Article: Tuchscherer's "Balls" Against Gonzaga

Chris Tuchscherer Shows Commendable Heart in UFC Debut

Posted by Dallas Winston | UFC | Monday 31 August 2009 4:56 pm

CHRis TUCHSCHERER

There have been many inspirational examples of fighters showing a tremendous amount of heart, exemplifying the oft-referenced “warrior spirit” exuded by such MMA greats as Yuki Nakai, Kazushi Sakuraba, and Javi Vasquez (see Crane vs. Vasquez if curious at the inclusion of the latter).

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Minnesota Mixed Martial Arts fighter Chris Tuchscherer to the list.

You may or may not have read about the events and outcome of his UFC debut against Gabriel Gonzaga, a gorilla-chested BJJ black belt with striking skills sufficient enough to crumble one of the top knockout artists in MMA in Mirko CroCop, and the man one could label the fang-bearing packleader of the proverbial wolves that many speculated Tuchscherer was being thrown to for his first big fight in the octagon.

In the opening moments of the bout, Gonzaga, with the intention of an inside leg kick, swiveled a powerful left kick dead-center into the groin of Tuchscherer, accented by a loud, cracking noise of foot-to-cup that may have shattered any china dinnerware sets within audible distance.  Tuchscherer obviously experienced the delay in pain commonly associated with absorbing a blow of large force to the testicles, known well by all males as the gut wrenching “calm before the storm”, as he continued fighting for a moment until the first waves of agony hit him, then he motioned to the ref before being reduced to writhing in pain on the octagon floor and vomiting into a bucket.

Goldberg and Rogan had written Tuchscherer off due to the severity of the injury, and were literally astounded when Tuchscherer replaced his mouthpiece with the intent to continue fighting after gritting his teeth through the allotted five-minute respite time.  For reference, I’ve taken several days off of work for even the slightest graze to this sensitive area, and Tuchscherer was ready to launch himself back into a full-contact, professional mixed martial arts fight with a top 10 HW after only five minutes.

As if this wasn’t enough to earn your admiration, Gonzaga treated Tuchscherer to a brutal left high-kick to the face, once again dropping him to the canvas after only a few seconds of action.  This was the same kick (opposite leg) that nearly put CroCop into a coma, and I was surprised that Tuchscherer was not only still conscious, but fighting with all of his might to snare a leg and stand back up.  Gonzaga took advantage of the stunned fighter by peppering him with elbows before attaining the mount, where he landed a full force forearm to the face, which caused Tuchscherer to roll to his back.  Gonzaga began to sink in the choke to cries from Rogan and Goldberg that the fight would soon once again be over, but the dynamic duo ate their words for the second time as Tuchscherer fought off the choke while taking several left hands in the process.

(more…)

Yeah... Props to Chris

I once had my cup SHATTERED by a slap shot in ice hockey. no shit. When I crawled off the ice, I reached down and pulled shards of my hard Nike 'banana' cup out of my jock.

I was in agony for the rest of the period, and sat it out, puking, etc. Literally needed about twenty to thirty minutes to recover, and was still wincing during movement.

Serious props for Tuchs for getting back in there with only five minutes break. Dude is one tough SOB.

Meohfumado - I once had my cup SHATTERED by a slap shot in ice hockey. no shit. When I crawled off the ice, I reached down and pulled shards of my hard Nike 'banana' cup out of my jock.

I was in agony for the rest of the period, and sat it out, puking, etc. Literally needed about twenty to thirty minutes to recover, and was still wincing during movement.

Serious props for Tuchs for getting back in there with only five minutes break. Dude is one tough SOB.

Damn, that's a bad day.

Not only did he keep going after 5 minutes, but he ate a high kick to the face, was mounted, elbowed in the face from mount, almost choked out, the list goes on and on.

He kept fighting through it all.

How come the metal cups aren't more popular like they are in Thailand? Nut shots were legal in Thai into the 80's - They even had a Hall Famer that was basicly the World Nut Shotting Champion. With a metal cup, if he goes for it, it's going to hurt him as bad as it hurts you.

Remember also the Sakara broken cup in UFC 55?

didn't Wady break Yvel's cup or something during their match, that was some good karma though to see Yvel get hit with an illegal blow,lol.

