‘Are you supporting white supremacy?’

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/01/15/left-wing-professor-devises-checklist-that-asks-are-you-supporting-white-supremacy

Left-wing professor devises checklist that asks, ‘Are you supporting white supremacy?’

A left-wing college professor has come out with a checklist for those who might be wondering if they support white supremacy.

Reshmi Dutt-Ballerstadt — an English professor and co-coordinator of the gender studies program at Oregon’s Linfield College — penned an opinion piece for Inside Higher Ed, titled, “Are you supporting white supremacy?”

Dutt-Ballerstadt — whose writing also includes “When Free Speech Dismantles Diversity Initiatives” and who runs a blog titled On Being Brown and Out/Raged — noted that her list consists of “qualities and attributes of those that overtly or covertly support or contribute to a culture of mundane and everyday white supremacy within our institutions.”

She added, “Such mundane acts manifest themselves in who is hired, who is tenured and promoted, whose scholarship is (de)valued, who receives the campus awards for teaching and service, whose voice is heard, whose ideas are policed, who is tone policed, and who is called out as not being ‘civil’ — a coded word for speaking against the status quo of white privilege.”

Among her list of 15 “troubles” that you can identify in yourself or others included:

• “When your colleagues who are marginalized complain to you about their ‘oppressive’ work conditions, you think that they are difficult.”
  • “When your colleagues and students claim that they experienced microaggressions, your response is ‘I am so sorry. This is unbelievable!'”
  • “When you are asked to nominate your students and faculty colleagues for awards or leadership positions, your first instinct is to nominate those that are ‘stellar’ (mostly men) and obviously ‘white.’ It doesn’t occur to you that you are implicitly supporting a logic of meritocracy that is built on this racist assumption that everyone has had the same access and opportunities.”
  • “When it comes to understanding your own white privilege, you get very angry if a faculty member of color points out to you where and how your privilege is operating,” Dutt-Ballerstadt added. “You deem such critiques as ‘uncivil’ and as not supporting a collegial environment.”
  • “When you are on a hiring committee, you think that the writing samples by your white candidates of choice are stellar, while what is ‘stellar’ about the candidates of color is, of course, their ethnicity.”

Her closing comment? “If you have made it to this point,” Dutt-Ballerstadt wrote, “you are probably feeling quite hypervisible or fragile and have decided to have some hot chamomile tea from a cup that reads ‘White Tears’ or ‘Black Lives Matter.'”

(H/T: Campus Reform)

I'm too busy working and leaving people alone to worry with that bullshit

People in oregon, well mostly the portland area are fucking wackos, just alot of mental illness there.

Is that Sotomayor's long lost twin sister?

I love this shit. lol

Dat pic tho

MMA Playwright -

This is the chick that wrote it?

MMA Playwright -

My gawd!

Now that is white supremecy.. 

BriggsSeekins -
MMA Playwright -

This is the chick that wrote it?

Lol no ha!

DrPeterVenkman - 

Among her list of 15 “troubles” that you can identify in yourself or others included:

• “When your colleagues who are marginalized complain to you about their ‘oppressive’ work conditions, you think that they are difficult.”

• “When your colleagues and students claim that they experienced microaggressions, your response is ‘I am so sorry. This is unbelievable!'”

• “When you are asked to nominate your students and faculty colleagues for awards or leadership positions, your first instinct is to nominate those that are ‘stellar’ (mostly men) and obviously ‘white.’ It doesn’t occur to you that you are implicitly supporting a logic of meritocracy that is built on this racist assumption that everyone has had the same access and opportunities.”

• “When it comes to understanding your own white privilege, you get very angry if a faculty member of color points out to you where and how your privilege is operating,” Dutt-Ballerstadt added. “You deem such critiques as ‘uncivil’ and as not supporting a collegial environment.”

• “When you are on a hiring committee, you think that the writing samples by your white candidates of choice are stellar, while what is ‘stellar’ about the candidates of color is, of course, their ethnicity.”

