As of now, Khabib only 4th best LW Champion

Not taking into account their careers as a whole, but stricktly under the premise of-

Who did they beat to become the champion, who did they defend the title against, how were those fights won, and how many successfull title defenses did they have, Khabib is #4.

3 sucessfull title defenses > two successful title defenses

Benson Henderson-Beat the champ to become champ

Frankie Edgar-Beat the hcamp to become champ

BJ Penn fought Joe Big Daddy Stevenson for the title, finished him

Khabib fought #11 ranked Al Iaquinta who took the fight on short notice, Khabib won via decision

Based on who they beat to become champion, Khabib clearly ranks #4

In terms of WHO they beat after becoming champion, and how, even Frankie Edgar holds a slight edge over Khabib. If Khabib loses to Justin, Khabib will have had only 2 successful title defenses.  Frankie has 3, but his first fight with Gray Maynard was a draw, but in title fights, the champion retains the title in draw outcomes so technically, Frankie has 3 succesfull title defenses. 

Two wins and a draw vs 2 wins, advantage goes to two wins and a draw

BJ Penn=#1 LW Champion.  Finish of Joe Big Daddy Stevenson > decision win against short notice Iaquinta

BJ's competition as champ-Sean Sherk, Kenny Florian, Diego Nightmare Sanchez.  Finishes and dominant performances in all 3.

Purely when the discussion is best LW CHAMPION, how can you rank Khabib ahead of those guys?

Now, in terms of overall career, definitely a better argument could be made for Khabib. 

Has this perspective changed anyone's opinion?

5 Likes

My opinion is and has always been that Khabib is overrated and will be exposed. It goes down this month. Justin is the champion we need.

Also.. Good breakdown. Penn is ahead at LW for sure. I agree.

1 Like

While Khabib may be overrated, he has done all he is supposed to so far.

However you need to match the previous greats accomplishments to be regarded among them.

To be a great, you need to win a significant belt and defend it multiple times. The more dominant and stylish you are in doing that, the greater your claim.

1 Like

Yes. The guy who is 28-0 and has only ever lost 1 fuckin round is sooo overrated. You dimwits need to open your own forum for other Special needs MMA fans. Your types are are inspirational.

8 Likes
JThomasufc91 - 

My opinion is and has always been that Khabib is overrated and will be exposed. It goes down this month. Justin is the champion we need.

How can you think that a guy who has destroyed a near prime RDA, Conor, and Dustin and never lost is overrated?

1 Like
NakedYoga420 - Yes. The guy who is 28-0 and has only ever lost 1 fuckin round is sooo overrated. You dimwits need to open your own forum for other Special needs MMA fans. Your types are are inspirational.

That was pretty funny. And we have a special needs forum - Teh OG! ;-)

4 Likes
BringBackHeadbutts - 

Not taking into account their careers as a whole, but stricktly under the premise of-

Who did they beat to become the champion, who did they defend the title against, how were those fights won, and how many successfull title defenses did they have, Khabib is #4.

3 sucessfull title defenses > two successful title defenses

Benson Henderson-Beat the champ to become champ

Frankie Edgar-Beat the hcamp to become champ

BJ Penn fought Joe Big Daddy Stevenson for the title, finished him

Khabib fought #11 ranked Al Iaquinta who took the fight on short notice, Khabib won via decision

Based on who they beat to become champion, Khabib clearly ranks #4

In terms of WHO they beat after becoming champion, and how, even Frankie Edgar holds a slight edge over Khabib. If Khabib loses to Justin, Khabib will have had only 2 successful title defenses.  Frankie has 3, but his first fight with Gray Maynard was a draw, but in title fights, the champion retains the title in draw outcomes so technically, Frankie has 3 succesfull title defenses. 

Two wins and a draw vs 2 wins, advantage goes to two wins and a draw

BJ Penn=#1 LW Champion.  Finish of Joe Big Daddy Stevenson > decision win against short notice Iaquinta

BJ's competition as champ-Sean Sherk, Kenny Florian, Diego Nightmare Sanchez.  Finishes and dominant performances in all 3.

Purely when the discussion is best LW CHAMPION, how can you rank Khabib ahead of those guys?

Now, in terms of overall career, definitely a better argument could be made for Khabib. 

Has this perspective changed anyone's opinion?

You’re ignoring the fact that his first title defense came against the guy who vacated the title…so it’s not like Khabib isn’t the “real” champ because he never beat the guy who had the belt. Either way, your premise doesn’t really make sense.

You have such a low appreciation for fight analysis and grappling overall, you actually believe this.

Khabib would fucking annihilate each and every one of those fighters. All lacked the physical attributes needed to beat him, and all lacked the requisite games to counter him. 

seriously do us all a favor and listen to Heavy Hands podcast break down the current champs vs. previous champs. 

You may not like it, but Khabib would have brutalized BJ worse than that bar drunk did. 

