent would be kosher.

Yes Phone Post

yeah

Yup Phone Post

Any stomp is illegal, iirc... even to the body.

Harmon Whistler -  Any stomp is illegal, iirc... even to the body.

. Phone Post

Harmon Whistler -  Any stomp is illegal, iirc... even to the body.

he added the stomp part later. not sure why an axe kick to the body is legal but a stomp isn't though.

forrestfan - 

he added the stomp part later. not sure why an axe kick to the body is legal but a stomp isn't though.

Ah, OK.. and yeah, tricky dichotomy with some of these rules.

Cool, I'll post as gif of me doing it to my opponent in november.

forrestfan - 

Yet I've legally up kicked (which is an upside down stomp) people in two fights.

Yes, one of the more underutilized moves in MMA under the unified rules. Pretty sure Ivan Menjivar used one a couple fights ago.

kill joy -
forrestfan - 

Yet I've legally up kicked (which is an upside down stomp) people in two fights.

Not a stomp if you don't stomp. Phone Post

Melvin Guillard had a nice kick to the body (shoulder?) after he dropped Gabe Ruediger with a liver punch.. I remember watching it live thinking he was going for a soccer kick to the head. Brutal.

caposa -  Yes, one of the more underutilized moves in MMA under the unified rules. Pretty sure Ivan Menjivar used one a couple fights ago.

James Irvin did it to someone he tko'd in the UFC I think too Phone Post

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
caposa -  Yes, one of the more underutilized moves in MMA under the unified rules. Pretty sure Ivan Menjivar used one a couple fights ago.

James Irvin did it to someone he tko'd in the UFC I think too Phone Post

yup, Hector Ramirez

GSPs axe kick on Mayhem always was a good example of this

Jon Jones is a fan

Harmon Whistler - 
forrestfan - 

Ah, OK.. and yeah, tricky dichotomy with some of these rules.

They're completely different strikes with different trajectories. The power of an axe kick is drastically less than a stomp.

In a properly executed axe kick the knee does not bend, thats how it differs from a stomp. A stomp includes flexion of the the leg, and axe kick requires it to be fully extended.

That said, soccer kicks to the body of a downed opponent are legal under the Unified Rules.

Eddy Ellis threw one down on Jt Taylor after dropping him with a liver shot at a fight I was MCing. I wish I could find video.

Not true, think about it....