'Artistic' Swimmer Passes Out in Pool at Event

ARTISTIC SWIMMER ANITA ALVAREZ PASSES OUT IN POOL DURING EVENT… Heroically Saved By Coach

Anita Alvarez Rescued During Artistic Swimming Finals
THE HEROIC RESCUELAUNCH GALLERY
Getty

An artistic swimmer nearly lost her life after passing out in the pool following an intense routine at a major event Wednesday … but, thankfully, her coach quickly dove into the water and rescued her.

The terrifying scene went down at the FINA World Aquatic Championships in Budapest, Hungary … when American Anita Alvarez had just wrapped up a performance in the women’s solo free event and suddenly fainted.

The photos from the pool are horrifying … they show a lifeless Alvarez sinking to the bottom, clearly in danger of drowning.

Fortunately, her coach, Andrea Fuentes, immediately knew something was wrong … and jumped in to save her.

Fuentes grabbed Alvarez, pulled her to the top … and, according to U.S. Artistic Swimming officials, the 25-year-old swimmer is now expected to be OK despite the grim images.

Play video content

PULLED FROM THE WATER

All Aquatics/Eurovision Sports

“Anita has been evaluated by medical staff and will continue to be monitored,” the team said in a statement Thursday morning. “She is already feeling much better and using today to rest.”

Fuentes, meanwhile, spoke about her heroic efforts to BBC on Thursday morning … saying she had to rub Alvarez’s face to get her to release the water she had taken into her lungs after collapsing in the pool.

U.S. Artistic Swim officials said there is now a chance Alvarez could still compete in Friday’s team event.

They added they’re “immensely thankful” to Fuentes for her “genuine love and urgency” in the horrifying moment at the pool.

WWBCD?

What would Bill Cosby Do?

2 Likes

Coach shouted at the ‘lifeguard’ to do something before she jumped in herself…

1 Like

I shouldn’t laugh, but I laughed.

anne hathaway dat ass GIF

4 Likes

dont hire lifeguards from Uvalde

12 Likes

God dammit, I LOLd.

3 Likes

You son of a bitch! I want that mouthful of coffee back!

2 Likes

did she have a seizure? also i’m curious about the rub the face, clear the lungs method.

WTF is an ‘artistic’ swimmer?

BUDAPEST, Hungary – Andrea Fuentes prevented a tragedy at the swimming world championship with her quick reaction.

The United States coach knew something was wrong when she saw artistic swimmer Anita Alvarez sink motionless to the bottom of the pool during a solo free routine Wednesday.

Fuentes dived in, fully clothed. She swam to the unresponsive Alvarez, put her arms around her and lifted her to the water’s surface, where another person helped get her out of the pool.

Alvarez, a two-time Olympian, had fainted.

“It was her best performance ever, she just pushed through her limits and she found them,” Fuentes joked.

Alvarez, who was immediately given medical attention, was feeling much better Thursday.

“Anita has been evaluated by medical staff and will continue to be monitored. She is feeling much better and using today to rest,” USA Artistic Swimming told The Associated Press in a statement.

did her teammate give her mouth to mouth? is there footage?

They needed the lifeguard from the Zip Line fool

1 Like

She gave her ass 2 mouth.

synchronized-swimming-snl (2)

2 Likes

Like Rhythmic Gymnastics but in the water?

People actually watch this shit ?

people watch golf…so I guess anything is possible

1 Like

How do you spectate from the stands when all the “action” happens under water?