GladiatorGannon - How come the metal cups aren't more popular like they are in Thailand? Nut shots were legal in Thai into the 80's - They even had a Hall Famer that was basicly the World Nut Shotting Champion. With a metal cup, if he goes for it, it's going to hurt him as bad as it hurts you.

Sean, you would know better than most:  can you use a metal cup in the UFC?  Is there a rule about this, or is it fighter choice?

I don't see anything specific in any of the published unified rules.

john joe - why not just take the no contest and not risk getting the L on your record after being severely compromised by the ball-shot?

IMO thats what CroCop should have done in the Kongo fight, and Tusch would have been well within his rights to do so at 102. The man was puking into a bucket for god's sake.

Fair play to him for having such heart, but at the UFC level, I wouldnt be letting my fighter continue after taking such a shot. 'Budo' pride aside, this is a pro career on the line and the competition is stiff enough without getting smacked in your nuts.

Well, its a calculated risk, and Dana has made it clear that he rewards fighters who tough things out like this.

He prefers fighters who just "fucking fight" rather than take the safe, calculated approach.

Any thoughts on the steel cup rule?

Tough MF'r

GladiatorGannon - How come the metal cups aren't more popular like they are in Thailand? Nut shots were legal in Thai into the 80's - They even had a Hall Famer that was basicly the World Nut Shotting Champion. With a metal cup, if he goes for it, it's going to hurt him as bad as it hurts you.

He was wearing a metal cup.

Verbal Kint - 

He was wearing a metal cup.

DAMN!

they shouldnt of allowed him to fight, your telling me when a guy even mentions he cant see they stop the fight every time, but puking into a bucket for a minute isnt grounds for a NC? makes no sense at all. tuff SOB for sure, but i wish he didnt continue so he wouldnt have that bullcrap loss on his record

Most nut shots are not really that bad, and fighters like to take timeouts just to recoup and get some air. Matt Hughes was the worst at taking advantage of this.

Puking is a sure sign you got hit in the bulls eye. No one on the planet would question Chris if he couldnt continue after that shot, except for Joe Son.

john joe - 
PembrokePinesVillain -  they shouldnt of allowed him to fight, your telling me when a guy even mentions he cant see they stop the fight every time, but puking into a bucket for a minute isnt grounds for a NC? makes no sense at all. tuff SOB for sure, but i wish he didnt continue so he wouldnt have that bullcrap loss on his record

i agree, and to me it devalues that TKO win on Gonzaga's record because it was all precipitated by a massive kick to the bollocks.

IMO it almost sets a dangerous precedent for fighters to say 'well, i might as well throw that one illegal shot coz i will get away with it and then i can capitalise without fear of the NC'.

But any fighter could have done or can do that at any time in MMA.  It comes down to the moral and ethical decision of a fighter in regards to purposely commiting a foul under the premise that it was unintentional.

We can't cater the rules to the likelihood this will happen, and remember, Tuchscherer would have been more than warranted to say he didn't feel like he could continue.

I watched this fight again last night and am still in disbelief that he went back out. He got hit square in the go-nads...to the point of puking from the force of the shot. That dude is like a old warrior that goes head on into a battle that he has NO chance of winning because that is what he was put on this earth to do.
Then Gonzaga is pacing back and forth like a gorilla, per Joe Rogan, looking for the kill shot.
The head kick made the same thundering sound that the nutt shot did...not sure how it didn't knock him out
This guy has some testicular fortitude!

Meohfumado - I once had my cup SHATTERED by a slap shot in ice hockey. no shit. When I crawled off the ice, I reached down and pulled shards of my hard Nike 'banana' cup out of my jock.

And you call yourself a hockey player? You shouldn't have missed a line...

I just watched the fight for the first time yesterday. Did anyone else think when Gonzaga stood up towards the end, it looked like he was letting Chris up but instead he threw a nasty left.

Did anyone else think that was kind of a cheap shot?

TUFF-N-UFF -  I just watched the fight for the first time yesterday. Did anyone else think when Gonzaga stood up towards the end, it looked like he was letting Chris up but instead he threw a nasty left.

Did anyone else think that was kind of a cheap shot?

I didn't notice that...I was most likely still covering my face making weird noises after the nutt shot heard around the world.