Are you still passing from your knees?

It’s what I was originally taught. Now I stand every time.

What style of knees-down passing works for you?

This is my main pass now.

5 Likes

As opposed to something like this.

1 Like

I have a hard time passing, don’t know what it is.

Guard game is solid, top game once I get to at least half guard is solid, but actually passing against a guy with a good guard gives me problems

When I do pass it’s typically from standing

1 Like

I pass from the knees every time. It means the other guy can’t stand up and it also means he can’t use any new bullshit guards on me.

9 Likes

Its really hard to open the closed guard without standing up

3 Likes

We were drilling that counterweight guard break, and my partner had such a stupidly strong closed guard, he just lay back and tightened up around my waist more, more, more … until i suddenly felt ill. I had to tap out, my head kept spinning, torso painful, i had to go lay down at the edge of the mat, and hold my upper right side … people wondering if i was having a heart attack … but it was like a liver-shot! so bizarre, never happened to me in grappling before. squeezed the blood right out of it, traumatized it somehow. took a few minutes, then i was OK.

3 Likes

I think because of the prevalence of leg locks, knee passing is going to make something of a comeback in terms of popularity.

–and breaking & passing the guard are two different topics. Just because you break standing --or on your knees-- doesn’t mean you have to pass the same way.

15 Likes

It depends on the situation and what kind of guard I’m trying to pass. Both styles of passing have their positives and negatives.

3 Likes

Does anyone use that guard pass I posted earlier? On one knee and press open the guard.

1 Like

My elbows are razors, not a problem

I use the stand and one knee up the middle guard break as my number one attack from inside closed guard.

I pass almost exclusively on my knees. Started doing it originally because I’m not very athletic or fast.

But to me passing from the knees is fundamentally superior if strikes are allowed. Also it is very hard to standing pass someone with a well developed leg attack game, including x and slx in that umbrella.

Everything I’m saying is also considering no gi only. Standing passing is much more effective with pants grips.

4 Likes

That’s wild. I had no idea that was possible. How long did he have to squeeze you? I’m not entirely sure where the liver is, but I want to try this.

I once learned a very easy way to crush someone with your legs in guard, using the full strength of your legs and which doesn’t exhaust your legs, but never knew there was a use for it.

So i was squatting there, he was leaning back, IIRC he probs outweighed me 15-20ish kg’s. May have been a minute or two at most. It couldn’t have been long - we were all just drilling that counterweight guard opener.
Liver is upper right side of torso, so maybe you can roll your left knee inwards to concentrate the pressure? If they are small or you have long legs, you can also try a body triangle – that has been known to make people puke.

That was similar to how I was taught to open/pass the closed guard originally. I was taught to not step the leg up though.

I still use it against white and blue belts. Anyone above and I fail at it (I’m a purple btw). I usually stand to open, then pass on my knees.

1 Like

This is wise. Very difficult to open closed guard without standing. Less and less people play closed guard every year, for now at least.

2 Likes

Not if you punch their eyes and nose and liver.

I like both those guard breaks. I don’t step up like he does. If I need a step it’s to the back corner so they can’t easily scoop my leg.

I also like the chim chim pass/guard break a lot and use some of that stuff when I am killing hips. Especially in no gi.

2 Likes