Are we seeing the end of Bellator?

With the list of cuts in the last few days adding to the 40+ from the last few weeks are we seeing the slow decline of the no. 2 organisation?

They had cuts? I wouldn't be surprised, they suck at promoting themselves and put on some weird fights

1 Like
irishgracie -

With the list of cuts in the last few days adding to the 40+ from the last few weeks are we seeing the slow decline of the no. 2 organisation?

Guessing more of a product of covid, they aren't putting on as many shows and guessing a good number of the guys wanted to be cut if they arent being offered fights. May also be something to do with their contract and not offering them a fight soon enough, not sure.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/lists/list-of-bellator-fighters-roster-releases-cut-frank-mir-roy-nelson-champions

Some big names in there too, it could be just a case of trying to lower their wage bill

Don’t worry guys. We’ll be getting plenty of hot recent signees Liz Carmouche, Leslie Smith, and Corey Anderson coming our way. So we still have plenty to be jacked for. War Bellator!!

3 Likes

They haven't pulled the plug yet.  Network programming is an interesting world.  Bellator is just one item in a huge basket.  You've got your money making programming, and then you have your programming that pretty much gets the charter to lose as little money as possible and to generate content. Content is what drives ad revenue and diversies networks' offerings when negotiating.

I don't think Viacom ever expected Bellator to be a tier one earner, but it at least gives them something they can bring to the table when discussing their ability to reach a certain demographic. 

Just my thoughts, anyway.  If they haven't shit canned it yet, I don't know why they would now, years into the deal.  They have to know what they're getting by now. 

3 Likes

I thought ONE was the number two organization

Bellator was better when it was a C+ to B- level tournament format creating young stars. You got to know the guys and their stories, and really got invested in them. They were doing something different. 

They got rid of the tournaments and signed every 45 year old UFC castoff, and they became a really poor attempt at an A level MMA promotion. That was never their game. 

1 Like

They should have renamed it. When I hear the word Bellator there is already some baggage attached to it. 

3 Likes
Gennady Goblin -

Bellator was better when it was a C+ to B- level tournament format creating young stars. You got to know the guys and their stories, and really got invested in them. They were doing something different. 

They got rid of the tournaments and signed every 45 year old UFC castoff, and they became a really poor attempt at an A level MMA promotion. That was never their game. 

Yeah signing a bunch of washed up ufc castoffs was a terrible marketing idea. 

Making room for new euro fighters is my guess 

Bignightmare2 -

I think that establishing an international footprint isn't a bad idea at all.  I feel like we've seen the ceiling of their North American potential.

Interesting insights in this thread.

2 Likes

Didn't they just sign a tv deal with cbs sportsnetwork or something?

WaltJ -
Bignightmare2 -

I think that establishing an international footprint isn't a bad idea at all.  I feel like we've seen the ceiling of their North American potential.

I don’t disagree. They are getting a solid fan base in Europe. It makes sense to make room for some euro fighters.

No. Just a covid restructure. No live gate + limited TV exposure = less high cost fighters. 

Putting “diet” Coker in charge over bjorn destroyed them. I loved bellator when it was homegrown talent doing the tournaments. You could get into it. 

Then fat turd boy turns the promotion into a freak show and nursing home/graveyard for UFC careers. 

1 Like
HillboFrateTrane -

Putting “diet” Coker in charge over bjorn destroyed them. I loved bellator when it was homegrown talent doing the tournaments. You could get into it. 

Then fat turd boy turns the promotion into a freak show and nursing home/graveyard for UFC careers. 

blame the shady fixed fights too, it all makes sense now

they tried everything they could to keep bellator alive

Bellator is no longer nr2. One championship  has surpassed em now. 

they just signed a bunch of new fighters. have to offset that by letting some guys go. the fact bellator signed many promising young fighters in the past couple months is a great sign. Not sure how the releases could be viewed as anything other than Bellator improved their roster with the many signings they’ve done recently so of course they need to thin the herd.