are teep kicks pointless?

I mean they do almost no damage and just push the guy away, and to do damage you want to be at a close range most of the time. Even the ones who thrust dont do much damage it seems or Ive never seen any end a fight. Most people on the street would have too much adrenaline anyway. On top of this all the other guy has to do is grab your leg and take you down so why risk that for a non damaging technique? Might as well just throw roundhouses at legs or inner thigh kicks from punch combos right?

I mean theyre easy to learn, use, and are fast but it seems a too much risk technique for the benefit it really does which is almost none, esp in mma or street. I think sidekicks can at least knock a guys air out if kicked in the abdomenum.

its used almost like a jab, to get somebody off ya for a second

Most people use them incorrectly. Not every strike is meant to cause fight-ending damage (even though teeps are capable of it). It doesn't mean they should be abandoned completely. If that were the case, we should stop jabbing, as well.

but people use it as an offensive move from punch combos a lot too, or a mvoe to set up other attacks.

jabs can actually knock people out or down Ive sene it done even in mma. They can also be sued as setups but teeps just push the guy away so I dont even think its a good setup, unless u throw a real fast and light one not intending to do any damage to get their guard away from their feet or something.

A teep isn't supposed to push your opponent away. They are not a close-range attack.

I like it as a set up when bouncing them off the ropes for a flying knee or something or defensively.

Calebdude - I like it as a set up when bouncing them off the ropes for a flying knee or something or defensively.

Were you in Arlovski's corner for the Fedor fight?

Teeps are an amazing striking tool.  They allow a fighter to control distance and dictate who can initiate. When I strike I like fighting from the outside staying long with the jab. I have a hell of a time with guys how teep because they can stop me from getting in range.  Also the teep disrupts my footwork and doesn't allow me to line up my punches. 

Side kicks have the same effect in my opinion. The guys that only throw round kicks are much easier to deal with since in general a straight punch beats a round kick. Also, round kicks are "shorter" so they can't consistantly stop a puncher from getting in striking range. 

Also, you can simply eat round kicks are still be effective with counters if your body can hold together (ala BJ Penn). However, with teeps you will be thrown backwards or put on your heels if you eat one clean, not allowing you to counter or get off with your offense.

Also, if they are thrown with speed and properly disguised, catching them can be a pain in the ass.

stupidnewbie, notice in that highlight reel none of the teeps are the decisive factors or really do much damage when in those instances he could have just threww leg kicks or roundhouses at body.

actually to tell the truth roundhouses dont end fights either most of the time unless to the neck/chin. Mostly mt in mma should just be sued as defense against kicks and to get in close and clinch and knee, anytime you lift ur legs u become offbalanced and vuilnerable to takedowns. I think investing more time in punching/boxing and just clinch and knee would be better. screw kicks unless real low.

I've dropped more than one sparring partner with a stiff teep to the liver as they were coming in with an overhand. Couple the lead teep with the lead jab and you have a very, very frustrating combination. Also if you are effective with your teep, you can fake it and then throw the round kick. That's how Yodsanklai knocked down JWP 3 different times.

But you seem bent on deeming it pointless. So, move on. I'm sure you know more than Buakaw or Yod.

Ive never really caught one clean, does it hurt?

oh nm above poster answered. I just need to stand there and have somebody kick me to see how it feels, I think the right/back leg teep would be a lot morepowerful than a lead leg though.

Some of you sound like you dont train at all.

I use the teep as a defensive move, meaning, I use it when someone steps forward and commits to a strike or an advance.

Lift the lead knee to roughly chest length, then throw your hip forward and lean your torso slightly back. Aim the ball of your foot for the liver. Their momentum coming in combined with god body mechanics should make for a good strike that will stop, knock the wind out of or otherwise frustrate, confuse, and damage your opponent.

When your opponent begins to fear your teep every time he sees that knee raise, thats when you can raise the knee as a feint, and use it to set up round kicks based on their reactions.

TheTakeover - try getting teeped by an experienced MT fighter...

word.. Buakaw walked through the max grand prix in 04 with the teep as a major weapon. (as seen in the video above against masato).

the teep is an EXTREMELY useful tool, it can be used to disrupt your opponents balance/footwork/attacks and excellent for setting up round kicks and knees.. shit, even punches and elbows off the ropes. I agree that they aren't knockout blows but I've seen a hell of a lot of fights decided by them.

BreakerOfNations - actually to tell the truth roundhouses dont end fights either most of the time unless to the neck/chin. Mostly mt in mma should just be sued as defense against kicks and to get in close and clinch and knee, anytime you lift ur legs u become offbalanced and vuilnerable to takedowns. I think investing more time in punching/boxing and just clinch and knee would be better. screw kicks unless real low.
what is this, 1998?  "kicks don't work in mma..."