1 Like

https://youtu.be/JmCOAGFPswM

NakedYoga420 - Yes. The guy who is 28-0 and has only ever lost 1 fuckin round is sooo overrated. You dimwits need to open your own forum for other Special needs MMA fans. Your types are are inspirational.

hE oNlY hAs 8-9 rEaL wInS!!!!!!!

Ok? He still fucking wipes the floor with BJ, Bendo, and Frankie. 

Stopped reading after the second paragraph. Lay off the weed man, it's making you retarded.

Good post. But clearly Khabib is the best lw to date. I'd put Frankie and Eddy as number 2 and 3

wiggum -
JThomasufc91 - 

How can you think that a guy who has destroyed a near prime RDA, Conor, and Dustin and never lost is overrated?

I’ve said many times he’s great. He’s the best at what he does. Much like Ronda was. For a time. The hype surrounding them is similar. Eventually her striking was exposed when she couldn’t get a takedown. I see the same thing happening to Khabib. 

1 Like
Kirik -
NakedYoga420 - Yes. The guy who is 28-0 and has only ever lost 1 fuckin round is sooo overrated. You dimwits need to open your own forum for other Special needs MMA fans. Your types are are inspirational.

That was pretty funny. And we have a special needs forum - Teh OG! ;-)

Coming from the guy who wrote an article saying Khabib is the most dominant champion in "league" history. The guy only has two title defenses. Get real Kirik. We know you love Khabib. But at least write your articles objectively.

2 Likes
JThomasufc91 - 
wiggum -
JThomasufc91 - 

I’ve said many times he’s great. He’s the best at what he does. Much like Ronda was. For a time. The hype surrounding them is similar. Eventually her striking was exposed when she couldn’t get a takedown. I see the same thing happening to Khabib. 

Do you think Anderson was “exposed” by Weidman?

For years, I said that he would be vulnerable to a great offensive wrestler with excellent jiujitsu and reasonable striking. For years, Anderson showed that the MW division simply didn’t have someone fitting that bill. Until Weidman.

I don’t think Weidman exposed Anderson. I think that he simply showed that there was one type of fighter against whom he was uniquely vulnerable.

Similarly, I don’t think Justin winning would expose anything. Khabib has wins over great, well rounded fighters (RDA, Dustin); very good grapplers (Trujilo), and great strikers (Conor, Edson).

For years, people have speculated about how a great striker with top notch wrestling would do against him. I don’t think a loss means Khabib is exposed. It just means he has one specific vulnerability.

3 Likes
wiggum -
JThomasufc91 - 
wiggum -
JThomasufc91 - 

Do you think Anderson was “exposed” by Weidman?

For years, I said that he would be vulnerable to a great offensive wrestler with excellent jiujitsu and reasonable striking. For years, Anderson showed that the MW division simply didn’t have someone fitting that bill. Until Weidman.

I don’t think Weidman exposed Anderson. I think that he simply showed that there was one type of fighter against whom he was uniquely vulnerable.

Similarly, I don’t think Justin winning would expose anything. Khabib has wins over great, well rounded fighters (RDA, Dustin); very good grapplers (Trujilo), and great strikers (Conor, Edson).

For years, people have speculated about how a great striker with top notch wrestling would do against him. I don’t think a loss means Khabib is exposed. It just means he has one specific vulnerability.

No I don’t think he was. But Anderson has what 10 title defenses? Thats much different than gaining the title by fighting Al, 2 year lay off Conor and Dustin. He did have a couple other good wins. But for all the hype surrounding him. In my opinion he needs to defend his title quite a few more times. I’m not saying he’s not good. And if he does beat Justin he will in my opinion be the goat LW. But he would have a long way to go to be considered the most dominant champ in ufc history.

1 Like

I believe prime Bendo could have beaten Khabib.  He had great TD defense, cardio and good submissions

Looks like I have triggered a bunch of you lol.

What none of you will do, tell me what is factually incorrect about my post.

No hypothetical “what ifs”, just pure facts.

Facts got some of you triggered.

1 Like
BringBackHeadbutts - Looks like I have triggered a bunch of you lol.

fwiw, I think LW is probably the only weight where there is a difference between the division’s all-time greatest fighter (I think it’s Khabib) and all-time greatest champion (not Khabib, yet).

1 Like
wiggum - 
BringBackHeadbutts - Looks like I have triggered a bunch of you lol.

fwiw, I think LW is probably the only weight where there is a difference between the division’s all-time greatest fighter (I think it’s Khabib) and all-time greatest champion (not Khabib, yet).

Which is 100% fair.  Hell, I'd even agree with that. 

That's why I wanted to make this thread, because I'm sure you and I are not alone in thinking this way. 

Has this EVER happened, in any sport?  Like the Bills can't be considered better than the 90's Cowboys, but they sure were close to being considered a dynasty without ever having one the big one. 

Again, not taking into account his career as a whole, judging strickly from his title fights, Khabib isn't the most accomplished LW Champion.  People are having a very hard time with me saying that. 

2 Likes