Armbar Like A Black Belt

This is the bread and butter of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Everyone loves the basic armbar from mount but very few people look at the finer details of how to train it as a white belt.

In this video I break down the beginners version and then show the full speed version. Keep in mind that you need to be careful not to knee your partner in the face and make sure to swing the leg over the head BEFORE you fall. If you stick to doing it the way that I show in the video you'll have a lot of success!

very nice details!

Excellent work as always, thank you!

thank god for another youtube instructional for a basic move you learn in your first class.

^^^^ You don't have to be a dick. I'd love to watch every blackbelt in this forum teach out the armbar, especially in that "beginner/blackbelt" format.

@daniel as a brown belt do you really expect to learn something new when you click a video about the the armbar? (unless Rickson is posting it).

very good technique for beginners. now i try to armbar like jacare though...

Truthfully, I'm not a fan of this series of instructional clips, myself.

There is a low "details to talking ratio".

There are already more detailed, more concise instructional clips of these same techniques readily available --and there have been for over a dozen years. With all due respect, I fail to see the point of posting the same old stuff without adding something unique or new.

traneufcisback -  He needs to work on turning hips to 90 degrees when teaching beginners. Beginners should focus on learning to turn hips to 90 degrees and falling perpendicular. They will get sloppy only half-turning and falling near legs, even if the eventual goal is to grab the legs. Basic movements first.

Also, more detail on the leg placement is needed as there are many different versions of this entry.

The basic one I learned was to hop FORWARD with hip and both feet into a squatting position with both knees up, and then do the turn, not put opposite leg up first. I think Pedro Sauer shows the "hop up" version to beginners as well.

I teach my students not to fall at 90 degrees.  I prefer, and think it's better, to fall in line with the body.  I also think it is much better to have your thigh laying across on your opponent when you swing that leg over the head than it is to fall at 90 degrees and not have that extra control.

Thanks for the comment though.

shen - 

There are already more detailed, more concise instructional clips of these same techniques readily available --and there have been for over a dozen years. With all due respect, I fail to see the point of posting the same old stuff without adding something unique or new.

My goal is to provide an instructional database of moves that people can learn from.  

There are a couple of youtube channels out there already doing this but I personally think that I can do it better, and for free.

When you see that I post a video you might not want to watch it because the majority of the videos will be foundational BJJ although I will be focusing on transitions, escapes, positional theories, sweeps and reversals in addition to submissions.  

Thanks for the criticism.  

No attrition no morale.  

Can you guys answer my armbar from the mount teaching question?

When teaching beginners who have never been taught the armbar from mount, which style of armbar from mount do you show them? I really only know two.

1. The way in the video above. I'd say this is the older more traditional style.

2. The way where you push your knees into a really high mount, and isolate an arm by establishing an S-mount. This is more of a pressure and positional approach, as opposed to quickly swinging around.

Which one should you teach first? Both? Another type? Thanks for any input.

I would teach both (and both are included in my curriculum).  They are both tools to go inside your toolbox for different situations.

For some that has not developed any hip movement yet the S armbar will be easier.  It can be done slower, requires less strength and, more importantly, less base perception. 

But these reasons stated above are the exact reasons that you show this armbar in the video early on.  It focuses on all of these fundamentals and helps develop them.

thanks Gerbil

Would you teach them on the same day? Show them one then immediately show them the other version?

I want to say that would confuse them, but maybe Im not giving people enough credit.

Gerbiljiujitsu - 
shen - 

My goal is to provide an instructional database of moves that people can learn from.  

There are a couple of youtube channels out there already doing this but I personally think that I can do it better, and for free.

When you see that I post a video you might not want to watch it because the majority of the videos will be foundational BJJ although I will be focusing on transitions, escapes, positional theories, sweeps and reversals in addition to submissions.  

Thanks for the criticism.  

No attrition no morale.  <br type="_moz" />

as someone who can't stand sub101, i appreciate anyone putting out legit instruction, especially in quantities to compete with ari. maybe someday you guys can drown that fucker with enough vids to make him obsolete.

elgringo - thanks Gerbil

Would you teach them on the same day? Show them one then immediately show them the other version?

I want to say that would confuse them, but maybe Im not giving people enough credit.

There are 6 weeks between teaching the basic armbar and the S mount armbar in my curriculum.  I also teach another version of the armbar that is much easier to learn and kind of serves as an in between.  I'm sure when I post that video there will be a lot of flaming on it, but it is honestly my highest percentage armbar and I get advanced people with it regularly.

I will be posting a video a day so you're looking at about 5 more weeks until that video gets up (the S mount armbar).

I would probably avoid teaching them on the same day.  I prefer to teach one technique a day and review the three previous days techniques.  

"drillers are killers"

sanchezero -

as someone who can't stand sub101, i appreciate anyone putting out legit instruction, especially in quantities to compete with ari. maybe someday you guys can drown that fucker with enough vids to make him obsolete.

this

I am totally stealing that "drillers are killers" quote, awesome! :) Phone Post

Wow, a lot of dicks on this thread. Thanks Jeremy. As someone who has trained with you in Brazil, I understand the depth in which you analyse the game. Keep it up, because the techniques you have taught me are solid as fuck.

Sub Phone Post

trianglinho - @daniel as a brown belt do you really expect to learn something new when you click a video about the the armbar? (unless Rickson is posting it).

very good technique for beginners. now i try to armbar like jacare though...

I was at a Rickson seminar last year that was almost exclusively black and brown belts. He asked several black belts to come in and show the armbar and the first half dozen or so of them, according to Rickson, were not doing it correctly.

I apologize for the sarcasm. I love video's on fundamental jiu jitsu. I have very little interest in the flashy stuff that's usually thrown on YT (and usually done piss poorly). I applaud Gerbil's approach to spreading basics first bjj for free.

However I didn't think the vid in question added or emphasized anything that's not out there already in clearer format. For instance the fantastic move of the week series by Kurt Osiander. Phone Post