Ariel Helwani facts for idiots

something random -

Every you said is correct, but the UFC is not obliged to give credentials to anyone. And there is well documeted history of them fucking over people who realease info before they want it released. So Ariel was well aware of the potential consequences.

Yeah, I understand people being frustrated; however, in the end, the UFC is a business. If they think Ariel leaking the big news early hurts their business, than it's no surprise they pulled his credentials as it's their right to do so. Phone Post 3.0

OP is a fucking retard.

While I agree UFC was lame as fuck for banning a reporter for reporting news, the last line in OP's post is prob. one of the dumbest things I've read all year on this site.

"If you think this is going to stand your retarded. 5 mins in court is all that this is going to take to make Ariel Helwani a very rich reporter"

UFC is a private company. They can revoke media credentials fro any reporter they want for whatever reason, so long as they are not discriminating based on a protected class (e.g. race, religion, sexuality, etc.)

If UFC is salty that a reporter broke two huge stories of theirs before they announced them, UFC has every right under the sun to ban the reporter from covering events on-site as a member of the media. There is absolutely ZERO protection afforded to Ariel here. He does not have any right, constitutional, professional or otherwise, to cover the events in-person from press row. If he wants, he can buy the PPV and cover the sport from his laptop.

There is no constitutional right which requires a private company to allow a reporter access to their events. This is no different than Mayweather blocking Beadles and others from covering the MayPac fight live because of their past reporting of his domestic violence issues.

Freedom of the press relates to the press and censorship and oppression by the GOVERNMENT, you fucking idiot. A private company such as the UFC is not obligated to the freedom of the press like a government institution would be.

Very true.

And even then, certain reporters or media outlets not being included in the White House Press Corps isn't even close to a violation of the freedom of the press.

I am constantly baffled at how these supposed champions of the first amendment are completely clueless as to what it actually means.

The notion that Ariel would have any grounds for some kind of legal action against the UFC is beyond stupid.

There's no legal claim here. But if this were a mainstream sport this is not the way it would work. The NFL, MLB, MLB and even NHL treat their product like it's a regular part of public information and news, and they wouldn't remove the credentials from a major media outlet for publishing true information. But the UFC isn't conducting themselves like that. The are treating themselves as more of a spectacle or show like the WWE. And yes of course if a media outlet were to spoil a surprise for the WWE they could easily get their press credentials removed. So yes it's the choice of the UFC but it also says something about how they want to be known. Not as a sport, but as a spectacle. I guess we have known that for a while now. Phone Post 3.0

I'm very disappointed in the whole affair. Phone Post 3.0

Ariel Helwani is by far the best mma journalist of all time. Fact.

Op is almost all correct except for maybe it not standing. UFC is powerful and others won't stand up for him enough to make a difference. Phone Post 3.0

FighterSpirit -

Remember this isn't the first time the UFC has had issues with him, especially regarding leaked information.

Take it from a business standpoint. You are about to announce a very big fight, one that will no doubt put their ratings over the million mark. And a journalist leaks the info moments before the UFC can announce it. It takes the surprise out of the announcement for the UFC, and could hurt business.

Yes I understand journalism but Ariel should have been smart enough to hold off on reporting until the UFC made it official. Literally wait seconds after the UFC announces it, then publish it.

You can bet if this had been done to Vince Mcmahon and the WWE, that reporter would have been treated exactly the same.

I for one am not a fan of Helwani at all. Everyone seems to think he is this great journalist but IMO he is not. He has connections to stories, then reports them. His interviewing skills are subpar.

It just causes buzz since it's only speculation from a source outside the ufc...making people want to keep an eye on their product to see if it's true Phone Post 3.0

hendofanforlife -
VTCO -

OP is a fucking retard.

While I agree UFC was lame as fuck for banning a reporter for reporting news, the last line in OP's post is prob. one of the dumbest things I've read all year on this site.