Her closing comment? “If you have made it to this point,” Dutt-Ballerstadt wrote, “you are probably feeling quite hypervisible or fragile and have decided to have some hot chamomile tea from a cup that reads ‘White Tears’ or ‘Black Lives Matter.'”

1) Are those "oppressive" work conditions legitimate complaints? As a white person, am I even able to judge such a thing, or is every complaint from a non-white person valid and should be treated as such?

-Anecdote-One of the floors in our building has a large room housing a particular department. I've heard complaints for years about how hot it is. Finally one of the employees brought in a temp gauge. The temperature in the room was consistantly 81-84 degrees for several weeks. Management didn't know that it was THAT hot and corrected the issue by working on the duct work/ventilation in the room. While many had complained about the hot temp, 3 people always said it was cold. They wore dresses/skirts and cloaked themselves in fleece blankets daily (mind you it was 80+ degrees). The new temp now that it has been addressed? 73-75 degrees. Hardly a temp people would say is "cold". Those 3 people have made complaints to HR now that they cannnot work in these conditions. Daily they wear stocking/knit hats, jackets, and blankets all day.

That's just a personal example, but lets say one or more of these people isn't white. Should we automatically say this is a valid complaint? IMHO if you are cold in an office with 80+ degree temps, you have a health issue you need to look into.

No one in my daily life would ever use the term micro-aggression, and for that, I am thankful.

DrPeterVenkman -

“When your colleagues who are marginalized complain to you about their ‘oppressive’ work conditions, you think that they are difficult.”

“When your colleagues and students claim that they experienced microaggressions, your response is ‘I am so sorry. This is unbelievable!'”

“When you are asked to nominate your students and faculty colleagues for awards or leadership positions, your first instinct is to nominate those that are ‘stellar’ (mostly men) and obviously ‘white.’ It doesn’t occur to you that you are implicitly supporting a logic of meritocracy that is built on this racist assumption that everyone has had the same access and opportunities.”

“When it comes to understanding your own white privilege, you get very angry if a faculty member of color points out to you where and how your privilege is operating,” Dutt-Ballerstadt added. “You deem such critiques as ‘uncivil’ and as not supporting a collegial environment.”

“When you are on a hiring committee, you think that the writing samples by your white candidates of choice are stellar, while what is ‘stellar’ about the candidates of color is, of course, their ethnicity.”

“When you are asked to nominate your students and faculty colleagues for awards or leadership positions, your first instinct is to nominate those that are ‘stellar’ (mostly men) and obviously ‘white.’ It doesn’t occur to you that you are implicitly supporting a logic of meritocracy that is built on this racist assumption that everyone has had the same access and opportunities.”

This is the truly damning section. She is literally saying that WHITES and MALES are superior. Read between the lines. I don't agree with her, but she is saying that she believes whites and males are superior, and, thus, in a meritocracy will be unfairly advantaged because they have had access to better training and are thus more likely to be chosen through a logic of meritocracy... 

This is like when the UK tried making job applications anonymous, and found female applications failed miserably. They thought sexism was oppressing females, when it was actually helping them by giving them an unfavorable advantage. Oy vey

“This is like when the UK tried making job applications anonymous, and found female applications failed miserably. They thought sexism was oppressing females, when it was actually helping them by giving them an unfavorable advantage.”

id never heard of that before. That’s hilarious.

clattymine - 

“This is like when the UK tried making job applications anonymous, and found female applications failed miserably. They thought sexism was oppressing females, when it was actually helping them by giving them an unfavorable advantage.”

id never heard of that before. That’s hilarious.

Neither have I. Doesn't quite fit their current vagenda, does it?

Someone didn't get enough attention growing up or in College, or in her thirtys or now.

dhughes -

Sounds like she's bitching about her coworkers.  Reads like it was intended for someone or several people who have hurt her feelings by not supporting her stupidity.

I read it the same way, seemed obviously directed at someone she felt had wronged her in some way. She’s obviously an unstable moron. 

MMA Playwright -

Supreme.