Are You as Self Reliant as a Mormon?

Found this online at a Mormon site. It's the church's self-reliance standards. Apparently, it's not all about storing food and water. Honesly, it's not bad. But I don't understand wny they don't have something about self defense, either martial arts or shooting or something, Are they pacifists?

Home Production and Storage Standard:

Each person or family produces as much as possible through gardening, sewing, and making household items. Each person and family learns techniques of home canning, freezing and drying foods, and, where legally permitted, stores a one-year supply of food, clothing, and, if possible, fuel.

Financial and Resource Management Standard:

Each person establishes financial goals, pays tithes and offerings, avoids debts, pays obligations, uses family resources wisely, and saves during times of plenty for times of need.

Physical Health: Standard:

Each person obeys the Word of Wisdom and practices sound principles of nutrition, physical fitness, accident prevention, weight control, immunization, sanitation, mother and child health, dental health, and medical care. Members live in a healthy and clean environment. In addition, each member acquires appropriate skills in first aid and safety, home nursing, and food selection and preparation.

Literacy and Education Standard:

To the extent of his capacity, each person is able to read, write, and do basic mathematics. He regularly studies the scriptures and other good books. Parents teach these skills and habits to family members, and both parents and children take advantage of educational opportunities.

Career Development Standard:

Each young person receives counsel to help select a career in which he can use his talents and skills in meaningful employment. Each person selects a suitable vocation and becomes proficient through appropriate training.

Social-Emotional and Spiritual Strength Standard:

Each person builds spiritual strength to meet life’s challenges with confidence and stability by learning to love God and communicate with him in personal prayer, to love and serve his neighbor, and to love and respect himself through righteous living and self-mastery. Social-emotional and spiritual strength is increased by living the principles of the gospel.

My wife was a Mormon, her father is high up in the church.

My wife is no longer in the church but they still show up to ask if we need anything.

My FIL called 2 weeks ago to say, if shit hits the fan he has food for our family and the families of his other 8 children for 1 year.

They are prepared for this shit.

1 Like

Definitely not pacifists lol.  Ran into a few weirdos back in the day but overall most of them were pretty cool and a lot of times you'll get SHOCKED to run into one that is an amazingly good athlete.

I think the thing that caught me most off guard was this really unassuming mormon guy that didn't look strong or athletic (I mean he didn't look weak either just kinda normal) and rolled with him and a friend and the guy was just amazing at jiu-jitsu. Ended getting his black belt from gustavo. Dude is really nice and can fix cars and even do stuff like home remodeling. 

Also my brother inlaw was helping me do my back yard one time from scratch, laying sod, putting brick barrier down, laying rock all of that...and these mormon missionaries on their bikes stopped over and asked if they could help. Brother in law was a marine and didn't give a shit he's like, "yeah come help me lay this rock" and they came back all dressed ready to work and moved 10 tons of rock and helped lay sod.  I thought they were gonna come back and preach at us all of the time, but they didn't.

1 Like

Lived in Utah for several years and once they realize you’re not interested in joining their cult, they’re the most rude and unlikebale people you’ll meet. Their religion destroys families and it’s sad to see first hand. 

6 Likes

I never met a mormon i didn't like. 

1 Like

Whatever else you might think about them, the LDS people have solid, practical ideas about prepping.

If those those missionaries know where you live and you were in the church, your grass is getting cut and snow removel.

They are on their mission and have to do work.

If they ask to help say yeah

WikiTheWalrus -

Yeah, me either.

TFK Walnut -

My wife is no longer in the church but they still show up to ask if we need anything.

My FIL called 2 weeks ago to say, if shit hits the fan he has food for our family and the families of his other 8 children for 1 year.

That's awesome 

WikiTheWalrus -

I have to agree

They have stores you can go to that sell long life foods for storage at discount prices.

I went to school with a bunch. They were all pretty awesome people all around. Yup. Still are.

Mormons have done a better job than any other Christian sect in establishing positive communities. I'm a big fan of their no-excuses work ethic.

It's a shame it's all based upon Joseph Smith's Jewish Native American Mooninite junk.

Born and raised and still live in Utah. So yeah they've been preaching this for as long as I can remember, I guess some of it has rubbed off on me.

I went to church dances in the summer during high school. My biggest memory was dozens of mighty clean looking teenage girls in sundress’s.

Onikage - Mormons have done a better job than any other Christian sect in establishing positive communities. I'm a big fan of their no-excuses work ethic.

It's a shame it's all based upon Joseph Smith's Jewish Native American Mooninite junk.

Ive ever heard of a Mooninite.

1 Like

They aren't prepared.  Utah grocery stores got hit the hardest.

1 Like

TFK Walnut -

what is their stance on guns? pacifists or go into their yard shed and it is stocked like matrix in commando?

Gugstanley -

They aren't prepared.  Utah grocery stores got hit the hardest.

Preparation isn't for now. Prepared stores of resources are for when there aren't resources available anymore.

When others make a run on resources, the prepared do so as well. The prepared only tap into their emergency stores when needed, which is when everything else is gone. 

1 Like

MuayThaiFreak13 -
Onikage - Mormons have done a better job than any other Christian sect in establishing positive communities. I'm a big fan of their no-excuses work ethic.

Ive ever heard of a Mooninite.

Me neither and I’m LDS.