"If you think this is going to stand your retarded. 5 mins in court is all that this is going to take to make Ariel Helwani a very rich reporter"

UFC is a private company. They can revoke media credentials fro any reporter they want for whatever reason, so long as they are not discriminating based on a protected class (e.g. race, religion, sexuality, etc.)

If UFC is salty that a reporter broke two huge stories of theirs before they announced them, UFC has every right under the sun to ban the reporter from covering events on-site as a member of the media. There is absolutely ZERO protection afforded to Ariel here. He does not have any right, constitutional, professional or otherwise, to cover the events in-person from press row. If he wants, he can buy the PPV and cover the sport from his laptop.

There is no constitutional right which requires a private company to allow a reporter access to their events. This is no different than Mayweather blocking Beadles and others from covering the MayPac fight live because of their past reporting of his domestic violence issues.

Freedom of the press relates to the press and censorship and oppression by the GOVERNMENT, you fucking idiot. A private company such as the UFC is not obligated to the freedom of the press like a government institution would be.

even in the government you have to play somewhat nice if you want access. plenty of reporters over the years have been kicked out of the white house press for a large variety of reasons. 

It is even worse that it is happening in government.

VTCO - 

OP is a fucking retard.

OP is indeed a retard.

Ramsey - UFC doesn't give a shit....fact. Phone Post 3.0
This. He was just doing his job it seems but if you piss zuffa good luck Phone Post 3.0

Hope Ariel tweets out Lesnars opponent on Monday before ESPN announcement. Doesn't UFC have a deal with FOX? Seems like UFC is kinda doing the same thing they banned Ariel for. Phone Post 3.0

VTCO -

OP is a fucking retard.

Where did OP go?

Did he read this, cry, then turn his computer off in embarrassment? Phone Post 3.0

UKLogHog77 - Hope Ariel tweets out Lesnars opponent on Monday before ESPN announcement. Doesn't UFC have a deal with FOX? Seems like UFC is kinda doing the same thing they banned Ariel for. Phone Post 3.0

For real---FOX Sports being the consistent cuckold for UFC and ESPN is fucking hilarious.

He should sue the UFC, I'm not sure for what or how but there needs to be some to stand up to their bullshit Phone Post 3.0

I still don't understand why the UFC doesn't go after the rat in their operation instead of a journalist doing his job. Phone Post 3.0

unjust - Ariel Helwani is a reporter ) Fact
Ariel Helwani does not work for the ufc) fact
Ariel Helwani does not need to make sure its ok with the ufc to run a story)fact
Ariel Helwani job includes reporting on things that might make the ufc mad.)fact
Ariel Helwani would be a horrible reporter if he asked the ufc to ok his stories)fact
Ariel Helwani should have made sure it was ok to break the lesner story) fuck no
For all you idiots that are saying Ariel Helwani did it to himself or that he should have known better.......
Its called freedom of the Press and had this happened in boxing ..Hell what am I saying ..It would never happen in boxing because the lawyers would have a fucking field day....
If you think this is going to stand your retarded. 5 mins in court is all that this is going to take to make Ariel Helwani a very rich reporter.
On what grounds would he sue them? They're not required to give anybody a press pass, or let anybody in their event. What they did was petty and pathetic. They have every right to do it though. It just makes them look terrible, but Ariel doesn't have a lawsuit. Phone Post 3.0

Lol@freedom of the press. Are u guys really this stupid? Phone Post 3.0

This is true but also you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, the UFC can keep him from events and interviews. He won't make much of a living covering Bellator. Phone Post 3.0

What's with all these fucking "this is illegal" threads lately? Wasn't McGregor supposed to be put back on UFC 200 because it was illegal and going to court? Guys getting cut after a win would end up in court..what's with all this "take em to court" shit lately?

Who knows wat really happened. Maybe Ariel got the scoop off the record but came out with it anyways.

I agree it is a bit harsh but "insert matt serra" Phone Post 3.0