Armor by John Steakley my review..

well i read vampire$ by the same author right before i read this one....i highly reccomend you NOT do this since the author is in love with certain character names and uses the same names in both books.....

the book....i absolutely loved the antwar porions of the book felix's plight and subsequent battles were good reading...the jack crow portios were not so good and seemed to belong in another book.....he was a very unlikeable charcater the "rouge with a heart of gold" but he hated his heart of gold....he was at times the ultimate bad ass and at other times seemd like a nieve pussy.....

overall the book was good and ended well i just wish teh two stories would have meshed together better....

if you want to read a good John Steakley book i roccomend Vampire$ it is written way better and hell is had vampires in it....it does make you want to gut punch John Carpenter for stealing it, bastardizing it and making it in to a mediocre movie.....

Hmmm, I have to disagree with you, I think Armor is by far the better of his novels. It is like The Forever War but written well :) Some really great characters and good takes on war that should be pretty relevant today. I agree that the Felix parts of the novel are more entertaining than Jack Crow's but I really think Jack Crow's part contributes quite a bit and fits in well. Jack is an interesting parallel of Felix. It is a real shame that Steakley hasn't written more. I read that he became a heavy drunk living off his family's wealth :(

I thought Armor was much better than Vamire$. One of my favorite scifi novels. I really liked the way he had what seemed to be two separate story lines coming together in the end.

I think it had a lot more depth than the other armor vs bug books out there (Starship Troopers, Forever War, Orphanage...)

Oh Timbo why? Why, oh why, must you blaspheme against Starship Troopers? Heinlein is one of the all time greatest writers and Starship Troopers is one of his best. I love Armor as well but to me ST is better.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I really liked Starship Troopers (and can't think of a Heinlein story I disliked). Without Starship Troopers, there never would have been a Forever War or Armor or Orphanage, or any other knockoffs/homages... I just preferred the way Armor conveyed the emotional and psychological toll of fighting that never ending battle...

Armor is a great book.

In fact, I rank it as a science fiction MUST READ.

Seriously.

I liked Armor, need to read Starship Troopers.

I liked them both