Are there dives in high level MMA?

Once MMA gets an athlete on the level of Rob Van Dam, I bet we'll see some.

12SixElbow - 
bcolflesh - 
UGCTT_Pariah - 
88samurai88 - 

Honestly im a huge A.S fan but the way he toyed with Forrest in the fight and when Forrest fell and threw his leg up was really fishy. But then again anderson toys with everyone.. Phone Post

I think that Anderson didn't feel threatened by Forrest so he decided to have fun in the cage with his sways (and I really dislike Silva).  The reason Forrest fell is because his jaw was already broken before he was hit with that punch.  I read somewhere that his jaw was broken and he went for broke by throwing a big flurry, which resulted in the counter-jab which ended the fight.  Not a work.

Forrest had no injuries from the Silva fight, he was knocked silly and started flailing - he sat backstage with Amir Sadollah and cracked jokes during the entire Penn/Florian fight afterwards.

Yeah?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/5998996/Forrest-Griffin-camp-reveal-dislocated-jaw-as-Anderson-Silva-contemplates-Lyoto-Machida.html

Since I was there, I'll go with my story.

Not so much a dive as it was a jump, but still close enough...

It seems much more likely the officials are swayed somehow rather than the fighters in North America. Japan has no athletic commission, a huge contingent of yakuza in the country, so little oversight and lots of motive.

Wherever gambling is allowed on anything, even soccer, there have been corruption scandals

Draw your own conclusions.

Brian J DSouza - 

It seems much more likely the officials are swayed somehow rather than the fighters in North America. Japan has no athletic commission, a huge contingent of yakuza in the country, so little oversight and lots of motive.

Wherever gambling is allowed on anything, even soccer, there have been corruption scandals

Draw your own conclusions.

Guys making 10 and 10 on an undercard could easily be swayed. The fucking judges are probably making more in a year then the fighters

You cant place a bet on just one MMA fight. That would just be silly. Dives in MMA I believe happen for less direct financial benefits.

Example: Cote vs Le. Let Le win and don't hurt him (turns out Le already had a bum foot pre fight)so that he can headline the Macau card 6 weeks later. Re-watch the fight with this in mind, it won't look the same. It's just a tin foil hat theory but it might have merit.

Throwing a fight because you or your entourage placed a bet with a bookie only happens in the movies (when it comes to MMA).

Letibleu - You cant place a bet on just one MMA fight. That would just be silly. Dives in MMA I believe happen for less direct financial benefits.

Example: Cote vs Le. Let Le win and don't hurt him (turns out Le already had a bum foot pre fight)so that he can headline the Macau card 6 weeks later. Re-watch the fight with this in mind, it won't look the same. It's just a tin foil hat theory but it might have merit.

Throwing a fight because you or your entourage placed a bet with a bookie only happens in the movies (when it comes to MMA).

Ya you can place a bet on just one MMA fight, what the fuck you talkin bout?

HenryO -
Guys making 10 and 10 on an undercard could easily be swayed. The fucking judges are probably making more in a year then the fighters

I agree that the low pay offered by major MMA orgs seems like an easy way to corrupt fighters. At the same time, most fighters sign to fight for 4, 6, 8 and 10K because they believe they will win and move up to the next pay bracket of 20, 25, even 50K.

These guys (and gals) believe that they will win EVERY FIGHT. They are counting on their win bonus, and maybe even counting on winning the other discretionary bonuses.

If they did want to bet on themselves to lose, where would they get the money from? I guess they would bet on themselves to lose in a specific round via specific method for the best odds.

So it is plausable.

HenryO - 
Letibleu - You cant place a bet on just one MMA fight. That would just be silly. Dives in MMA I believe happen for less direct financial benefits.

Ya you can place a bet on just one MMA fight, what the fuck you talkin bout?

Yea what the hell? You think you have to pick a winner for every fight to win? You can bet one fight, 3 fight parlays, whatever you want. You can bet on it going the distance, finishing in 2, or whatever. And movies about throwing mma fights? You tripping sir. I guess it's true mma fighters are a classier bunch than every other pro sport that does have betting scandals not

irishrottie -

A friend of mine is convinced this happens quite often in MMA. I think it may happen but not with main card guys. Not talking about the brass giving orders and making it WWE stuff. But one fighter going into a bout and taking a dive...perhaps because he put money on himself to do so and would make far more than he would winning. 

