Art Davie details Rickson friction

sosy1325 -
Ch1ef - 
JoeVIP -
Ch1ef - "He ended up going over to Japan, where he fought mostly against men with losing records. He got his big bucks fighting guys a lot of purple belts could have beat."

Not very respectful. Phone Post 3.0
But true Phone Post 3.0
Why drag a guys dick in the dirt two decades later? Phone Post 3.0

If that's what happened, then what else do you expect him to say? Rickson Gracie fighting some pretty mediocre guys in Japan isn't some big revelation.
Phrasing bro. The words chosen were clearly intended to cause disrespect.

I can get the same point across without being purposely hurtful. Phone Post 3.0

He sounds butthurt, like the competition in the UFC was any better durning that period?

Rickson was levels above everyone IMO and it didn't matter where he fought, don't hate the guy for getting paid Phone Post 3.0

JoeVIP  - 
Zanzoken - I don't know much about this stuff, but I always thought they chose Royce for the first UFC because he was smaller than Rickson and it would serve as further proof that BJJ was the best martial art.
That's what he said. Rickson issue wasn't till UFC 4. Phone Post 3.0

Well just going off that interview, Davie makes it sound like the reason they didn't choose Rickson for UFC 1 was because he and Rorion weren't getting along. Then they had talks again before UFC 4 but Rickson priced himself out of it.

Again, I don't know any of this firsthand, just going off of what has been written here.

Interesting stuff. Phone Post 3.0

I love rickson gracie think he wuld of been better having him in ufc 1 2 3 and so on just because he could of dominated more imagine if it was him would of been better to watch the mauling but under stand why it was royce

The only fight i truely believe Rickson should of had as ultimate test is BAS RUTTEN !!!! heard Rickson ducked bas a few times thats the one my friends any one have any details on this

98lbweakling - Interesting stuff. Phone Post 3.0
+1 Phone Post 3.0

ttt

Ch1ef - "He ended up going over to Japan, where he fought mostly against men with losing records. He got his big bucks fighting guys a lot of purple belts could have beat."

Not very respectful. Phone Post 3.0

When Rickson fought in the tournament in Japan, he had no control over who was in the tournament or who he fought. It is amazing that people see as a "Rickson issue". I would have loved to have seen Rickson fight a lot of people and wish there would have been better talent in the early tournaments. I just don't how you blame him because of who a promoter got to fight in an event. Seems a bit unfair to me.

I do understand the frustrations and comments of fans when Rickson was selective on his fights later in his career in Japan. Then again,I always respected that Rickson or any other fighter has the right to make whatever choices they feel are best for their career, even if I don't agree with them.

I feel that if Rickson fought in the UFC, we'd see a rather different approach to BJJ and the evolution to MMA.

Skinny-assed Royce showed the power of pure BJJ, whereas Rickson would've pulverized opponents with a certain amount of physicality. It's almost like a Carlson vs. Helio style, even though Rickson is obviously from the Helio line.

My understanding is that Rickson was always the top choice for the UFC. The issue was a mix of him wanting too much cash and Rorion preferring Royce, who was more under Rorion's control than Rickson.

According to the DVD Gracies and the Birth of Vale Tudo, another reason that Rickson always demanded so much money is because Rorion had tricked Rickson into signing an English-written contract that required Rickson to pay like 80% (my memory's no perfect on the percentage, but it was up there in the 70-90% range if I remember correctly) when Rickson essentially spoke no English. Assuming this is true, we have to take this into account when criticizing Rickson's attitude and choices.

Chaff Phone Post 3.0

king@queens - I feel that if Rickson fought in the UFC, we'd see a rather different approach to BJJ and the evolution to MMA.

Skinny-assed Royce showed the power of pure BJJ, whereas Rickson would've pulverized opponents with a certain amount of physicality. It's almost like a Carlson vs. Helio style, even though Rickson is obviously from the Helio line.
I feel rickson has a style between Carlson/renzo/Ralph and Helio. In my opinion he has as technical style as Helio, but MAKES things happen as opposed to waiting for openings. I kinda put him in the middle of broad spectrum.

I would have loved to have seen him fight the UFC 5 and on fighters. Phone Post 3.0

There was a story floating around that Art lied to Rickson because he was told Karlin (spelling?) was in. That's when he said he would do it, but for a mil. Phone Post 3.0

Jack Taufer - There was a story floating around that Art lied to Rickson because he was told Karlin (spelling?) was in. That's when he said he would do it, but for a mil. Phone Post 3.0

Rickson vs. Karelin?

Zanzoken - I don't know much about this stuff, but I always thought they chose Royce for the first UFC because he was smaller than Rickson and it would serve as further proof that BJJ was the best martial art.
No they picked Rickson but he wanted too much control and money for Rorion so he just trained Royce for I and II Phone Post 3.0

Bad ass quote by Helio Phone Post 3.0

There has been so many variations and revisionist history about the early UFCs. Impossible to know what to believe.

Musashi - Gee thanks for sharing your ancient insider stories, Uncle Art.

How about the time you betrayed the entire sport while trying to make a few bucks promoting kickboxing. How about that time?

-

Art Davie Promotions
3/19/98

Robert Meyrowitz, CEO
SEG Sports, Inc

Dear Robert,

I'm writing to urge you, as the owner of THE ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIPS TM (UFC), to reconsider promoting these tournaments in light of the untimely death of American Douglas Dedge. As you well know, Dedge's participation in an ultimate fighting event in the Ukraine caused severe brain injuries and resulted in death. He is survived, in this tragedy, by his wife and five children.

As the man who discovered these spectacles, I packaged them and brought them to you to televise in 1993. I wrote the only rule books that exist for the UFC and served as Commissioner of the UFA, the UFC sanctioning body, from September 1995 to December 1997. I know, better than anyone, the dangers inherent in this type of combat

When I brought this event to you, I advised you that this was hand-to-hand combat and not a sport. Our original contracts with the fighters warned them that they faced "....risks and rigors not normally associated with traditional martial arts, boxing or kickboxing events".

SEG Sports, your company, advertised the earliest tournaments as "....the bloodiest, most barbaric show in history". You and I knew what we were doing. It was only when politicians and cable TV industry executives began to oppose us, that a decision was made by you to resell the UFC (hand-to-hand fighting) as a "sport". I supported you, at that time, to
protect your franchise.

To continue now to promote these spectacles is risky at best. At the very least, you run the risk of being labeled a hypocrite or a fool and at worst, some young man will eventually die before your very eyes. Are you prepared for that?

I am, as we both know, no longer associated with the UFC and have returned
to the traditional martial arts. I am going to promote athletic contests that are acceptable to the States that regulate them. Twelve States have outlawed the UFC....and now a young man has died tragically. This is a wake-up call....I strongly urge you, as your friend, to reconsider your decision to promote the UFC.

Sincerely,

Arthur Davie

AD/jmp

cc: Senator John McCain
Snakey fibber Phone Post 3.0

<blockquote>JohnMorgansBlueShirt - <span id='userPost50549629' class='User-350574'>Someone please confirm that Rorion and Rickson are "full" brothers, please.</span></blockquote><br />Rorion, Relson, Rickson same mother, Isabal( Margarida), Rolker, Royler, Royce, Robin mother is Vera.

Can't blame rickson, he made a lot of money doing his own thing. And Gracie family jj has had a reputation of being a financially motivated venture for as long as I have been watching mma