Army reserve...TME

A good friend of mine has been talking about joining the reserves and asked me my opinion. I don't know anything cause I was not in the military. This guy is already in his late 30's with a family, but has feels he has a calling. Do I encourage him or try to talk him out of it?

Tell him be a man and go active duty. Reserves are for people who want attention but don't want to do the actual work of a real soldier. Lol

At 39? I don't doubt he can physically do it.

But he in all liklihood won't get what he signs up for.

How is he going to deal with having someone with 1/2 his intelligence and 1/10th his life experience micromanaging his every move? That persons idea of leadership is forcing those below him or her to convince her how good they are at their job?

The regular army is just that....regular. I believe they have the lowest standards of admission of any branch.

Hows he going to handle being ordered by a fat dumb woman to carry some other fat woman's gear during a 20 mile road march?

The military isn't the insulated culture he believes it to be.

Mrbuckyohare - Tell him be a man and go active duty. Reserves are for people who want attention but don't want to do the actual work of a real soldier. Lol
I would not heed this advice.

It is the craziest logic I have ever heard. I went reserves, served 10 as reservist, lucky I didn't get activated.

Got out when they tried to fuck me, but that is what they did to everyone back then.

I wouldn't touch the military these days, but if he does, he should sign for minimum possible, as this will give him option to get out if he hates it.

The Reserves can be OK depending on the MOS and unit. I would recommend an MOS that has a real world function. Otherwise there will be a lot of wasted weekends. Just avoid an MP unit. The Tri-Care Reserve medical is pretty good and cheap.

I would also recommend looking into the Air National Guard if you want to go only part time.

After he goes thru basic training and AIt, the expectations severely drop off, most reserve units do not do a whole lot, and go in during their Battle Trainins Assemblies and don't accomplish much 

Tell him to do National Guard instead of Reserves. Doesn't matter if he does Air or Army Guard but do that over the reserves. 

choadler -
Mrbuckyohare - Tell him be a man and go active duty. Reserves are for people who want attention but don't want to do the actual work of a real soldier. Lol
I would not heed this advice.

It is the craziest logic I have ever heard. I went reserves, served 10 as reservist, lucky I didn't get activated.

Got out when they tried to fuck me, but that is what they did to everyone back then.

I wouldn't touch the military these days, but if he does, he should sign for minimum possible, as this will give him option to get out if he hates it.
Obviously it's not for everyone. It wasn't for you.

This

If he picks a MOS like cook or regular infantry, I can almost guarantee he will hate his time in as we will be working with so many lazy, dumbasses.  I bet your friend has this vision of the military like it is Band of Brothers, but I can assure it is nothing like that.

There is so many bullshit rules that are constantly enforced and you will get bitch out like a child for a minor infraction.  Throughout your  career you will have leadership who have massive egos and significant power of your life, but are functionally retarded.   Mass punishment is huge in the Army and if one person royally fucks up, it can screw everybody over in your unit.

The Army is what you make of it.  I was active duty Army for 5 years and had a pretty interesting military intelligence MOS (35M).  I got do some amazing stuff in Iraq and South Korea.  I am proud of my service, but there was no way I could do 20 years.  

What's MOS? I'll have tomorrow ask him what he wants to get into.

Military Occupational Specialty.  You can still enlist at 39?

What branch are you in?

theINFAMOUScarpe -

This

Maybe he has a good job and it would be stupid to go full time.

I thought 37 was the age limit

If he goes into the Army Reserves tell him to look into MISO or Civil Affairs. Or tell him to look into the Air Force Reserves and get a flight job. The Air National Guard has some good Intel jobs as well as jobs working with drones.

Reenz - 

I thought 37 was the age limit

Apparently it was raised to 42 for the army reserves.

KeezyDoesIt -
theINFAMOUScarpe -

This

Maybe he has a good job and it would be stupid to go full time.

If he values his life he better hope he doesn't get deployed then. Reserves are not prepared for that shit. We had to bail out many NG and Reservists in Iraq bc they were completely jacked up

But in my honest opinion he should not do it. If he has a family and in his late 30s he's got too much to lose. Military fucks you up