Are there any Movie rental places left

Where you live? Our last one downtown is closing in August. Owner is donating all 18,000 to library which is good natured. Lot of weird ass movies though. Ferox would be right at home

Any of you remember the last rental you did? ( non library or redbox) Phone Post 3.0

Yes, but I doubt it gets much business. 93 cent video became 99 cent video and moved two storefronts into a smaller location. It is strange to see.

Yeah there's a gym/movie rental place next door to me.

There are quite a few in Austin. ILuvideo and Vulcan. Only problem is that these are mostly filled with hipsters. It's pretty cool, but everyone is obsessed with David Lynch films and think that "Eraserhead" is the greatest thing ever. Phone Post 3.0

Sure, in lots of small rural towns

I just threw away my blockbuster card after finding it lodged down between my car seats. The crazier thing is my current vehicle is brand new, was purchased way after they closed down so I have no idea how it got there? Phone Post 3.0

Man I remember on Sunday's all the Blockbuster stores would be packed only 5 -7 years ago. In the 1990's they were always busy, I would rent the whole James Bond catelog. Man times have changed.

WattMell - Family Video. Only one left in town, there used to be three, two blockbusters and hollywood videos. Phone Post 3.0

Did yours become half Marco's Pizza in the past year? Ours did.
Video stores are a bit like record stores. We don't need them, but the trip is a kinda fun outing. Plus, DSS hates it when you let your kids run around Redbox for 15 minutes.
I imagine they'll always exist in one form or other, just not as stand-alones. The Family Video/Marco's template will likely be how they survive.

There are a couple in San Francisco that have evolved to selling coffee drinks and pastries as well... a couple more do phone repair and electronics trade in as primary businesses now.. Phone Post 3.0

As others have noted, Family Video.

Fun little write-up from last year about the business.

http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/grid/family-video-rental/

Family Video w/Marcos here.

Redbox is where it's at!

a couple local convenience type stores/gas stations rent videos around my immediate rural area

I can't even remember the last movie I rented from an actual video rental store.

Probably it was in the early 2000's.

Remember calling ahead and reserving a particular movie?

Redbox. Fareway grocery chain also has something exactly like Redbox. And then there is Casey's gas stations - you can rent movies at some of them.

edwims - 

a couple local convenience type stores/gas stations rent videos around my immediate rural area

forgot to add that I also do not rent from them because I am pretty sure I owe them some late fees from like 5 years ago lol

Chimonos Revenge - I can't even remember the last movie I rented from an actual video rental store.

Probably it was in the early 2000's.

Remember calling ahead and reserving a particular movie?

Before Redbox got an adequate selection of titles, the only way you got a new release at Blockbuster was to be there at 10AM on Tuesday morning.  By noon that day, most of the new releases were rented out and you might not see it again for two months.

Haven't rented a video in close to 10 years ago. Kinda miss it, used to love going Phone Post 3.0

Last night my daughter (now 10 years old) mentioned blockbuster, their selection of kids movies was top notch. Phone Post 3.0

There was one about 2 miles from me called "video tan" lol

I fucking loved the old lady that owned it went in there all the time just bc of her. Closed in Feb :( Phone Post 3.0