Arlovski... 18 yrs in UFC

Just watched the short Ariel Helwani interview... 18 years fighting in the UFC. 

I almost feel like there should be some special award given to anyone with the extremely rare accomplishment of lasting 20 years in the UFC.  What a fucking meatgrinder of a career that'd be.  INCREDIBLE.

Are there any other fighters that have lasted that long?  Hendo?  Vitor?  Shammy and Tito would be in 'honourable mention' territory if they hadn't worked so many fights later in their careers.

Fedor and Big Nog?  Hunto has sure as shit faced world class competition for a VERY long time.  Fuck.  I can't even imagine being a HW and fighting that long.  How their brains aren't scrambled eggs and nutty peanut butter is beyond me.

jgiveshead -

Just watched the short Ariel Helwani interview... 18 years fighting in the UFC. 

I almost feel like there should be some special award given to anyone with the extremely rare accomplishment of lasting 20 years in the UFC.  What a fucking meatgrinder of a career that'd be.  INCREDIBLE.

Are there any other fighters that have lasted that long?  Hendo?  Vitor?  Shammy and Tito would be in 'honourable mention' territory if they hadn't worked so many fights later in their careers.

Fedor and Big Nog?  Hunto has sure as shit faced world class competition for a VERY long time.  Fuck.  I can't even imagine being a HW and fighting that long.  How their brains aren't scrambled eggs and nutty peanut butter is beyond me.

Just to add to that, how crazy it is to fight the best of the best for 18 years.  That's way more impressive to me than winning a belt and losing it in the first(ish) defense (Arlovski, but also guys like Bisping).  About the only thing that I can think of more impressive would be GSP, Anderson and JBJ's title reigns, all of those on the order of magnitude of 10 years.

I remember when he was a killer. When he fought Cabbage, he was the scariest motherfucker alive. Like he took CHERNOBYL SUPPOSITORIES . It was epic.

Man I still think he's a killer, chinny or not.  Talent and patience have improved light years.  And who of the old guard isn't chinny?  JDS?  Overeem?  Hunto? 

This fight this weekend could be a barn burner for all we know.  Arlovski Browne 2.0

"NO NO NO DON'T HUG ME"

Hell yeah! 

It seems like Vitor has been figting in the UFC longer.

blood fist -

It seems like Vitor has been figting in the UFC longer.

As of now, Vitor's UFC career spans from     UFC 12 to UFC 212... Would have been cool if he retired on that win

just passed 21 years since his UFC debut

LOL @ “That girl, she’s a fucking whore.”

Holy shit. Go to 5:24 of the video.

do we count the years they spent in non-ufc orgs?

Some interesting details.

Wand's first UFC/Pride fight was Oct 16, 1998: the famous TKO loss to Vitor.  So that's 20 years.  He fought a few times in IVC in 97, too, which is nothing to thumb your nose at.

Rampage fought in smaller but well known promotions before his Pride debut, where he was choked out by Sakuraba on Jul 29, 2001.  So that's 17 years for him.

Shogun didn't debut in Pride until 2003.  So if you count 2018, that's 15 years of service.

Hendo debuted in the UFC in 1998 (the tourney win over Carlos Newton)... but he wrapped it up in 2016.  So that's 18 years.

Big Nog was Pride, Nov 2001, but wrapped it up in 2015.

Barnett was UFC against Gan McGee in Nov 2000, but he hasn't fought since 2016... 16 years.

Kharitonov, Pride 2003, but he's primarily fought in smaller promotions since 2011 (sad face)... so that's only 8 years.

OVEREEM: actually deserves some credit here.  His Pride debut was 2002, so 16 years... but he fought in RINGS since '99... like IVC, nothing to thumb your nose at.

HUNTO: I think he comes out the biggest winner in this conversation, even though he was froze out by the UFC for a few years mid-career.  His Pride debut wasn't until 2004 against Yoshida, but he fought 20-something times in K1, including the GP title victory, between 2000 and 2003.  Let me say that again.  20 high level kickboxing fights in 2-3 years.  That's fucked.  That's way more of an accomplishment than fighting 2-3 times a year in the UFC.  I guess there were a lot of one night tourneys in there... hmmm.  I'm counting it 18 years for Hunto, and few have fought tougher competition over that time period.

