Are there small black belts with crappy guards.

There have been big black belts I've gone with who have weak guards. But Ive never gone with a little guy bb with a shit guard. Phone Post 3.0

Probably not. Tends to be the thing smaller guys work the most at. Phone Post 3.0

Joe Rogans guard is not very good

Big guy usually have less mobil8ty and flexibility.....usually. They also usually prefer a top game to use their size and physical attributes. Guard is really mobility reliant imo, small guys have that and usually flexibility. Lanky guys have the reach and usually similar mobility and flexibilty.

Im thick short limbs, guard isnt a great p9sition when your thighs are 27.5 and inseam is 29 :( Im over 220 and had a weak guard. I was forced to develop it as a purple by my instructor. I got better especially when I had shoukder rebuild at brown because I had arm in sling and had only one hand.

But now my hip is getting worse so my guard is kinda blah unless Im having a real good day or if I go with smaller guys I can do more. Guys my size requires m9re care and alertness on my part. I always tell people go with whatever they want do....ill work and adapt my leg around it and tap when I have to because I dont want them limiting themselves in their options worrying about me.

Smaller guys generally have better bjj, because they have to

Windy City - Joe Rogans guard is not very good
You ever rolled with him? Phone Post 3.0

liquidrob - Smaller guys generally have better bjj, because they have to

Not sure I agree with that. I know smaller guys who can play guard all day at a high level, but can't retain a top position to save their lives. I definitely agree that smaller guys tend to be better at bottom positions because they have to be, but that's not the whole of BJJ.

Sgt. Slaphead - Big guy usually have less mobil8ty and flexibility.....usually. They also usually prefer a top game to use their size and physical attributes. Guard is really mobility reliant imo, small guys have that and usually flexibility. Lanky guys have the reach and usually similar mobility and flexibilty.

Im thick short limbs, guard isnt a great p9sition when your thighs are 27.5 and inseam is 29 :( Im over 220 and had a weak guard. I was forced to develop it as a purple by my instructor. I got better especially when I had shoukder rebuild at brown because I had arm in sling and had only one hand.

But now my hip is getting worse so my guard is kinda blah unless Im having a real good day or if I go with smaller guys I can do more. Guys my size requires m9re care and alertness on my part. I always tell people go with whatever they want do....ill work and adapt my leg around it and tap when I have to because I dont want them limiting themselves in their options worrying about me.

What sarge didnt mention is that even if you pass his guard, his defense will stop your submission game.  I know first hand.

LOL.....must have been on a good day.

The Mat Pimp - 
liquidrob - Smaller guys generally have better bjj, because they have to

Not sure I agree with that. I know smaller guys who can play guard all day at a high level, but can't retain a top position to save their lives. I definitely agree that smaller guys tend to be better at bottom positions because they have to be, but that's not the whole of BJJ.

This!

Smaller guys can be super squirrelly on the bottom, but many lack pressure and control because they become fixated on playing a guard-centric game. Jiujitsu is not the guard.....whike the guard is an important facet, it isnt the only one. The ones who have good pressure and control really took the time to develop it and a broader game. One of my partners is ~160 and really has good pressure, whereas i have a couple similar weight (150-170 brown and purple) partners I garage train with who have much less pressure and control.

What makes a good guard? I ddont think highly of my guard, but if I was only to play "YOU SHALL NOT PAAAAAAS" I woukd be very hard to pass. I could grip fight and counter posture by breaking down my opponent for a extended time. Kinda boring training though and hard on the hands. And If I want to firce a standup, I can on most people using a sleve&lapel grip....is that a good guard? So really the smaller guys with their (usually) better mobilty and flexibility can 3asily be seen as having a "better" guard because of thei attributes. The bigger guys even though stronger are fighting gravity to move that mass in their legs and hips/ass, so its easy to see why they have less preference for guard.

I'm 5'6", 145lbs and have a terrible guard, so yes it can happen. My bottom game generally consists of getting passed, surviving for a while, and then escaping a sub to come on top where I'm much happier.

James Phone Post 3.0

I don't know about a shit guard but a preference to turtle/scramble/reverse instead of lay back and play guard, yes.

My kid is small for his age and has a terrible guard. Phenomenal top game, though, which is good enough in a sport with weight classes.

Wallid is relatively small and has never had a very good guard. Didnt stop him from racking up titles, though.

andre - Wallid is relatively small and has never had a very good guard. Didnt stop him from racking up titles, though.

Yup duly noted Wallid was a beast!  How would he fare against someone like Lo or Buchecha trying to pass?  Don't get me wrong, I totally love the old school, but the recent explosions in various guards in the competitive sport scene have developed some guys with a great passing game.

On a side note, years ago Ze Mario came to Hawaii for some seminars, one of my friends asked him about the old school Carlson guys like Wallid and Liborio.  Never saw Sperry speak about two guys in such high regard and said that in their primes they could beat anyone, sport or subgrappling.  He included Bitetti in this group as well.

No offense but I've always heard Wallid was not on the same level as Mario, Amuary, Liborio, and Busta. Like, at all... That's why Carlson wanted him to beat Royce. Phone Post 3.0

He won a fair share of titles and tournaments don't get me wrong. I just have heard from guys who were there before the team split that there was a ridiculous amount of talent there. Phone Post 3.0

By far the best team ever. Too many killers to even list here

And it's no coincidence that ATT and Nova Unio are the only BJJ gyms that have also done well in MMA. Phone Post 3.0

BTTMike - No offense but I've always heard Wallid was not on the same level as Mario, Amuary, Liborio, and Busta. Like, at all... That's why Carlson wanted him to beat Royce. Phone Post 3.0
I thought it was because the 'bigger names' wanted more money to tassel him and Wallid stepped up. Phone Post 3.0

cumprido1 - By far the best team ever. Too many killers to even list here

And it's no coincidence that ATT and Nova Unio are the only BJJ gyms that have also done well in MMA. Phone Post 3.0
And BTT back in the day Phone Post 3.0