Are the Diaz brothers and their ilk good for mma?

Maybe it depends on the person. I see these fights, and mma in general, as an honorable match between 2 warriors. No matter how you feel about each other..you have to have mutual respect. Im not a fan of either Diaz bro. And im not sure their antics are something that should be encouraged. If I were Dana I would've been pissed at Nate. IMO, its a huge sign of disrespect to the fighter, the organization, and the fans watching. This isn't a barbed wire fence in a shit hole building. This is the biggest mma organization in the world. UFC is trying to bring this sport as main stream as they can. And they dont need thugs like Nick & Nate acting like dumbasses and embarrassing them...

My $.02 Phone Post

I think it is the difference between Martial Arts and thuggery.

The difference between what the sport is about vs selling to the lowest rung of society.

In every sport you need your heroes and your villans.  Would the NFL be as much fun without the crazies like Harrison and Suh?  Would anyone have really cared about Tyson during a dead era of the heavyweight division if he wasn't such a bad guy at the time?   You need guys like the Diaz's to hype things up a little.

There's nothing honorable about a fight. Phone Post

UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 -

In every sport you need your heroes and your villans.  Would the NFL be as much fun without the crazies like Harrison and Suh?  Would anyone have really cared about Tyson during a dead era of the heavyweight division if he wasn't such a bad guy at the time?   You need guys like the Diaz's to hype things up a little.

This Phone Post

UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 -

I agree to an extent. I don't mind guys trash talkin and stuff. What I do mind is someone openly doing something like flipping the bird at his opponent knowing its on prime time. Now on ppv...whatever. But at the end of the day, I just think it shows bad sportsmanship and a lack of intelligence. Phone Post

UGCTT_nightkap - 
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 -

I agree to an extent. I don't mind guys trash talkin and stuff. What I do mind is someone openly doing something like flipping the bird at his opponent knowing its on prime time. Now on ppv...whatever. But at the end of the day, I just think it shows bad sportsmanship and a lack of intelligence. Phone Post

That was actually the complete opposite of a lack of intelligence.  What he was trying to do was get Bendo to lean back to throw a hard punch while he was in the splits, which would have given Nate the opportunity to roll with the leg he had a hold of and try to get a knee bar or heel hook.  Hendo even said leading up to the fight that he had problems with people that talked shit to him during a fight.

What does "good for mma" even mean? If you are asking if they are good role models by the standards of the "masses" then of course not.

But hey, they didn't drink and drive and kill their college buddy in a crash a la homeboy from the Dallas Cowboys. Dude was 25.

The Diaz brothers are just brash. Who cares. Their finger flying, weed smoking, in your face vegans. Last night the only thing they hurt were peoples feelings.

Hikikomori - 

There's nothing honorable about a fight. Phone Post

UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 -
UGCTT_nightkap - 
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 -

That was actually the complete opposite of a lack of intelligence.  What he was trying to do was get Bendo to lean back to throw a hard punch while he was in the splits, which would have given Nate the opportunity to roll with the leg he had a hold of and try to get a knee bar or heel hook.  Hendo even said leading up to the fight that he had problems with people that talked shit to him during a fight.

Yeah, I get it. I'm just saying Nate should've kept that crap to himself knowing how huge this was for the UFC. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a little girl who thinks it should be sugar and spice in there...it's brutal, violent, and bloody. It's fighting! But if Nate, and any other fighter on that card, care about the future of their sport and their possible future pay raises they need to make sure they don't do something that could cost the UFC possible future sponsorships and viewers.

Again, my $.02 Phone Post

They are, we get alot of 12 year old thug fans to pay 50 bucks per event. Business as usual.

They are exciting to watch and always come to fight... So yes. Phone Post

FinestScotch -
jtc2112 - What does "good for mma" even mean? If you are asking if they are good role models by the standards of the "masses" then of course not.

But hey, they didn't drink and drive and kill their college buddy in a crash a la homeboy from the Dallas Cowboys. Dude was 25.

The Diaz brothers are just brash. Who cares. Their finger flying, weed smoking, in your face vegans. Last night the only thing they hurt were peoples feelings.

Yep, people getting too sensitive...

I don't think it has to do with being too sensitive. I want to see this sport grow. I want to be able to watch it on more than ppv. I think Dana has a good plan for that. I also think it could just as easily be ruined. I see football going in the same direction. Penalties for hits, over protecting the QBs. The NFL wants it to be a cleaner, higher scoring game. It wants it to be pleasing to more than just rabid fans.
The UFC is going in the same direction. They know the hard core fans will always watch. So now they want to draw in the casual fan. Take my stepdad for instance. He watched last night and was bored until the fists started flying. Notice how often the refs separated and stood guys up?
I personally couldn't care less about any of it. I just wanna see good fights. I wanna see the UFC stay around for the next 20yrs. I wanna see the sport we all love be as popular as football...
Oh, and I wanna see Silva vs JBJ!! lol Phone Post

The only thing that Baffles me is those antics when you are getting the beat down of your life.

It kind of loses it's 'badassness' in those circumstances and one can only scratch their heads.

P.s I have no problem with his mean mugging and stuff, it's his persona and his trash talk is all part of him but the fingers are really low class. Phone Post

I think the OP's thread title ment to talk about Diaz's pet