And of course, the grand daddy of them all, Vitor.  Debuted in 97 against Tre Telligman, with the tourney championship in there.  He fights Machida soon, so that's 21 years.

Machida: KO'ed Rich Franklin in Inoki's NYE promotion in 2003... 15 years.

I'm being a real asshole about Tito... he's a pioneer, carried the sport for a long time and debuted in 1997. But as far as I'm concerned, he hasn't taken his career seriously since 2006 against Forrest Griffin.  I'm going to leave it there.

Shammy, same thing: he fought in the original UFC back in 93 and he's kept busy up until 2016.  That'd be 23 years, but unlike Tito, I can't even look back on his career and figure out where it started to be bullshit.  I don't know.  I feel like a piece of shit about this one.  He has some very obvious big wins over guys like Funaki, Bas, Matt Hume and Maurice Smith.  But there's also some long breaks in there, and he started working fights almost as soon as he began fighting.

I think the big winners in this conversation are Hendo, Hunto and Overeem.  I knew Wand would do well, but I didn't realize it was the full 20 years for him.

Very refined company.

ranier wolfcastle -

do we count the years they spent in non-ufc orgs?

That's tough.  When I made my list in the post after yours (but before I read your post), I really struggled with how to count Rings and IVC, Pancrase. 

There are some distinctions, too.  Guys like Kharitonov have faced much lesser competition than guys like Hunto and Overeem, who have been fighting murderers almost exclusively since Day One.

All of these guys should be in the HOF, IMO, even without considering any of their other remarkable accomplishments.  20 years is an outrageous amount of time to be one of the best fighters on the planet.  They're literally a group of about 10 guys that stand out from billions of people.  HOF shouldn't even be an argument.

Frankie Edgar, 2007

Bisping, 2006

Diego, 2005, but KOTC back to 2002... not sure how to count that one.

Nick Diaz 2003, but mostly inactive as of late.

BJ Penn... geez, this guy definitely belongs on the list. UFC since 2001, that's 16 years. 

I’m surprised Arlovski is still in UFC…I’m so used to seeing him get knocked out fast that his once intimidating aura is long gone…he has no chin yet insists on standing and banging…meh

Is Struve ever going to develop into a smart, dangerous tighter? I don’t think so

AA is a legend and even when he was out of the UFC he was still fighting the best. SF arguably had a deep roster with HWs that was on par with the UFC. AA has been up and down but he's had some crazy wins and is definitely a top 10 GOAT HW

"How tastes my big pee-pee?"

Acidic -

AA is a legend and even when he was out of the UFC he was still fighting the best. SF arguably had a deep roster with HWs that was on par with the UFC. AA has been up and down but he's had some crazy wins and is definitely a top 10 GOAT HW

One of GiGA's early, non-retard threads a couple years ago was Where Do You Rank Werdum, top 10 HW GOAT?... it actually turned into a pretty awesome conversation of lists.  Don't tell him I said it, though.

I think I had 3 tiers, no particular order in each tier:

JDS

Cain

Fedor

Werdum

Barnett

Couture

Hunto

Overeem

Big Nog

Mark Coleman

Notably absent from the list was Arlovski, Stipe and Lesnar.  I think I'd change that list up now...  I don't think I give enough credit to Hunt... the guy gets outclassed every now and again, but he never looks like he's just sparring.  10 years ago, I wouldn't have considered the sparring aspect, but after watching countless fights, nothing irritates me more than wasting my time watching a fight where both guys are totally fine with the fight going to a decision.  Anyhow...

Hunto

Fedor

JDS

Cain

Overeem

... pretty much everybody else.

Of course, Stipe, Cormier and Jones could all turn out to be the HW GOAT's, and just completely trash that list.

In