Not trolling but opening up conversation on what I feel is an interesting topic. The sport of boxing has been known to have guys dive.

I think that if there are dives , they are more likely to happen smaller promotions or promotions overseas with a big regional following and a couple of big names. People make less, and are willing to do more to make a buck and feed ther egos or their families.. but if it happened in the UFC , you couldn't hide it very long and Dana and the fertittas wouldn't tolerate it . Did you see how pissed Dana got at the GSP vasoline incident? Imagine if he found one of his guys pulled a Bob Sapp. no big promotion with a huge tv contract would ever let that happen. End of story. Phone Post

Brian J DSouza - 
HenryO -

I agree that the low pay offered by major MMA orgs seems like an easy way to corrupt fighters. At the same time, most fighters sign to fight for 4, 6, 8 and 10K because they believe they will win and move up to the next pay bracket of 20, 25, even 50K.

These guys (and gals) believe that they will win EVERY FIGHT. They are counting on their win bonus, and maybe even counting on winning the other discretionary bonuses.

If they did want to bet on themselves to lose, where would they get the money from? I guess they would bet on themselves to lose in a specific round via specific method for the best odds.

So it is plausable.

Thats a rather optimistic view of the world. Fighters go through shit in their lives, some guy scraping by maybe making 50 grand a year could possibly make sure he lost a fight and give himself a nice bonus to make his life a bit easier.

McKee this past weekend took the easy way out of the AOki fight, he couldve easily had money on himself

The only way this is plausible would be a fighter willing to wager his career for quick cash. On one loss you can be kicked out of the UFC, on a fishy loss you most likely will get the boot. So fighter would have to win a year or a couple years worth of money. If you ever tried to gamble they have limits especially to new players. Sure Floyd Mayweather can walk in a lay a mil on a game but most your average folk couldn't bet more then a few grand. I know for a fact local California bookies start you off at only a grand and you have to work your way up to being able to bet like 20K on one fight/game.

Now if a circuit of gamblers or gambling hotline wanted to pay the fighter to give their clients a sure win, that's a possibility also. Phone Post

here's something that happened a lot back in the day and changed outcomes of fights.
I heard a story from Oleg Taktarov. He said he was in a locker room with a couple buddies at a Pride event. The pride official came in to discuss the rules and the purse. The officials told fighters 20K for loser 40K for winner, but if it happened to go the distance they would both be paid 40K and brought back next month for a 40K show and 40K win, so 80K for winner. Oleg said both fighters never spoke to each other but knew what to do. They went out and fought at like 70% of their ability, wet the distance in a real close fight and were asked back for the next Pride event. Oleg never told me who, and if you ever met Oleg he's not someone you bug for answers.

Oh and I'm not trying to be a name dropper, just bringing some validity to the story. And I'm not Oleg's homie or anything. My friend was a web designer for Lion's Den back in the day and Oleg was training with them. Phone Post

OFC - 

here's something that happened a lot back in the day and changed outcomes of fights.
I heard a story from Oleg Taktarov. He said he was in a locker room with a couple buddies at a Pride event. The pride official came in to discuss the rules and the purse. The officials told fighters 20K for loser 40K for winner, but if it happened to go the distance they would both be paid 40K and brought back next month for a 40K show and 40K win, so 80K for winner. Oleg said both fighters never spoke to each other but knew what to do. They went out and fought at like 70% of their ability, wet the distance in a real close fight and were asked back for the next Pride event. Oleg never told me who, and if you ever met Oleg he's not someone you bug for answers.

Oh and I'm not trying to be a name dropper, just bringing some validity to the story. And I'm not Oleg's homie or anything. My friend was a web designer for Lion's Den back in the day and Oleg was training with them. Phone Post

This is very believable, and there have been many accounts of the same type of thing from credible sources.

As far as the people saying the promoter wouldn't tolerate a work, in PRIDE, the promoter was the one doing the fixing (in a variety of ways). If a fixed fight served the promoter's interests, and they condoned it, then the fighter would not be at risk.