Art Davie details Rickson friction

Babymonst - I love rickson gracie think he wuld of been better having him in ufc 1 2 3 and so on just because he could of dominated more imagine if it was him would of been better to watch the mauling but under stand why it was royce

The only fight i truely believe Rickson should of had as ultimate test is BAS RUTTEN !!!! heard Rickson ducked bas a few times thats the one my friends any one have any details on this

Stated this before but Chris Dolman from Jon Bluming's dojo were the Dutchmen who wanted that fight and say they couldn't get it. Semmy Schilt I think was from that gym. Bluming was a pioneer.

To add Bas was Dolman's student and Dolman was a Sambo competitor, Judoka, and had Kyokushinkai/kickboxing stand-up. Considering he was well into the 200's weight wise he was a risk. He was already up there in age.

JohnMorgansBlueShirt - Someone please confirm that Rorion and Rickson are "full" brothers, please.

Rorian, Relson and Rickson all had the same mother (the maid I believe).

http://www.gracie.com/family/tree.html#1generation

"He ended up going over to Japan, where he fought mostly against men with losing records. He got his big bucks fighting guys a lot of purple belts could have beat."

Whether this is true or not...apparently Rickson was paid VERY well for doing so.

And if providing for himself and his family was his motivation for doing this in the first place, then I think Rickson made a very smart choice..

In the real big picture of life itself...this is Jiu Jitsu on a very high level...avoiding your opponents strengths while making the most gains with the least expenditure of energy.

Most purple belts would definitely NOT have won either of those JVT events.

The question is how many black belts at the time would have won either event. Probably less than you'd think. Very few (if any) would have won so easily.

Rickson could have been beaten back then.

Just watch Choke.

He got beat up that night.

IMO Nakai was the guy with the biggest heart and had he and Rickson fought first fight, Rickson might have lost.

In Phone Post 3.0

e. kaye - 

Just watch Choke.

IMO Nakai was the guy with the biggest heart and had he and Rickson fought first fight, Rickson might have lost.

Rickson could have beat him with one hand no offense

Winston Wolf -
e. kaye - 

Just watch Choke.

Agreed.
I watched JJ in a Gi tap out Nikia. And in an interview on the JRE JJ says Rickson trained him, taught him, took him under his wing. I posted the video on another thread. JJ was very humble and respectful of Rickson's ability and techniques. Saying things like he was already a legend in Brazil before the UFC even started. Phone Post 3.0

Winston Wolf - 
e. kaye - 

Just watch Choke.

Not sure what you were watching.   Rickson might have won his matches, but he took a beatinig.   If you are susceptible to taking a beating, you can be beat.   

e. kaye - 
Winston Wolf - 
e. kaye - 

Just watch Choke.

Not sure what you were watching.   Rickson might have won his matches, but he took a beatinig.   If you are susceptible to taking a beating, you can be beat.   

what beating ?which fight He easilly won every fight and would beat Nakai 100 out of 100 times easilly.He actually admitted he took it easy on him

He took it easy becauase Nakai was half dead with one eye hanging out of this head.

RIckson got beat up in his first fights.  Before winning them.

He looked quite average that night against not superstar competition.

He has terrible stand up and relies on moving his head out of the way to avoid punches.  I always said that was his best skill standing up.   But if he is off a little, he gets hit.

Winston Wolf - 
e. kaye - 
Winston Wolf - 
e. kaye - 

Just watch Choke.

what beating ?which fight He easilly won every fight and would beat Nakai 100 out of 100 times easilly.He actually admitted he took it easy on him

He's probably referring to the Funaki fight where Funaki threw one punch from Rickson's guard and broke his orbital bone.  Not at the same event though.

Takata caught him with a knee that looked like it hurt him. Phone Post 3.0